• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Cell Phone

Started by Grok, August 05, 2004, 12:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cefx-

I base my opinion on the length limitation; the ease of which Piconets, "PAN"s based on bluetooth can be hopped onto/used; the 1mbps limitation.  (I also don't really know much about the data transfer types - SCO and ACL - which makes me kinda leary.  though this makes me now go to google and figure it all out.)

Unbiased speaking:
It's a good protocol with someone that doesn't really care about the limited things a PAN 'jumper' or "bluejacker" could do.

It's pretty well structured, in that physical objects such as walls do not obstruct the signal very much.

The fact it hops on the ISM band is pretty good, too.

All in all, it's a whimsical call, IMO.
It has its ups and downs -- the downs of which make me dislike it.

(Though, AFAIK, bluejacking is only a threat if you're in a major metropolitan area)
cefx
Technodev.org (future project) / UnixPartisan.org
Future dictator

muert0

It's just like any other software driven device if it's not secured it can be bad. Know what you have and secure it.
To lazy for slackware.

Adron

Already mentioned some to Grok, but just for completeness I'll do it here as well. Having had four cell phones over the last 8-10 years, these are my observations... Valuable features:

Good coverage - depends a lot on the operator but also some on the phone

Good sound quality - some phones have crappy microphones or speakers

A battery that lasts - what good is a phone when you're out of battery? Less of a problem these days, but still worth checking. I like to recharge my phone in the weekends, so it has to last a week.

Ergonomic design - buttons large enough for your fingers, clear and easy to read display (preferably even in sunlight). Make sure you try it in the store. The most common operations have to be easily accessible - find a number in the phone book and dial it, add a number to the phone book, look up caller id for missing calls. Get a phone that you like, if it's too slow in the menus, or the interface doesn't make sense to you, look for another one.

I have a headset (not wireless) that I use most of the time. I highly recommend getting one. I don't like bluetooth headsets that much, because that's another battery to recharge. Or that runs out just when you need it the most. A friend of mine got a bluetooth headset, but don't think he uses it anymore.

Ring tones was a problem on one phone - it wasn't loud enough, so you couldn't hear it when it was in a bag.

Extra features - wap / gprs / 3G, java games, digital camera, calendar/ outlook sync, bluetooth / ir - can be useful depending on what you're going to do with the phone. I just recently found out that I can bring up maps in the phone through the internet access in it. Very useful in the car when going somewhere and getting lost.

A convenient keylock function on the phone is important so it doesn't dial numbers from your pocket.

I typically get my phone for free with a subscription, or at a discount. All phones work with all operators here, although some features of some phones don't. (i.e. fax, blocking numbers, call cost display, online buddy list, etc - rarely used features)

mejal

Don't buy a too small phone.
Mine is small and cute and prefer to hide when I need it. Especial when someone is calling you. The phone uses to show up exactly when the person calling me hangs up. His name (the phone, not the person who calls) is Siemens.

Grok

Thank you everyone.  I choose an Sony Ericcson T637 phone.

I did not try any in the store, however as Adron suggested.  Instead, I went to forums all over the web and read complaints about various phones from users.  The speed of menus as Adron mentioned, that was a hot topic.  Since I will mostly be using this phone in my Swedish demon car Volvo S60R, *insert big grin*, I wanted a bigger phone.  Battery life is important too, since I am forgetful about recharging things.  I should be OK since it will be my only phone; cutting off the land line about two weeks after I get the cell.  Button size and position matters, and this phone has '0' on the bottom row, making it easy to press any number by feel.  I wish it had a bump on the '5' key though, to indicate center of the number keypad.  I did not care about the VGA display, games, webmail, or anything like that, for now, so none of those were an issue.  I did want Bluetooth so I could integrate the phone with other devices as I figure out what I want in that arena.

cefx-

Forgot to mention this site:
http://www.phonescoop.com

I want to exchange my V300 for the V600.
If I can, I am going to....

I'd love to get the Sony Ericcson P800:
http://www.shoprogers.com/store/wireless/products/phones/products_details.asp?shopperID=XL9G9CK5BK118P2U12L02NLHQJ1F7TCF&PRODUCTID=P800&summary=1
cefx
Technodev.org (future project) / UnixPartisan.org
Future dictator

Adron

Quote from: Grok on August 07, 2004, 10:07 AM
Thank you everyone.  I choose an Sony Ericcson T637 phone.

Is that like a T630, except with American gsm bands?

I wanted a bigger phone.

Doesn't seem like a bigger phone to me, only reaches half-way down my cheek, but.... :P

Button size and position matters, and this phone has '0' on the bottom row, making it easy to press any number by feel.  

Are there cellphones that don't have 0 on the bottom row between * and #?

I wish it had a bump on the '5' key though, to indicate center of the number keypad.

The T630 has a small bump on the '5' key. Maybe yours has too... I rarely dial numbers by feel though, I tend to pick them from the phone book - down arrow, first letter of name, possibly a few downs, and dial.

muert0

Mine has the numbers in a circle kinda like the old analog phones.
To lazy for slackware.