• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

{SP2} Help

Started by Mitosis, October 12, 2004, 03:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mitosis

As some of you may know I reformatted recently do to some problems with my machine. I haven't installed SP2 yet because I don't know if it is the best solution. When I did have it installed on my computer I would get a lot of errors and have problems with their firewall. Is installing SP2 my best choice? If not, any suggestions on a better firewall? Thanks in advance.

dxoigmn

Don't use a firewall?  You can disable the firewall in SP2.

Mitosis

Yes I know that, but when I installed SP2 before there was problems with the Windows Explorer.

dxoigmn

SP2 and Windows Explorer work fine for me.  Perhaps you had some sort of virus?

iago

Umm, did you read his post?  He wants to go to SP2, and wants to know if there are any side effects.

74% of people surveyed (out of a few thousand, I think) had no side effects.  Less than 3% had critical (can't boot).  So odds are pretty good.

We've had no problems at work installing it, and generally it seems ok. 
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

dxoigmn

Quote from: iago on October 12, 2004, 05:35 PM
Umm, did you read his post?  He wants to go to SP2, and wants to know if there are any side effects.

I did read his post and he said "When I did have it [Windows XP SP2] installed on my computer I would get a lot of errors and have problems with their firewall."  I was commenting about that.

Edit: He also said "Yes I know that, but when I installed SP2 before there was problems with the Windows Explorer."  Which I was also commenting about.

Mitosis

Alright I guess I will install it.

muert0

Certain model Dell's will kill theirselves with SP2 but that is the only problem I've heard with it.

I went and looked it up it's a problem with Dell D600 laptops. If you have earlier than BIOS rev A12 you can experience hard drive corruption.

Someone with a emachines 1.8ghz AMD experienced the same thing but he doesn't know the model number.
To lazy for slackware.

Stealth

Quote from: muert0 on October 12, 2004, 11:37 PM
I went and looked it up it's a problem with Dell D600 laptops. If you have earlier than BIOS rev A12 you can experience hard drive corruption.

Interesting - my Latitude D505 had no problem with SP2.
- Stealth
Author of StealthBot

muert0

Yeah. Here's where I got it from if you're interested.
http://www.antionline.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=261307
And the info on the E-machines. Not as concrete but I thought I might should warn people just in case.
http://www.antionline.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=261351
To lazy for slackware.

dxoigmn

Quote from: Stealth on October 13, 2004, 12:28 AM
Quote from: muert0 on October 12, 2004, 11:37 PM

Interesting - my Latitude D505 had no problem with SP2.

Same, my D800 has no problems either...but I upgraded the bios before SP2 came out.