• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Bush opens double digit lead

Started by hismajesty, September 03, 2004, 06:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hismajesty

I'm trying to keep my politcal posts here minimal to avoid arguments/flames/etc by both sites but anyway, this is great:

57% trust Bush to handle the war on terrorism, while 36% trust Kerry.

Edit: Woah
http://www.electionguide04.com/straw_poll.adp

Falcon[anti-yL]

Bush-532
Kerry-6
Interesting...

hismajesty

Quote from: Falcon[anti-yL] on September 03, 2004, 06:57 PM
Bush-532
Kerry-6
Interesting...

Yes, I'm pretty sure that that poll is messed up. The time poll isn't, though.

Kp

Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on September 03, 2004, 07:16 PMYes, I'm pretty sure that that poll is messed up. The time poll isn't, though.

Yeah, the Time poll is merely lazy -- way too small sample size (like most polls, actually).  I tend to doubt the accuracy of any poll that asks ~1000 people, given the number of votes cast in a national election... :)  I'm not contesting that it's a shift from prior poll results, though.
[19:20:23] (BotNet) <[vL]Kp> Any idiot can make a bot with CSB, and many do!

hismajesty

If the sample size had been larger (as that's not even large enough to fit acquire one electoral vote) it'd have been more acurate. However, on previous polls of the same size - Bush was either winning by one or two percent, or losing. It's a good result, imo.

quasi-modo

I heard that 52% was not facoring in his speech. I saw that on fox today and shep said this does not include his speech last night, so that should boost it still more.

I like the figures on that aol straw pole. I think that sounds about right myself. They reset it yesterday and only had one person register on their site since then. I bet if we saw it on the 31st it would have been much more even and had many more people in it.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:04:19) nick is a turtle: Right now im not paying the power bill though
(00:04:33) nick is a turtle: if i had to pay the electric bill
(00:04:47) nick is a turtle: id hibernate when i go to class
(00:04:57) nick is a turtle: or at least when i go to sleep
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

muert0

To lazy for slackware.

SNiFFeR

I hope bush loses. It'll make me happy that Trust is sad.

Sargera

Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on September 03, 2004, 11:56 PM
Quote from: muert0 on September 03, 2004, 11:52 PM
I hate the electoral college.

Why?

It's the reason why Bush was put into office over Algore.  Arguably, too, it takes away the purpose of citizens voting.

hismajesty

Quote from: Sargera on September 04, 2004, 12:45 AM

Why?

It's the reason why Bush was put into office over Algore.  Arguably, too, it takes away the purpose of citizens voting.

No it wasn't, Bush won fair - like it or not. No it doesn't, there's only been four times since the Electoral College was founded that the popular vote winner wasn't the winner.

You think just because Florida Democrats are too stupid to read the ballot (I saw a picture of it - it makes perfect sense) Bush won because of something illicit? Gore was only leading by 0.5% in the popular vote, which doesn't leave much to play around with. Supposedly, the areas where the recounts happened were in elderly, white, Republican areas which would most likely have gone Republican anyway. You think the "confusing" ballots were unfair? Tell that to the 46,000 dual registered voters in New York City (68% Democrat.)

Eibro

Quote from: hismajesty[yL] on September 03, 2004, 06:04 PM
I'm trying to keep my politcal posts here minimal to avoid arguments/flames/etc by both sites but anyway, this is great:

57% trust Bush to handle the war on terrorism, while 36% trust Kerry.

Edit: Woah
http://www.electionguide04.com/straw_poll.adp
Really? I could have sworn your last n topics had their roots in politics. More specifically, the republicans.
Eibro of Yeti Lovers.

idoL

Why?

There was somthing not-quite-right about that election.

quasi-modo

Electoral college was created to prevent mob rule. It is what keeps california and the northeast from ruling the nation. It is similar to the virginia plan where state representation in congress is based on population and the new jersey plan where representation is based solely on state hood. In the senate all states get equal representation, in the house states are represented by population. But in the electoral college each state has a minimum number of votes and then more depending on population. All of this stuff was designed so that big states could not get legislation through that would aid their state and completely screw other states. It is still necessary very to this day. For example if california wanted to get some no power plant resolution passed because their are a lot of tree huggers over there, it could screw the other parts of the nation that do not agree with that (especially the south and midwest) over. In reverse if states had an equal vote all of the midwest states and southern states easily outnumber the highly populated states and could get must buy domestic food or whatever stuff through congress screwing the more urban states.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

quasi-modo

Quote from: Snake on September 04, 2004, 01:34 AM

Why?

There was somthing not-quite-right about that election.
Yeah the fact that Gore was allowed to recount in florida. You did not see bush pissing and moaning about the states that he lost to Gore by a very small margin, he could have easily gotten recounts himself. If those people in the southern parts of my state can't vote correctly then they really do not need to be voting IMO. The ballot is not hard to understand! I think we should actually have competence tests at the poles, but I know that will never happen.

edit: typos
WAR EAGLE!