• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Question For Republicans

Started by Mephisto, November 04, 2004, 02:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Arta

Funny how, increasingly, people just seem not to know what they're talking about when Hazard disagrees with therm..

Hazard

Quote from: Arta[vL] on November 12, 2004, 02:27 AM
Funny how, increasingly, people just seem not to know what they're talking about when Hazard disagrees with therm..

Maybe its because I'm talking to Grok and not you Arta, so why don't you either read the whole thing and get up to speed or just shut up.

"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." --John Wayne

Adron

Quote from: quasi-modo on November 11, 2004, 03:42 PM
Adron Al Quida target our innocents not in hopes of saving their blood, but just to kill our innocents. Our reason from dropping the bomb was very different from their reason for knocking down our buildings. We knew that using the bomb would end the war, they knew that dropping our towers was not going to end anything, but it would kill our people so we did it.

If I were the president I would not have chosen the bomb. But that does not make it the same as an act of terrorism like that on 9/11. Because we did not go after civilians just for the hell of it makes it very different from 9/11.

You hoped that using the bomb would end the war. Perhaps you assumed it. But you can never know absolutely in advance what consequences an action will have. Maybe al-Qaeda assumed that striking at your heart would scare you? Perhaps you would yield, perhaps you'd stop supporting their enemies so much, and concentrate more on your own business?

If you justify any actions by the results, it would be justified for al-Qaeda to keep killing your civilians, as long as it eventually makes you surrender? Anything the winner does is justified, but if the loser has done the same thing it's wrong?

hismajesty

QuotePerhaps you would yield, perhaps you'd stop supporting their enemies so much, and concentrate more on your own business?

Their enemies are us, we're not going to stop supporting ourselves. Their enemies are Christians and Jews, and the US is primarily Christian. Israel and America are partners in liberty, and we won't break that alliance because some terrorist group wants us to.

QuoteIf you justify any actions by the results, it would be justified for al-Qaeda to keep killing your civilians, as long as it eventually makes you surrender? Anything the winner does is justified, but if the loser has done the same thing it's wrong?

I don't know how many wars Sweden has been involved in, so maybe you just don't know what patriotism and compasion for ones country is. From both sides of the table, we see the same thing, only with different people in different spots. It's justified to them, but we think it's wrong. If we were some radical terrorist group who hates jews, women, and anybody who doesn't think or look like us then we'd probably think it was justified too.

Adron

Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on November 12, 2004, 12:03 PM
Their enemies are us, we're not going to stop supporting ourselves. Their enemies are Christians and Jews, and the US is primarily Christian. Israel and America are partners in liberty, and we won't break that alliance because some terrorist group wants us to.

I think it depends on how much it costs you. At some point you probably would. But al-Qaeda don't have the resources to inflict that kind of damage to you yet.

Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on November 12, 2004, 12:03 PM
QuoteIf you justify any actions by the results, it would be justified for al-Qaeda to keep killing your civilians, as long as it eventually makes you surrender? Anything the winner does is justified, but if the loser has done the same thing it's wrong?

I don't know how many wars Sweden has been involved in, so maybe you just don't know what patriotism and compasion for ones country is. From both sides of the table, we see the same thing, only with different people in different spots. It's justified to them, but we think it's wrong. If we were some radical terrorist group who hates jews, women, and anybody who doesn't think or look like us then we'd probably think it was justified too.

What I'm asking for is that you define what is justified in some neutral terms, that can be applied to American, Israeli, Palestinian, and everyone elses actions equally. Just to make sure that torture isn't right when it's done to muslims and wrong when it's done to Americans.

Note: I was going through posts I haven't responded to because I've been too busy with other things. If anyone is missing a response to something, please point me to it.

hismajesty

QuoteWhat I'm asking for is that you define what is justified in some neutral terms, that can be applied to American, Israeli, Palestinian, and everyone elses actions equally. Just to make sure that torture isn't right when it's done to muslims and wrong when it's done to Americans.

Torture isn't right period, but it's less demonized when you're the one doing the torturing compared to when somebody else is doing it to you.

|