• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Linux SuSE

Started by Mitosis, October 26, 2004, 11:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mitosis

Just installed it onto my old pc, it seems really cool!  I really do like it.  I just have a couple of questions.  What is some good software for this?  Is it all free?  Do I need an antivirus program or is this like the Mac OS X.

Thanks!

iago

Most software is free.  But the default install of SuSE doesn't come with a compiler (if I recall correctly) so you'll need to get pre-packaged binaries.  Check www.freshmeat.net and www.sourceforge.net.

You CAN run anti-virus, but I don't think there are any in-the-wild viruses for Linux yet.  I know there's one for OS X right now, though, so maybe OS X users should start looking at AV solutions :)
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

muert0

If you have cable you should do  reinstall and install SuSE by ftp. If interested I'll dig up a tutorial that's pretty good on FTP installs.
With the FTP install you get SuSE profesional which has GCC and a lot of other things that personal doesn't have.
To lazy for slackware.

Mitosis

uh sure sounds good, hit me up on aim - RussellMusso

jigsaw

muert0, give me the link for ftp install of SuSE Prof, that would be great, thanks.

muert0

http://usalug.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2891
I suggest finding a good complete ftp sote before you start.
To lazy for slackware.

Mitosis

alright so do I download it with my old pc that has linux on it or do I put it onto a cd?

muert0

Go here and get the SuSE linux 9.1 ftp install ISO. It's the 23 mb one and burn it to a cd. I'm asuming you can do this since you already did it for personal. Then boot from the cd and follow the directions in the tutorial I posted. You may want to read the tutorial once over and get all the info you need before you start. If you pick a good ftp before hand it shouldn't take to long to install. It took me an hour.
http://linuxiso.org/distro.php?distro=2
To lazy for slackware.