• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Creating a Plugin System

Started by Mephisto, October 03, 2004, 10:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mephisto

Does anyone here have any links to tutorials or information regarding this creating/implementing a plugin system, both creating the plugins and the system for the plugins.  Thanks to anyone who provides.  :)

MyndFyre

Quote from: Mephisto on October 03, 2004, 10:50 PM
Does anyone here have any links to tutorials or information regarding this creating/implementing a plugin system, both creating the plugins and the system for the plugins.  Thanks to anyone who provides.  :)

You should be more specific.  What kind of plugins are we talking about (for example, something core/essential to the product or extra features, such as a primary protocol vs. a protocol extension)?  What platforms are you targetting?  Etc.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

Mephisto

Win32, extensions for the program (the plugins are not the program's core), and general tutorials on creating plugins.  I have a general idea on how to develop them, but I haven't been able to find any decent resources on creating them, nor example programs.

Grok

You could study COM or CORBA, both which implement a style of plugin.  Once you get the big picture you could use that knowledge to design your own system.  Generally, though, it is better to use an existing well-defined interface system than to roll your own.

Mephisto

Quote from: Grok on October 04, 2004, 11:32 AM
You could study COM or CORBA, both which implement a style of plugin.  Once you get the big picture you could use that knowledge to design your own system.  Generally, though, it is better to use an existing well-defined interface system than to roll your own.

Are these already created systems free and avaliable to the public?  If so, do you know where I could attain one?

MyndFyre

Quote from: Mephisto on October 04, 2004, 12:54 PM

Are these already created systems free and avaliable to the public?  If so, do you know where I could attain one?

COM is part of Visual C++, implemented generally in the Active Template Library (ATL).
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Skywing

Note that COM is extremely painful to use from a language that doesn't have built-in support for it (e.g. VB, C#, ...).

Banana fanna fo fanna

I had to do a ton of webcam/directshow COM programming, and let me tell you, it SUCKS. It's mainly a documentation issue, though.

Grok

Quote from: Banana fanna fo fanna on October 04, 2004, 02:36 PM
I had to do a ton of webcam/directshow COM programming, and let me tell you, it SUCKS. It's mainly a documentation issue, though.

A particular implementation of a library is way off topic to whether COM or CORBA is a suitable plugin platform.

Grok

Quote from: Skywing on October 04, 2004, 02:34 PM
Note that COM is extremely painful to use from a language that doesn't have built-in support for it (e.g. VB, C#, ...).

Probably.  Now that I think about it, COM or CORBA might not be an answer to the question.  COM/CORBA are designed to provide self-describing interfaces between unfamiliar code objects.

Now I think the request was to provide a well-known interface, so COM might only be an available mechanism, not a predefined interface.  If he wants a well-known plugin interface, I do not have an answer for him.  Does he want one with callbacks?

MyndFyre

I thought VB *does* have built-in support via ActiveX.  I could be off.  But VB7 and C# do have nearly-built-in support via RCWs.  All you have to do is import it into your VS.NET project, or use the command-line tool to generate an assembly.

Skywing

Quote from: MyndFyre on October 04, 2004, 04:43 PM

I thought VB *does* have built-in support via ActiveX.  I could be off.  But VB7 and C# do have nearly-built-in support via RCWs.  All you have to do is import it into your VS.NET project, or use the command-line tool to generate an assembly.
Rephrasing:

Note that COM is extremely painful to use from a language that doesn't have built-in support for it (like for instance VB and C# do).

Banana fanna fo fanna

thetempest

COM is just "C Object Modle" I fogot what C stands for, anyways, the methodolgy is easy to do on linux...

the problem, i dont think you can get your COM to work with M$.  I used to do COM but it's been a while.

Sorry, wish i could be of more help, if i get some freetime, i'll see what i can digup.

Good luck

MyndFyre

Quote from: thetempest on October 13, 2004, 10:09 AM
COM is just "C Object Modle" I fogot what C stands for, anyways, the methodolgy is easy to do on linux...

the problem, i dont think you can get your COM to work with M$.  I used to do COM but it's been a while.

Sorry, wish i could be of more help, if i get some freetime, i'll see what i can digup.

Good luck

COM is "Component Object Model".  COM is not available for Linux, unless it was implemented with Wine, which I highly doubt.  It's generally messy, a pain, and requires a lot of work; it's supposed to provide language interoperability.  I don't know what in hell you're talking about, tempest, with it working easily for Linux and not for Windows...