• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Database/Network/Security Book(s)

Started by j0k3r, September 25, 2004, 01:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

j0k3r

I went to a university fair today and realized I had to choose what I wanted to go into before going into university. I decided on the computer science course, and to specialize in in databases, networks, or security (or a combination?) because that's what interests me. Just to make sure these careers are what I think they are, I'm going to do some reading and buy a book about one (or all) this week.

Can somebody recommend some books to look at (Grok has some nice books, and the list is outdated!), or a website with an overview of these careers? Can somebody in the fields tell me how you like it?
QuoteAnyone attempting to generate random numbers by deterministic means is, of course, living in a state of sin
John Vo

Banana fanna fo fanna

Those are often "how-to" guides for using current technology; it gets boring fast. I'd suggest going into computer science research stuff.

iago

I've been reading Hacking Exposed for some time now at work.  It's quite interesting, I've learned a lot about both networking and hacking.

I would recommend signing up for mailing lists at securityfocus.com.  I subscribe to 6 different mailing lists there (bugtraq, security-basics, focus-linux, focus-ids, and others), and learn a lot just reading them.

But I get about 30 or 40 emails during the day, and that many more in the evening/night, every day from those lists.  But I enjoy reading them.

Mitnick's book on social engineering is apparently also quite good.  I'm going to read it after i'm done Hacking Exposed.  I forget what it's called, but I can get the name Monday.
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Banana fanna fo fanna

I've read it. "Art of Deception", it's okay.

iago

Quote from: $t0rm on September 26, 2004, 04:35 AM
I've read it. "Art of Deception", it's okay.

That's the one!  It looks like it's worth reading, and I will.  
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*