• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Bush '04

Started by jigsaw, October 15, 2004, 08:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
|

Hazard

Quote from: quasi-modo on October 20, 2004, 01:57 PM
Personally I do not care too much about how someone did in college or high school. I care about what they have done in the past couple decades and what they are planning on doing.

Well from what Kerry promises, he's seemingly going to be the one to solve all of the world's ills.

"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." --John Wayne

quasi-modo

Quote from: Hazard on October 20, 2004, 03:45 PM
Quote from: quasi-modo on October 20, 2004, 01:57 PM
Personally I do not care too much about how someone did in college or high school. I care about what they have done in the past couple decades and what they are planning on doing.

Well from what Kerry promises, he's seemingly going to be the one to solve all of the world's ills.
While only raising the taxes of a few people, while cutting corperate income tax, while still cutting the deficit. The man is an economic miracle worker I tell yah.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:04:19) nick is a turtle: Right now im not paying the power bill though
(00:04:33) nick is a turtle: if i had to pay the electric bill
(00:04:47) nick is a turtle: id hibernate when i go to class
(00:04:57) nick is a turtle: or at least when i go to sleep
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

Hazard

He's got some good economic ideas, as does Bush. What you need is a meld of both and in this case I choose the ideas of Bush.

TangoFour

I'm not an American so this isn't directly my concern - but seeing as some of you are arguing over who had the better grades - well, in terms of making up policy that'll sure come in handy - but the bottom line is they both know enough.

What I'd be more interested in is how well they understand the needs and desires of the average American - which isn't always a matter of intelligence.

quasi-modo

Quote from: Hazard on October 21, 2004, 06:20 AM
He's got some good economic ideas, as does Bush. What you need is a meld of both and in this case I choose the ideas of Bush.
some are good, but they will not work with the rest of them. Hist figure just flat out do not add up. He is going to be breaking a lot of promises if he gets elected.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

quasi-modo

Quote from: TangoFour on October 21, 2004, 09:00 AM
I'm not an American so this isn't directly my concern - but seeing as some of you are arguing over who had the better grades - well, in terms of making up policy that'll sure come in handy - but the bottom line is they both know enough.

What I'd be more interested in is how well they understand the needs and desires of the average American - which isn't always a matter of intelligence.
I both need and desire more money... it seems like both candidates are promising that, but George Bush will be able to make it work, and he already has delivered it  :)
WAR EAGLE!

muert0

Yeah cut taxes a little more, make another war, and leave our children and their children with twice as much debt as America has now. Sweet....
To lazy for slackware.

quasi-modo

Quote from: muert0 on October 21, 2004, 02:37 PM
Yeah cut taxes a little more, make another war, and leave our children and their children with twice as much debt as America has now. Sweet....
Cutting taxes powers the economy. When you raise taxes it slows the economy. Any money the government is holding onto is money that is out of circulation. This is the good thing about deficit spending, all of the money is out ofthe governments hands. Everyone always says booo a deficit, but its not such a bad thing. Also, wars are another way of getting money into the hands of the people. Money goes to defence contractors for more ammo, armor, artillary, vehicles, money goes back into our economy into the form of pay for troops. I think it is kind of ammusing when people say we 'lost' 200billion in Iraq when the money was never lost. The vast majority of that money just left the hands of the government and entered our economy.

another thought: world war 2 brought us out of the great depression. It was a massive mobilization of our economy.

one more point: Taxes are inherently bad. They create a dead weight loss. The lower the tax, the lower the loss of efficiency. Some taxes are neccessary to power the government which is neccessary to compensate for market failiors, but the lower the tax the better the economy can function. A big tax cut is a great thing, especially when you are in a massive recession because of a tech bust that occured during the previous administration.
WAR EAGLE!

Hazard

Quote from: muert0 on October 21, 2004, 02:37 PM

Well Kerry's plan is to slash spending on the military and homeland security, dump it all in some other crappy place, and put taxes through the roof. Its not a solution. You have to raise taxes a little, and cut some spending a little. But if you just start slashing, re-appropriating, and kill off the stimulation on the economy, you will get no where and that is Kerry's plan.

Adron

Quote from: Hazard on October 21, 2004, 07:08 PM
Well Kerry's plan is to slash spending on the military and homeland security, dump it all in some other crappy place, and put taxes through the roof. Its not a solution. You have to raise taxes a little, and cut some spending a little. But if you just start slashing, re-appropriating, and kill off the stimulation on the economy, you will get no where and that is Kerry's plan.

Perhaps Kerry's plan is that instead of stimulating the economy by having people produce things that go up in smoke, he'll stimulate the economy by having people produce things that improve quality of life. The cost and effect on the economy will be the same, but quality of life will be improved. Sounds reasonable?

Dyndrilliac

I saw one very large misconception in this thread I feel I need to clear up.

I will be voting Kerry for the following reasons:

Kerry did not vote to go to war, he voted to give the president the power to go to war as a last resort in case of complete diplomatic failure, and to provide diplomatic leverage. Bush straight up wanted to fight. Though, He did go through more diplomacy than I expected him to.

Bush has not lowered my taxes, I'll tell you that right here and now (I consider myself middle class, I make 35,000 a year, I'm also a student for my Master's Degree from the University of North Florida). Knowing however that the doctor across town with 2 corvets pays less taxes than before Bushg went into office kind of fuels my discontent for his policies.

How can universal healthcare not be a good idea? Canada has full healthcare for all of there citizens as a Canadian citizen's right. It doesn't seem to be working too bad up there. Not to mention the fact that a Flu Vaccination today will cost you in the neighborhood of 100-150$ per shot due to lack of availability in America. That is not good.

I disagreed with Bush's reasoning for War, I feel Al-Quada and Osama Bin Laden is far more important. As soon as Bush got the ability to go to war he pulled 95% of our troops out of Afghanistan and moved them into Iraq, leaving the Afghani military which was allied with Osama prior to our invasion to deal with the fighting there.

Recently a platoon of American soldiers refused to go on a mission of delivering contaminated fuel because they were ill-equipped and had no armed soldier reinforcements with them. They were court-marshalled.

I did not agree with Bush getting elected in the first place. More people in America that voted wanted Gore in office.

I am Pro Gay/Lesbian citizens rights. Under Bush/Cheney, citizens like Dick Cheney's daughter will never be able to get married.

I have relatives and friends in Iraq; It is estimated that if Bush is re-elected they will not be able to return any time soon.

I disagree with how Bush implemented his policies in Iraq. He went in, dissolved a stable government with Administrative authority in place and removed all order despite it being a Dictatorship without putting new form of government in place properly. It is chaotic there, and it is a situation that any greedy power wanting financial well off warlord can use to push their own agenda. It is no longer a rogue state but simple open chaotic rebellion and anarchy.

Bush's policies allow evil terrorist leaders to provide the middle eastern citizens and people with Good Vs. Evil propaganda; They can now say "Look! The evil christain infidels are invading, just they they invaded Iraq and Afghanistan! LEt's unite to repel them!". It gives the terrorists not only more woldwide support but local support as well, they can use this to their advantage.

there are a plethora of other reasons but I feel this is ufficient enough.
Quote from: Edsger W. DijkstraIt is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC; as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

quasi-modo

Quote from: Adron on October 21, 2004, 08:12 PM
Quote from: Hazard on October 21, 2004, 07:08 PM

Perhaps Kerry's plan is that instead of stimulating the economy by having people produce things that go up in smoke, he'll stimulate the economy by having people produce things that improve quality of life. The cost and effect on the economy will be the same, but quality of life will be improved. Sounds reasonable?
Perhaps Kerrys plan is non existant. What he has been saying will flat out not work.
WAR EAGLE!

quasi-modo

Quote from: Dyndrilliac on October 21, 2004, 08:48 PM

Bush has not lowered my taxes, I'll tell you that right here and now (I consider myself middle class, I make 35,000 a year, I'm also a student for my Master's Degree from the University of North Florida). Knowing however that the doctor across town with 2 corvets pays less taxes than before Bushg went into office kind of fuels my discontent for his policies.[/b]
how can you say that when the tax cuts were based on what you payed in to taxes. Its a % back. The rich got the most back because they payed the most in, but if we got something back (and we are middle class) then you should have definatly gotten something back. The only people who did not were those who are on welfare and are not paying taxes.
BTW: Hello fellow jacksonville resident
How can universal healthcare not be a good idea?
because the government is ineficient. The private secter can handle things much better then the government can. The reason health care is so screwed up at the moment is because of insurance and law suits. That is why bush proposes a reform.
I disagreed with Bush's reasoning for War, I feel Al-Quada and Osama Bin Laden is far more important. As soon as Bush got the ability to go to war he pulled 95% of our troops out of Afghanistan and moved them into Iraq, leaving the Afghani military which was allied with Osama prior to our invasion to deal with the fighting there.
this is a war on terror. There were clear link to terrorist in Iraq. I guess you do not call him sponsoring palestinian suicidie bombers or the fact that we have found terrorist training camps in iraq actual terrorism because those groups never hit the us... only our allies.
Recently a platoon of American soldiers refused to go on a mission of delivering contaminated fuel because they were ill-equipped and had no armed soldier reinforcements with them. They were court-marshalled.
because they would not go another group which was supposed to be on break had to. The mission was a success, no issues what so ever. PS: Kerry voted against raising spending for more supplies for soldiers.
I did not agree with Bush getting elected in the first place. More people in America that voted wanted Gore in office.
its called the electoral college, it prevents mob rule.
I am Pro Gay/Lesbian citizens rights. Under Bush/Cheney, citizens like Dick Cheney's daughter will never be able to get married.
that is really a non issue. I know plenty of gay people who actually do not really care about the marriage issue much. They realize there are other issues then just them being able to share some inssurance if they are married. PS: Dick Cheney and Bush are not going to step on the gays, after all Dick's own daughter is a lesbian.
I have relatives and friends in Iraq; It is estimated that if Bush is re-elected they will not be able to return any time soon.
You mean you support an immediate withdraw from iraq? Just so another tyranical dictator can take over? Oh jeese. You have gone off the deep end with that one. I have friends in Iraq too and they want US forces to stay then until the job is done, otherwise they have been over there for nothing.
I disagree with how Bush implemented his policies in Iraq. He went in, dissolved a stable government with Administrative authority in place and removed all order despite it being a Dictatorship without putting new form of government in place properly. It is chaotic there, and it is a situation that any greedy power wanting financial well off warlord can use to push their own agenda. It is no longer a rogue state but simple open chaotic rebellion and anarchy.
I disaggree with that completely. It is seedy in some places, but Iraq as a whole is on the right track. School attendance is up 80% since Saddam was removed from power. They now have a functioning interum government. The government they dissolved was stable ebcause if anyone stepped out of line they 'disappeared'. Saddam killed his opposition. It was opprossion, rule by fear.
Bush's policies allow evil terrorist leaders to provide the middle eastern citizens and people with Good Vs. Evil propaganda; They can now say "Look! The evil christain infidels are invading, just they they invaded Iraq and Afghanistan! LEt's unite to repel them!". It gives the terrorists not only more woldwide support but local support as well, they can use this to their advantage.
they were going to do that no matter what. Look us supports israel they are evil. Its a very small price to pay.
WAR EAGLE!

dxoigmn

Quote from: quasi-modo on October 21, 2004, 02:44 PM
Cutting taxes powers the economy. When you raise taxes it slows the economy. Any money the government is holding onto is money that is out of circulation. This is the good thing about deficit spending, all of the money is out ofthe governments hands. Everyone always says booo a deficit, but its not such a bad thing. Also, wars are another way of getting money into the hands of the people. Money goes to defence contractors for more ammo, armor, artillary, vehicles, money goes back into our economy into the form of pay for troops. I think it is kind of ammusing when people say we 'lost' 200billion in Iraq when the money was never lost. The vast majority of that money just left the hands of the government and entered our economy.

another thought: world war 2 brought us out of the great depression. It was a massive mobilization of our economy.

one more point: Taxes are inherently bad. They create a dead weight loss. The lower the tax, the lower the loss of efficiency. Some taxes are neccessary to power the government which is neccessary to compensate for market failiors, but the lower the tax the better the economy can function. A big tax cut is a great thing, especially when you are in a massive recession because of a tech bust that occured during the previous administration.

The government pays very little for troops.  They get payed around $15,000 (the ones doing all the work).  That is comparable to a movie usher or a crossing guard.  I'm sure many of these troops are had better jobs before going to iraq.  The tech bust did not happen during the Clinton administration, it happened in 2000-2001 which is the beginning of the Bush administration.  Yes it is good to lower taxes, but for the lower class.  The lower class is more likely to spend that money than the upperclass.  If taxes are inherently bad, how do you propose we fund the government that "protects" us?

quasi-modo

Quote from: dxoigmn on October 21, 2004, 10:27 PM
Quote from: quasi-modo on October 21, 2004, 02:44 PM

The government pays very little for troops.  They get payed around $15,000 (the ones doing all the work).  That is comparable to a movie usher or a crossing guard.  I'm sure many of these troops are had better jobs before going to iraq.  The tech bust did not happen during the Clinton administration, it happened in 2000-2001 which is the beginning of the Bush administration.  Yes it is good to lower taxes, but for the lower class.  The lower class is more likely to spend that money than the upperclass.  If taxes are inherently bad, how do you propose we fund the government that "protects" us?
The government is still putting a lot of money in the pockets of the troops. It is a lot of money that leaves the hands of the government and enters the economy.

The tech bust did happen under clinton. The whole economic down turn happened before bush was in office. The 9/11 and it was a spiral that was unstoppable. But the economic down turn did happen during the clinton administration. Bush inherited a weak economy. Bush was inogurated january 20th 2001.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A38826-2004Jan22

Also the tax cuts are meant to give money back based on what people payed in. If you give people back more then what they payed in then you are giving out welfare. Also, have you not heart of trickle down economics? Even if you give money to just the wealthy (which bush did not because his tax cuts were across the board), they are the ones who invest that money. Put it into physical assets or into the market.
WAR EAGLE!

|