• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

ChannelOne.com Mock Teen Vote 2004

Started by Mephisto, October 17, 2004, 09:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mephisto

Apparantly the largest mock teen election vote in history, ChannelOne.com is hosting it.  If your school is associated with ChannelOne.com you'll receive ballots with a unique key which you'll need to submit with your votes.  If your school is not associated with ChannelOne.com or you do not receive a ballot, go to ChannelOne.com and click on the vote headline to register to vote with them and receive a unique key.  Polls open October 19th at 8:00PM Eastern and close October 20th 10:00PM Eastern.  You will be able to vote for either the Republican or Democratic candidates or a third-party candidate.  Results will be posted on ChannelOne.com on Thursday October 21st and revealed on air on the Thursday edition of ChannelOne.

Visit http://www.channelone.com/election_2004/2004/10/15/onevote_info/ for more information and http://onevote.channelone.com/ to register to vote.

quasi-modo

been there done that (the registration I mean). Problem is the only teen votes I care about are those by people who are 18 and 19. My school is supposed to be something like #3 in the nation based on the number of aps taken and passed compared to the size of the student body, but It seems like a lot of my class is inept when it comes to politicis (mostly under classmen), so I am not going to put much stock into the results from this thing... about the same amount of stock as the poll on this forum.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:04:19) nick is a turtle: Right now im not paying the power bill though
(00:04:33) nick is a turtle: if i had to pay the electric bill
(00:04:47) nick is a turtle: id hibernate when i go to class
(00:04:57) nick is a turtle: or at least when i go to sleep
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

Forged

14 to 17 year olds are not allowed to vote for a reason. who gives a fuck what they think?
QuoteI wish my grass was Goth so it would cut itself

Mephisto

Quote from: Forged on October 17, 2004, 10:00 PM
14 to 17 year olds are not allowed to vote for a reason. who gives a fuck what they think?

I do.  And apparantly many others do considering that they're talking about lowering the voting age to 16.

muert0

That's complete and total bull. Where does it say anything about lowering the voting age to 16?
To lazy for slackware.

hismajesty

we were affiliated with channelone in middle school, not now though. oh well.

QuoteProblem is the only teen votes I care about are those by people who are 18 and 19.

OMGZ WER ARE SO LIEKE TEH FUTUARE 2!

Mephisto

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/news/archive/2004/03/08/national2139EST0788.DTL&type=printable

If you went on Google I'm sure you could find other cases where they're lowering the voting age.  Now, I know it's not for president, but it may lead up to that.  And where I heard it, from local news.

hismajesty

I'm all for lowering the voting age. Though, I think underage voters (under 18) should be given a test. I'm more informed than the average voter and feel a test on basic government and current issues should be in order.

muert0

It should stay 18 or be raised... anyone who can't support themselves and has never lived in the real world shouldn't be allowed to vote.
To lazy for slackware.

Forged

Quote from: muert0 on October 18, 2004, 03:11 PM
It should stay 18 or be raised... anyone who can't support themselves and has never lived in the real world shouldn't be allowed to vote.

Anyone who is old enough to be drafted should be allowed to vote.
QuoteI wish my grass was Goth so it would cut itself

Hazard

Quote from: Forged on October 18, 2004, 04:54 PM
Quote from: muert0 on October 18, 2004, 03:11 PM

Anyone who is old enough to be drafted should be allowed to vote.

Nobody can be drafted, so should nobody be allowed to vote?

"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." --John Wayne

Mephisto

Muerto, your comment is highly debatable.

quasi-modo

Quote from: Mephisto on October 18, 2004, 09:13 AM
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/news/archive/2004/03/08/national2139EST0788.DTL&type=printable

If you went on Google I'm sure you could find other cases where they're lowering the voting age.  Now, I know it's not for president, but it may lead up to that.  And where I heard it, from local news.
The constitution states that you must be allowed to vote at 18. But any state can lower it to below that. But all citizens must be allowed to vote by 18. But any age unmder 18 is actually a state issue.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

Mephisto

Quote from: quasi-modo on October 18, 2004, 08:38 PM

The constitution states that you must be allowed to vote at 18. But any state can lower it to below that. But all citizens must be allowed to vote by 18. But any age unmder 18 is actually a state issue.

But that doesn't mean that you can't vote under 18 if a law allows minors to vote (if that were to ever happen).  If they wanted to propose a law allowing minors to vote in the presidential elections it would still be constitutional, correct?

quasi-modo

Quote from: Mephisto on October 18, 2004, 09:54 PM
Quote from: quasi-modo on October 18, 2004, 08:38 PM

But that doesn't mean that you can't vote under 18 if a law allows minors to vote (if that were to ever happen).  If they wanted to propose a law allowing minors to vote in the presidential elections it would still be constitutional, correct?
Yes. The latest at which one must be allowed to vote is 18.. The state must let you vote in their elections by then. But since elections are done state by state the law to let a someone vote by then would be a state law most likely. Not federal.
WAR EAGLE!