• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Questions [C++]

Started by AntiVirus, October 19, 2004, 07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AntiVirus

Alright this question is going to have a long answer, but if you are up to the task, please to answer. 

Alright in Visual Studios C++ 6 when you start up a new program there are a list of things under the tab Projects they are:

ATL COM AppWizard
DevStudio Add-in Wizard
ISAPI Extension Wizard
MakeFile
MFC Active X Control Wizard
MFC AppWizard (dll)
MFC AppWizard (exe)
Utility Project
Win32 Application
Win32 Console Application
Win32 Dynamic-Link Library
Win32 Static Library

Could someone tell me what each of these would someone use for making a certain program, and what they all do.  Or maybe they can find a link for me that explains what all of these are and what they do.  I would appreciate it a lot if someone would help.  Thanks!
"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Mitosis

Well when you click them, the program gives a "definition" I guess.

E.g. - ASP.NET Web Service = An XML Web Service that uses Managed Extensions  for C++.

Just click help and go to index or whatever and paste those names in. It gives you defininitions.

MyndFyre

Quote from: Mitosis on October 19, 2004, 09:00 PM
Well when you click them, the program gives a "definition" I guess.
E.g. - ASP.NET Web Service = An XML Web Service that uses Managed Extensions  for C++.
Just click help and go to index or whatever and paste those names in. It gives you defininitions.

Amazing!  He said Visual Studio 6 and you gave him a Visual Studio 7 response! :P

Anyway, I might be off on a couple, but I think they're fairly accurate:
ATL COM AppWizard -- use this project to generate an application framework for use with the Active Template Library, which permits your application to interact with Component Object Model-aware applications or components.
DevStudio Add-in Wizard -- a wizard that generates a framework for adding functionality to Visual Studio.
ISAPI Extension Wizard -- a wizard that generates a framework for creating an Internet Services Application Programming Interface extension, allowing for Internet Information Services (IIS) to do extra stuff.
MakeFile -- a file used for batch compilation tasks.
MFC ActiveX Control Wizard -- A wizard that generates a framework for exposing controls and components developed in C++ for access in ActiveX, using the Microsoft Foundation Classes.
MFC App Wizard (dll) -- A wizard that generates a framework for a Dynamically-Linked Library with support for the Microsoft Foundation Classes (MFC).
MFC App Wizard (exe) -- A wizard that generates a GUI framework for an executable application with support for MFC.
Utility Project -- you got me.  I don't know.
Win32 Application -- A standard framework template for a Win32-driven application with a GUI.
Win32 Console Application -- A standard framework template for a Win32-aware console application.
Win32 Dynamic-Link Library -- A standard framework template for a Win32-aware non-executable DLL.
Win32 Static Library -- A standard framework template for a Win32-aware shared library.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

Mitosis

ah shit your right...just noticed that! Ohwell, if you ever use VS7, there ya go!

AntiVirus

QuoteAnyway, I might be off on a couple, but I think they're fairly accurate:
ATL COM AppWizard -- use this project to generate an application framework for use with the Active Template Library, which permits your application to interact with Component Object Model-aware applications or components.
DevStudio Add-in Wizard -- a wizard that generates a framework for adding functionality to Visual Studio.
ISAPI Extension Wizard -- a wizard that generates a framework for creating an Internet Services Application Programming Interface extension, allowing for Internet Information Services (IIS) to do extra stuff.
MakeFile -- a file used for batch compilation tasks.
MFC ActiveX Control Wizard -- A wizard that generates a framework for exposing controls and components developed in C++ for access in ActiveX, using the Microsoft Foundation Classes.
MFC App Wizard (dll) -- A wizard that generates a framework for a Dynamically-Linked Library with support for the Microsoft Foundation Classes (MFC).
MFC App Wizard (exe) -- A wizard that generates a GUI framework for an executable application with support for MFC.
Utility Project -- you got me.  I don't know.
Win32 Application -- A standard framework template for a Win32-driven application with a GUI.
Win32 Console Application -- A standard framework template for a Win32-aware console application.
Win32 Dynamic-Link Library -- A standard framework template for a Win32-aware non-executable DLL.
Win32 Static Library -- A standard framework template for a Win32-aware shared library.
Thanks a lot!
"They say that I must learn to kill before I can feel safe, but I rather kill myself then turn into their slave."
- The Rasmus

Grok

Skywing's BinaryChat Web interface is an ISAPI project.

Skywing

Quote from: Grok on October 21, 2004, 02:50 PM
Skywing's BinaryChat Web interface is an ISAPI project.
I didn't use the VC template though, as it's not done in MFC.