• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

its finally here!

Started by quasi-modo, October 12, 2004, 05:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hismajesty

Quote from: muert0 on October 14, 2004, 12:21 PM
And the civil war was about states rights not slavery.

Yes, states' rights to declare slavery illicit or licit. (Among other things.)

quasi-modo

Quote from: Adron on October 14, 2004, 05:55 AM
Quote from: Hazard on October 12, 2004, 08:02 PM
I have a couple of shirts... from my favorite of Conservative sites.

That one there is rather stupid, since war hasn't ended any of those. The closest you get is with slavery, in the USA. Most everywhere else, war funded slavery - that's how you got the slaves! Communism in the soviet union ended because of the lack of war. As long as relations between ussr and usa were really frosty, communism held strong.
But we did fight wars to contain communism. One of them contained it but was crappy... the other one was just crappy and did not do much containing.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:04:19) nick is a turtle: Right now im not paying the power bill though
(00:04:33) nick is a turtle: if i had to pay the electric bill
(00:04:47) nick is a turtle: id hibernate when i go to class
(00:04:57) nick is a turtle: or at least when i go to sleep
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

quasi-modo

Quote from: muert0 on October 14, 2004, 12:21 PM
And the civil war was about states rights not slavery.
Slavery was an issue though.  That whole dred scott case and many other things lead up to the war and they were all about slavery.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

Arta

Quote from: peofeoknight on October 14, 2004, 10:27 PM
But we did fight wars to contain communism. One of them contained it but was crappy... the other one was just crappy and did not do much containing.

To which wars do you refer?

Adron

Your wars didn't end communism - they strengthened communism, motivating the people to fight for communism.

Hazard

Quote from: Adron on October 15, 2004, 04:08 AM

Your wars didn't end communism - they strengthened communism, motivating the people to fight for communism.

Wrong. It prevented the domino effect.

"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." --John Wayne

Adron

Quote from: Hazard on October 15, 2004, 07:14 AM

Wrong.

Please elaborate on why those statements are wrong?

quasi-modo

Quote from: Arta[vL] on October 15, 2004, 03:50 AM

To which wars do you refer?
Korea and Nam... neither official of course.
WAR EAGLE!

quasi-modo

One of them was affective, it stopped communism from spreading into south Korea.

We mighta won nam, but one source I have heard is saying that those whole Kerry Speeches played a big part in galvanizing the north Vietnamese generals at a point in time when the north was on the verge of giving up.
WAR EAGLE!

Adron

Quote from: peofeoknight on October 15, 2004, 04:20 PM
One of them was affective, it stopped communism from spreading into south Korea.

Maybe it was effective at that time. Maybe your military presence in South Korea is the only thing that has let North Korea remain so strongly communist to this day, and if you hadn't been there, they'd have been a capitalistic country like most others many years ago.

quasi-modo

Quote from: Adron on October 15, 2004, 06:15 PM

Maybe it was effective at that time. Maybe your military presence in South Korea is the only thing that has let North Korea remain so strongly communist to this day, and if you hadn't been there, they'd have been a capitalistic country like most others many years ago.
Why's that?
WAR EAGLE!

Adron

Quote from: quasi-modo on October 15, 2004, 11:38 PM
Why's that?

For the same reason as going to war with Iraq can boost ratings and divert interest from national issues? Pointing at a common enemy is an efficient way of holding people together.

Hazard

Quote from: Adron on October 15, 2004, 06:15 PM

You know nothing about North Korea and it is blatantly obvious from that ridiculous post. You're saying that North Korea is communist because the US is helping South Korea? Thats retarded. North Korea is communist because of their tyrannical dictators Kim Il Song and Kim Song Il and their ridiculous ideology and hate.

Adron

Quote from: Hazard on October 16, 2004, 08:24 AM
You know nothing about North Korea and it is blatantly obvious from that ridiculous post. You're saying that North Korea is communist because the US is helping South Korea? Thats retarded. North Korea is communist because of their tyrannical dictators Kim Il Song and Kim Song Il and their ridiculous ideology and hate.

What I'm saying is that if Kim didn't have the big evil enemy USA to point at, and to motivate the people to keep an army against, their internal state of affairs including starvation would be more likely to generate a civil uprising. I'll say it again: There's nothing like a big evil badguy to unite people.

Hazard

Quote from: Adron on October 16, 2004, 01:02 PM
Quote from: Hazard on October 16, 2004, 08:24 AM

What I'm saying is that if Kim didn't have the big evil enemy USA to point at, and to motivate the people to keep an army against, their internal state of affairs including starvation would be more likely to generate a civil uprising. I'll say it again: There's nothing like a big evil badguy to unite people.

Wrong again. You should really check out one of the special's on The History Channel about North Korea they aired during their "Reign of Terror" week. If such a thing was true, why did the Bolshevik uprising in Russia occur during the WWI? Why don't people rise up in North Korea? Because of the extreme government control and the knowledge that if an uprising is merely spoken of that your entire family will be slaughtered.

|