• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Computer Engineering

Started by TheMinistered, September 28, 2004, 07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheMinistered

I've been doing software programming for a long time now.  I am just now starting to get interested in how to build my own circuits, write software to interact with them, etc

What type of stuff should I be googling, what would you consider 'important'?  What kind of tools should one need? etc?

j0k3r

Learn how to do basic puts and gets using a parallel port cable on your PC (crap, I don't even know what it plugs into). A basic circuit board, some wires, LEDs, switches/buttons should get you started, also try to find a nice tutorial to go with the language you're using.
QuoteAnyone attempting to generate random numbers by deterministic means is, of course, living in a state of sin
John Vo

quasi-modo

just building your own pc is easy. I mean you order the parts and assemble it. But you can't really make it from scratch. But I have played around with basic circuits, made my own small radio transmitter and some other gismost. I just got the parts from radio shack. Like a bread board, come small resistors and capacitors. When I made the little transmitter I ordered the parts in a kit and it came with a step by step manual to set it up... that was kind of like cheating. Oh well.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:04:19) nick is a turtle: Right now im not paying the power bill though
(00:04:33) nick is a turtle: if i had to pay the electric bill
(00:04:47) nick is a turtle: id hibernate when i go to class
(00:04:57) nick is a turtle: or at least when i go to sleep
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

Tuberload

Quote from: peofeoknight on September 28, 2004, 09:25 PM
But you can't really make it from scratch.

If it can't be made from scratch, then how are the parts you order made?
Quote"Pray not for lighter burdens, but for stronger backs." -- Teddy Roosevelt
"Your forefathers have given you freedom, so good luck, see you around, hope you make it" -- Unknown

Mephisto

I think what he's saying is you can't make them in your household easily.  In other words, you would need advanced technology (perhaps?) to create them, and special machines.  :-O

quasi-modo

exactly, you can't run a chip foundry out of your garage. Atleast not without a garage that is extremely large and you have a butt load of cash.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

muert0

I'd say ask someone who's been working a little on a it a little himself. This guy looks like he may be reading a little about it:
http://forum.valhallalegends.com/phpbbs/index.php?topic=7298.0
To lazy for slackware.

Tuberload

Quote from: Mephisto on September 28, 2004, 09:48 PM
I think what he's saying is you can't make them in your household easily. In other words, you would need advanced technology (perhaps?) to create them, and special machines. :-O

You're a real genius, I don't think I will be able to easily reach your level... You know computers were invented in someone’s garage, I wonder how advanced the technology was they used. I hope the sarcasm is easier to detect in this post.
Quote"Pray not for lighter burdens, but for stronger backs." -- Teddy Roosevelt
"Your forefathers have given you freedom, so good luck, see you around, hope you make it" -- Unknown

quasi-modo

Quote from: Tuberload on September 28, 2004, 10:22 PM
I think what he's saying is you can't make them in your household easily. In other words, you would need advanced technology (perhaps?) to create them, and special machines. :-O

You're a real genius, I don't think I will be able to easily reach your level... You know computers were invented in someone's garage, I wonder how advanced the technology was they used. I hope the sarcasm is easier to detect in this post.
Eniac was invented in a garrage?  :-X
I mean you are not going to be able to create something real advanced in a garage. You might be able to whip up some circuit boards, but I doubt you would be making the parts that plug into that board.

What is the point of Adron's uv box? I mean where does the box come in to play? I can see the board, the soldering pen, the little nic nacs (capacitors, chips, etc), but whats the box for?

My interest is now piqued.
WAR EAGLE!

muert0

It just depends on how advanced your brain is. If you can't program a VCR you probably will have problems making something worthwhile.
He used the box to make the board.
To lazy for slackware.

Zorm

Quote from: peofeoknight on September 28, 2004, 10:32 PM
Quote from: Tuberload on September 28, 2004, 10:22 PM

You're a real genius, I don't think I will be able to easily reach your level... You know computers were invented in someone's garage, I wonder how advanced the technology was they used. I hope the sarcasm is easier to detect in this post.
Eniac was invented in a garrage?  :-X
I mean you are not going to be able to create something real advanced in a garage. You might be able to whip up some circuit boards, but I doubt you would be making the parts that plug into that board.

What is the point of Adron's uv box? I mean where does the box come in to play? I can see the board, the soldering pen, the little nic nacs (capacitors, chips, etc), but whats the box for?

My interest is now piqued.

The UV box is used in the etching process of making the printed circuit board. You may want to read up on how PCBs are made by home users.
"Now, gentlemen, let us do something today which the world make talk of hereafter."
- Admiral Lord Collingwood

muert0

To lazy for slackware.

Adron

Quote from: muert0 on September 29, 2004, 12:25 AM
http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/vk3yng/pcb/making_pcbs.htm

I wouldn't use eprom erasing tubes - those are the wrong wavelength. And my laser printer works very well for producing the films. I've had much more trouble with inkjets because over time the heads tend to get a few holes blocked. This causes thin gaps in the connections on the PCB which is *not* good.

quasi-modo

That's awesome. I have always just used bread boards, not etched boards.
WAR EAGLE!

dxoigmn

Is it cheaper to make your own or use a service such as http://www.pad2pad.com/?