• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

What does this mean?

Started by BaDDBLooD, October 20, 2004, 09:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BaDDBLooD

[9:14:23 PM] <*Scope> congrads BaDDBlooD, your being ddoss'ed in 30 minutes or less, by my buddy, cya. Squelched
There are only two kinds of people who are really fascinating: people who know absolutely everything, and people who know absolutely nothing.

Newby

If you didn't give out your IP address, you're safe. Ignore the retard. :)
- Newby

Quote[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

Quote<TehUser> Man, I can't get Xorg to work properly.  This sucks.
<torque> you should probably kill yourself
<TehUser> I think I will.  Thanks, torque.

Akamas

**Translation**

[9:14:23 PM] <*Scope> I'm a moron, I get my friends to fight for me. Absolutely nothing will happen in the next 30 mins.
Quote from: Arta[vL] on August 14, 2006, 04:57 PM
Well, I want some too. Greedy Yoni should stop hogging it.

Falcon[anti-yL]

You see morons like that everyday.

BaDDBLooD

k Good, thanks alot everybody ^_^
There are only two kinds of people who are really fascinating: people who know absolutely everything, and people who know absolutely nothing.

quasi-modo

ddos is basically pining someone with large amounts of data from many different locations. Distributed Denial Of Service. Without him having your ip you are fine. B ut if you direct connected with the guy on aim or something he could very well have your ip. But if this was just over battle net, call him an idiot who does not know jack shit.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:04:19) nick is a turtle: Right now im not paying the power bill though
(00:04:33) nick is a turtle: if i had to pay the electric bill
(00:04:47) nick is a turtle: id hibernate when i go to class
(00:04:57) nick is a turtle: or at least when i go to sleep
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

quasi-modo

A person once told me they were sending me a trojan on aim... when I had never connected to them or anything. I asked them how and they said through my ip.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

iago

Quote from: quasi-modo on October 21, 2004, 10:13 AM
ddos is basically pining someone with large amounts of data from many different locations. Distributed Denial Of Service. Without him having your ip you are fine. B ut if you direct connected with the guy on aim or something he could very well have your ip. But if this was just over battle net, call him an idiot who does not know jack shit.

Pinging* (Just in case people who don't know about it get confused by that word)
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Falcon[anti-yL]

I've had morons threaten to trojan me over b.net in a game, it was hilarious.

iago

Quote from: Falcon[anti-yL] on October 21, 2004, 06:58 PM

If you're running Windows unfirewalled, and you're in a game with somebody, it's very possible to do.

Skywing

Quote from: iago on October 21, 2004, 07:38 PM
Quote from: Falcon[anti-yL] on October 21, 2004, 06:58 PM

If you're running Windows unfirewalled, and you're in a game with somebody, it's very possible to do.
If you're running Windows without recent security patches applied, you mean.  The same goes for many other operating systems, including Linux.

quasi-modo

In a game you have a direct connection with the other players, no central server, stricly p2p. So someone can easily get your ip while in game. From there on I do not know how they would get a trojan on your pc....
WAR EAGLE!

Falcon[anti-yL]

They can get my ip, but how would they trojan me?

Arta

By exploiting some flaw in your OS, the same way worms like Sasser spread. If you're up-to-date with patches you should be ok.

iago

Well, Windows default install without a firewall vs. Linux (good distro) default install without a firewall, Windows has about 6 ports open whereas Linux has 1 (ssh). 

But  in any case, yes, it works best if you're unpatched.  But I wouldn't be awfully surprised if there are unknown exploits (particularely in Windows 2000 -- don't forget that XP SP2 was 300mb of mostly unannounced security fixes that Windows 2000 and Windows NT don't get).

My point is, it's not nearly as impossible during a game that it is in a channel or over a non-direct-connect AIM session.