• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Cell Phone

Started by Grok, August 05, 2004, 12:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grok

I'm in the market for a cell phone.  Not counting your first cell phone, when you had no real idea what you wanted, what features have been most important to you when buying a new phone?

How many of you actually use bluetooth devices, rather than just have them?  Do you use bluetooth headsets while driving or walking?  I really don't care for a wire if I can avoid it.  Which devices have been the best for you personally?

Networks -- there are a number of cell networks out there.  If I buy a phone, how do you then shop for a network provider?  Most want you to buy their phone when signing up for a plan.  Can you tell them you already have a phone?  What if they say "sorry, that phone is not compatible with our network" when it really is?

P.S.  Let's discuss features only please.  I do not want this topic to stray into pricing, charges and fees.

quasi-modo

I just have a color screen flip phone and a lot of minutes. It is fine for me. I never play any of the games, never use my head set, so on and so fourth. I do not even talk when I drive usually. When people call me I tend to not know about it or ignore it because I keep my phone on vibrate and it is often resting in my console. I only call people when I need to call work because I am stuck in traffic.

Whatever you do, do not get sprint. It may be better where you are, but it has been crappy for me whever I have been. Sprint is all over the nation, you can get service about everywhere, but its really weak and crappy. I can barley get service in my house, let alone school or work. Motorolla all the way.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:04:19) nick is a turtle: Right now im not paying the power bill though
(00:04:33) nick is a turtle: if i had to pay the electric bill
(00:04:47) nick is a turtle: id hibernate when i go to class
(00:04:57) nick is a turtle: or at least when i go to sleep
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

iago

I was looking for cheap.  I don't use the phone much, so  opted for pay-as-you-go.  I pay 39 cents/minute during the day, and 5 cents/minute evenings/weekends. I go to the store, put money on my phone, and use it till it runs out (which usually lasts pretty long).
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Hazard

I just look for something that has plenty of capacity as far as the phone book size goes and has features where I can add their address and e-mail so I don't have to carry an additional PDA, as well as long battery life.

"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." --John Wayne

Falcon[anti-yL]

I look for good price/minutes ratio.

quasi-modo

I was looking for cheap when I got mine too. I got a new users deal of 30 bucks for the phone. I also got my unlimited minutes after 7 and unlimited weekend minutes (I saved more cash by convincing my mom and dad to join us all up on a family plan and slit this and buy a large lump of any time minutes). But most of my calls after after 7 or on the weekend anyway so I do not use many minutes.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:04:19) nick is a turtle: Right now im not paying the power bill though
(00:04:33) nick is a turtle: if i had to pay the electric bill
(00:04:47) nick is a turtle: id hibernate when i go to class
(00:04:57) nick is a turtle: or at least when i go to sleep
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

j0k3r

I don't have much use for a cellphone, but most of my friends have them. Generally, they look for a free cellphone when signing up for a service, and the phones they get come with cameras which is very handy.
QuoteAnyone attempting to generate random numbers by deterministic means is, of course, living in a state of sin
John Vo

MyndFyre

Quote from: Grok on August 05, 2004, 12:25 PM
I'm in the market for a cell phone.  Not counting your first cell phone, when you had no real idea what you wanted, what features have been most important to you when buying a new phone?

How many of you actually use bluetooth devices, rather than just have them?  Do you use bluetooth headsets while driving or walking?  I really don't care for a wire if I can avoid it.  Which devices have been the best for you personally?

Networks -- there are a number of cell networks out there.  If I buy a phone, how do you then shop for a network provider?  Most want you to buy their phone when signing up for a plan.  Can you tell them you already have a phone?  What if they say "sorry, that phone is not compatible with our network" when it really is?

P.S.  Let's discuss features only please.  I do not want this topic to stray into pricing, charges and fees.

As far as bluetooth goes, I *would* use it for a headset if it wasn't so damn expensive.  I do have a phone that supports it.

That point aside, my phone has a digital camera, which wasn't a buying point for me (the free phone with activation was), but -- it is also my *only* digital camera.  Since my PDA supports Bluetooth, I can send pics to my PDA to then ActiveSync to my desktop PC.  It's a bit of a moot point, though, since my phone supports infrared, which my laptop also supports -- so there's no huge advantage to having the one that I have.  To be perfectly honest, I haven't found much point to having a camera on the phone.  The cameras aren't that great anyway -- just buy a damn digital camera if you want to take pictures.

As far as the network provider goes, I currently use T-Mobile.  For me it was the best for several reasons -- 1.) I frequently do travel out-of-town, and T-Mobile offers free nationwide roaming.  2.) Several friends have it, and in-network calls are free.  That in-and-of-itself is not unique to T-Mobile, but like I said -- several friends have it.  3.) They offered (when I bought my plan) a very nice 600 minutes plan (I had been on a family-shared-800-minutes plan) coupled with free nights and weekends.  My family plan only had free weekends -- getting nights was a big deal. 4.) At the time, wireless data access was cheap -- $3 a month.  I only use the feature rarely, but since I'm still a customer, still getting the $3 wireless data access, it's okay for me.

For me, what really sold it was the free nights coupled with free roaming and free long-distance.  I realize that free nights and long-distance are not unique to T-Mobile (and to be honest, I'm not even sure that roaming is anymore), but about 14 months ago, roaming was.  I could often get a combination of two of those three with other carriers, but with T-Mobile, I got all three.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

j0k3r

Myndfyre spends too much time out of the real world :P Let me explain why camera phones rule. On more than one occasion, funny signs or hot chicks have come across the path of my friends and I, and it is MUCH easier (and inconspicuous(sp?)) to whip out a phone and snap a picture than it is to carry around a digital camera. Believe me, you will probably kick yourself if you don't get it.
QuoteAnyone attempting to generate random numbers by deterministic means is, of course, living in a state of sin
John Vo

iago

I read somewhere about security issues with Bluetooth.  

http://www.securityfocus.com/news/5896
Seems that the only real problem is discovery, not infiltration, so it's not that bad.
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Zakath

I'm with Verizon...I don't know whether it differs or not down there, but in the northeast, literally no other provider even comes close to matching their coverage. I get strong reception in places where my friends on other networks can't make a call.

I also have free nights and weekends, as well as no roaming charges...
Quote from: iago on February 02, 2005, 03:07 PM
Yes, you can't have everybody...contributing to the main source repository.  That would be stupid and create chaos.

Opensource projects...would be dumb.

cefx-

Hey.

I have my Motorola V300, and it's quite excellent.

The latest LG VX series -- model number I'm not totally sure -- is supposed to be fantastic.

The major I've found is not actually with the phone, but the service.
GSM vs. CDMA
In America, CDMA is a better choice.
In Canada, Europe, etc, GSM is better.

As for actual phone options, a few things to keep an eye open for:
Long battery life
Vivid, bright color screen
Phonebook
two way speakerphone
Customization (appearance, sounds, etc.)

In all honesty, Bluetooth is worthless.
Heh.
cefx
Technodev.org (future project) / UnixPartisan.org
Future dictator

muert0

http://www.nokiausa.com/phones/3600
Here's the phone I have. It kicks very much ass. The camera is decent and I enjoy the ease of bluetooth. I can transfer pictures and videos to my roommates laptop, tablet, and to either of our PDA's or my desktop with the air2net bluetooth usb adapter. You can put pictures by people's phone numbers. I also have a 256mb memory card to store more pics. You can change ringtones if you care about that and the sound quality of phone conversation is good.
To lazy for slackware.

warz

I have a cell phone. It's silverish colored. I find that the coloring is nice because if I misplace it, it usually reflects the light back at me and catches my eye. I find that feature very helpful. It also has this thing that comes out of the top; some wire sort of thing. I find it very entertaining because I can extend it and sort of swing it around like a helicopter. I can also poke people in the ear, from behind and make them feel uncomfortable. Some kid told me to stop poking him with my antenta or something, once, so I atleast know it works at making people feel annoyed or uncomfortable. The coolest feature of my phone is that when I flip open the screen and hit the buttons they make these beeping noises. I think whoever built the phone knew how to play the guitar or saxaphone because I swear it plays the notes E, A, D, G, B and C#. Maybe the creator could play the gong too, but I've been told the gong can't make a B sound, so I don't know. If you were wondering about minutes and stuff, yes it knows how to count to 60 and all that. The size of the phone is very convinient because it fits fastly into most large shopping bags and grocery carts. This is great because I don't have to always carry it when I go to places like the mall, grocery store or even Sea World. (yes, it fits in those small whale-shaped kid strollers!) It's also affordable. It always tells me before I make a call that roaming rates will apply, then asks me if I want to continue. Ofcourse I want to! That's the best part, the rates roam around; they usually get lower I think, but sometimes they roam to some higher numbers. Soon the rates will find their way down to some small numbers and when they do I'll be sittin' pretty. It's a great phone. I recommend it to all.

Grok

Quote from: cefx- on August 05, 2004, 09:27 PM
In all honesty, Bluetooth is worthless.

On what do you base that opinion?

Also I am looking at this for the Volvo S60R -- Parrot CK3100 Advanced Bluetooth Car Kit