• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

BnetD Case Decided

Started by Thing, October 02, 2004, 01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thing

For the two of you that don't read EFF or /. take a peak at this:
http://eff.org/news/archives/2004_09.php#001962
IMO this is bad bad bad.
That sucking sound you hear is my bandwidth.

Soul Taker

Yea, I don't even understand how this is possible.  All our rights can be waived by a click-through agreement?  What the fuck is that?
Not only that, but as many commenter pointed out, you can't see the license agreement before you try to install the game.  Then if you don't agree to it, you probably can't return the game because it's already been opened.
Additionally, what if I, say, deleted the TOS.txt from the archives before I installed the game, and installed it without ever reading the license agreement.  Am I legally held to a contract I never saw or agreed to?  None of this makes much sense!

Stealth

Definitely not a positive ruling. Fortunately, the EFF is appealing.
- Stealth
Author of StealthBot

Grok

The Patriot Act decision is far more important and I'm happy about that ruling.

quasi-modo

WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:04:19) nick is a turtle: Right now im not paying the power bill though
(00:04:33) nick is a turtle: if i had to pay the electric bill
(00:04:47) nick is a turtle: id hibernate when i go to class
(00:04:57) nick is a turtle: or at least when i go to sleep
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

MyndFyre

Quote from: Soul Taker on October 02, 2004, 01:58 PM
Yea, I don't even understand how this is possible.  All our rights can be waived by a click-through agreement?  What the fuck is that?
Not only that, but as many commenter pointed out, you can't see the license agreement before you try to install the game.  Then if you don't agree to it, you probably can't return the game because it's already been opened.
Additionally, what if I, say, deleted the TOS.txt from the archives before I installed the game, and installed it without ever reading the license agreement.  Am I legally held to a contract I never saw or agreed to?  None of this makes much sense!

Why is the fact that "our rights can be waived by a click-through agreement" surprising to you?  If you don't like the fact that Blizzard licenses its software for a particular use -- that is, to be used on their servers.

I don't like the ruling, but IMHO it's fairly cut-and-dry legally speaking.

[edit]Also, it's not just a "Click-Through" agreement -- you're supposed to read and agree to the license agreement before installing the software.  Installation of the software is tacit agreement to the terms of the EULA.[/edit]
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

Soul Taker

Quote from: MyndFyre on October 03, 2004, 03:29 AM
Quote from: Soul Taker on October 02, 2004, 01:58 PM

Why is the fact that "our rights can be waived by a click-through agreement" surprising to you?  If you don't like the fact that Blizzard licenses its software for a particular use -- that is, to be used on their servers.

I don't like the ruling, but IMHO it's fairly cut-and-dry legally speaking.

[edit]Also, it's not just a "Click-Through" agreement -- you're supposed to read and agree to the license agreement before installing the software.  Installation of the software is tacit agreement to the terms of the EULA.[/edit]
How is the fact that a company can totally deny us our court-granted rights just because we install some software not shocking to you?
And as I said, what if the user never even sees the license, such as by circumventing it or using a cracked installer without one.  How is being legally bound to some contract you never saw or agreed to, or even knew existed, fine with you?

muert0

If a user uses a cracked version or alters the software before they install it they are breaking the law. There is no legal way to install the game and not have to pass through the EULA.
To lazy for slackware.

Soul Taker

Quote from: muert0 on October 03, 2004, 02:15 PM
If a user uses a cracked version or alters the software before they install it they are breaking the law. There is no legal way to install the game and not have to pass through the EULA.
And that's irrelevant to the point I posed.

muert0

QuoteAnd as I said, what if the user never even sees the license, such as by circumventing it or using a cracked installer without one.  How is being legally bound to some contract you never saw or agreed to, or even knew existed, fine with you?

QuoteIf a user uses a cracked version or alters the software before they install it they are breaking the law. There is no legal way to install the game and not have to pass through the EULA.

QuoteAnd that's irrelevant to the point I posed.

If you say so. Read what you said though...
To lazy for slackware.

MyndFyre

Quote from: Soul Taker on October 03, 2004, 04:12 AM
How is the fact that a company can totally deny us our court-granted rights just because we install some software not shocking to you?
Evidently they aren't court-granted, because the court would have had to side with precedent.

Quote from: Soul Taker on October 03, 2004, 04:12 AM
And as I said, what if the user never even sees the license, such as by circumventing it or using a cracked installer without one.  How is being legally bound to some contract you never saw or agreed to, or even knew existed, fine with you?
If the user never sees the license, then he never opened the package; the license is part of the electronic distribution unless he altered the original binary or the binary in memory, which is illegit; or it's part of the physical package.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

Soul Taker

Both of you, the fact remains, illegal or not, are you bound to a contract you never saw or even knew existed, let alone agreed to?  Anyone can download a program, not knowing it's been cracked and had the installer modified.

muert0

PLaying ignorant isn't enough to prove innocence.
To lazy for slackware.

Soul Taker

Quote from: muert0 on October 03, 2004, 07:59 PM
PLaying ignorant isn't enough to prove innocence.
Innocence from WHAT?  The point is NOT that the software is pirated, whether you know it or not.  The point IS that you don't even know a contract exists!

Banana fanna fo fanna

Couldn't you plead the 5th if you pirated software?