• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

I'm starting to come to the dark side. :P

Started by MyndFyre, September 09, 2004, 01:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MyndFyre

So here I am, for the first time @ vL.com with Konqueror.

But I feel slightly dirty...

I'm using the SuSE 9.1 distro (the live CD ISO) to test out how it will run on my computer.

That said, I'm running the ISO from within Microsoft VirtualPC 2004.

So, I'm using an emulator to emulate a machine that is really just emulating the actual operating system.

On top of it, I was thinking about making the ISO a VirtualCD-compatible file, and sticking it into one of my virtual CD drives, thus making it an emulator using an emulator.  :P

Anyway, looks like I'll download the full distro and install this.  Hopefully it'll work out well.  :D

By the way, the nice thing about using VirtualPC is that my internet works natively (I just configured the emulated network adapter to use the wireless driver for Windows).  :D

I'm not used to having my "spelling errors" highlighted in red.  Couldn't figure that out.... :P
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

muert0

I installed SuSE again the other day. the only problem I'm having so far is that it syas javac isn't a found command. Guess I'll get it eventually.
To lazy for slackware.

j0k3r

QuoteAnyone attempting to generate random numbers by deterministic means is, of course, living in a state of sin
John Vo

muert0

Yeah thanks for the links I read a couple of things this morning that said about the same thing but those describe it a little better for me.Plus it was like 3-4 this morning so I needed a little sleep to get my brain back in order.
Yeah the main problem was that SDK isn't installed only JRE is so I just had to install it and change the path.
To lazy for slackware.

MyndFyre

QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

iago

I wonder if you can run VMWare in Linux and load a virtual Windows box...

Btw, if you're planning on doing Security stuff from Linux, make sure Windows isn't at SP2, since SP2 disables raw packets.
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

MyndFyre

Quote from: iago on September 10, 2004, 12:10 PM

Btw, if you're planning on doing Security stuff from Linux, make sure Windows isn't at SP2, since SP2 disables raw packets.

Ewww WinXP SP2 took out the raw packet API?? :|

I have mixed feelings about that.

iago

Quote from: MyndFyre on September 10, 2004, 07:38 PM

Ewww WinXP SP2 took out the raw packet API?? :|

I have mixed feelings about that.

Well, accoring to this story:
http://seclists.org/lists/nmap-hackers/2004/Jul-Sep/0002.html
the only thing it's used for is hacking tools.  I don't know what they're on, but I use nmap to check my network for a lot of things all the time.  We also use Nessus for penetration testing, and other tools that this kills.  I think this was one of the changes that convinces me to never get SP2 the most.

muert0

To lazy for slackware.

iago

Skywing

There is a VMware for Linux, yes.  At work, at least one person used it for driver testing from his Linux laptop.

SP2 makes a doomed-to-fail attempt to disable sending on raw sockets; however, since VMware uses a driver for it's network stuff, I don't think it will be affected.

iago

I meant while it was running in a Windows VMWare instance.  Recursive VMWareing would be fun.

Banana fanna fo fanna

MyndFyre

Quote from: iago on September 11, 2004, 08:22 PM
I meant while it was running in a Windows VMWare instance.  Recursive VMWareing would be fun.

That's a mildly retarded attitude.  :P

iago

Quote from: $t0rm on September 11, 2004, 10:16 PM
Quote from: iago on September 11, 2004, 09:00 AM
Quote from: muert0 on September 11, 2004, 02:08 AM
And nmap has a workaround.
http://seclists.org/lists/nmap-hackers/2004/Jul-Sep/0003.html

I have 2: "Use Linux" or "Don't Install SP2"

I like being able to do something useful with my computer, thank you.

If you can't on Linux, then you obviously suck :P

I get so much more done on Linux.  I have a hard time programming on Windows for so many different reasons.