• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Well i want to learn java

Started by Michael, September 21, 2004, 04:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael

Hi, i just downloaded Java 2 platform edition 1.4 SDK from java.sun.com and i want to learn how to use it and learn java so please help me!

Tuberload

Check out this link: http://forum.valhallalegends.com/phpbbs/index.php?board=34;action=display;threadid=5461

Specifically I would read Thinking in Java by Bruce Eckel. It is very informative, and a plus for me is that it is free. Learn the syntax of the language and figure out how it works.

Next I would recommend reading up on OOP in general. A lot of books even use Java as their testing language, so that is another plus.

Next download and learn how to navigate and understand the Java API Specification located here: http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/index.html . This will be your best friend shortly.

Next have fun and start making things. I recommend joining some sort of community project like JavaOp or something, only because it has tremendously helped me learn programming concepts in general.

Have Fun,
Tuberload

Edit: Added JavaOp link.
Quote"Pray not for lighter burdens, but for stronger backs." -- Teddy Roosevelt
"Your forefathers have given you freedom, so good luck, see you around, hope you make it" -- Unknown

TangoFour

When I started learning Java as part of a programming course, we used the book "An Introduction to Programming and Object-Oriented Design using Java" by Jaime Nino and Frederick A. Hosch - which does pretty much what it says in the title - it's not exactly about Java, but it's a good introduction to OO (if the book's being used at a University level introductory programmign course it can't be that bad right?)

A good book about Java that I've used is "Just Java" by Peter van der Linden

MyndFyre

Quote from: TangoFour on September 22, 2004, 07:19 AM
(if the book's being used at a University level introductory programmign course it can't be that bad right?)

Actually.... yes.

However, I believe that's the same book I used a couple years ago, and yes, it's quite good.  :)
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

Banana fanna fo fanna

Our AP compsci class uses www.scsite.com/java

It's TERRIBLE! They're trying to make people hate computer science.

muert0

I'm liking Oreilly's Learning Java.
To lazy for slackware.

Newby

Quote from: muert0 on September 22, 2004, 09:00 PM
O'Reilly is an awesome author. His "Practical C++ Programming" book is amazingly good. :)
- Newby

Quote[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

Quote<TehUser> Man, I can't get Xorg to work properly.  This sucks.
<torque> you should probably kill yourself
<TehUser> I think I will.  Thanks, torque.

iago

Quote from: Newby on September 23, 2004, 12:42 AM
Quote from: muert0 on September 22, 2004, 09:00 PM
O'Reilly is an awesome author. His "Practical C++ Programming" book is amazingly good. :)

Dear die hard, you rock.  Especially the part where that guy was on the roof.  PS. do you know Mad Max?

O'Reilly isn't a person, it's a publishing company :P
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Falcon[anti-yL]

Our CS class uses "Fundamentals of Java".

R.a.B.B.i.T

Right now I'm using "A Guide to Programming in C++" by Lawrenceville Press, which is pretty good.  They have books for other things, and, if you can wait till July 2005, you can get their Java book.

PS: Stay away from "Java for Dummies" and "An Idiot's Guide to Java", they suck.

hismajesty

Quote from: Falcon[anti-yL] on September 23, 2004, 03:06 PM
Our CS class uses "Fundamentals of Java".

My AP CS class uses that book as well. I've known everything pretty much so far so I've only skimmed it, I do think it's a bit vague on some things though - such as binary conversion.

CrAzY

Quote from: R.a.B.B.i.T on September 30, 2004, 08:48 PM
Right now I'm using "A Guide to Programming in C++" by Lawrenceville Press, which is pretty good.  They have books for other things, and, if you can wait till July 2005, you can get their Java book.

PS: Stay away from "Java for Dummies" and "An Idiot's Guide to Java", they suck.

The best way to learn any language in my opinion is just reading scripts.  You get real life examples free  ;D

By the way, any book with more than 150 pages is probaly a waiste.  You only need to learn the basics and then you can just learn off java.sun.com
CrAzY

Banana fanna fo fanna

Quote from: CrAzY on November 11, 2004, 02:16 PM

The best way to learn any language in my opinion is just reading scripts. You get real life examples free ;D

By the way, any book with more than 150 pages is probaly a waiste. You only need to learn the basics and then you can just learn off java.sun.com

Worthless post alert!!!

MyndFyre

Quote from: Banana fanna fo fanna on November 11, 2004, 02:25 PM
Quote from: CrAzY on November 11, 2004, 02:16 PM

The best way to learn any language in my opinion is just reading scripts. You get real life examples free ;D

By the way, any book with more than 150 pages is probaly a waiste. You only need to learn the basics and then you can just learn off java.sun.com

Worthless post alert!!!

Worthless post alert!!!

(Note: I think you're generally a pretty good guy $t0rm.  But sometimes you're a hypocrite.  :P)
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.