• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

New Worm

Started by Grok, July 19, 2004, 04:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grok

WORM_WUKILL.E

It hit us within 5 hours of release.  Written in VB6.  heh.

Newby

"RUN-TIME ERROR" :p
- Newby

Quote[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

Quote<TehUser> Man, I can't get Xorg to work properly.  This sucks.
<torque> you should probably kill yourself
<TehUser> I think I will.  Thanks, torque.

Zorm

Why are these things called worms? Whatever happened to just a plain virus?! To me a plain virus is one that is harmless until the person in the chair does something and a worm would be something like blaster/sql slammer/ect that doesn't require the user opening a file or such to cause infection.
"Now, gentlemen, let us do something today which the world make talk of hereafter."
- Admiral Lord Collingwood

Adron

Quote from: Zorm on July 19, 2004, 05:19 PM
Why are these things called worms? Whatever happened to just a plain virus?! To me a plain virus is one that is harmless until the person in the chair does something and a worm would be something like blaster/sql slammer/ect that doesn't require the user opening a file or such to cause infection.

I think it's because it distributes itself from one computer to the next as opposed to just infecting ("trojaning") local files and expecting the user to move an infected file to another computer.

quasi-modo

Its kind of amazing how trend micro can research and come up with fixes for new viruses so fast, because this virus does not look to be spreading too fast (from the link in the first post).
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:04:19) nick is a turtle: Right now im not paying the power bill though
(00:04:33) nick is a turtle: if i had to pay the electric bill
(00:04:47) nick is a turtle: id hibernate when i go to class
(00:04:57) nick is a turtle: or at least when i go to sleep
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

iago

Quote from: peofeoknight on July 19, 2004, 06:38 PM
Its kind of amazing how trend micro can research and come up with fixes for new viruses so fast, because this virus does not look to be spreading too fast (from the link in the first post).

I was reading somewhere about the number of "buckets" on the internet used for tracking worms, and there are _a lot_ of them.  

One thing I don't understand:
QuoteDiscovered: 18 hours, 26 minutes ago
(Jul. 19, 2004 12:00:00 AM GMT -0800)   
Detection available: 18 hours, 26 minutes ago
They instantly had detection: :-/
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

MyndFyre

Quote from: iago on July 19, 2004, 08:29 PM
Quote from: peofeoknight on July 19, 2004, 06:38 PM

I was reading somewhere about the number of "buckets" on the internet used for tracking worms, and there are _a lot_ of them.  

One thing I don't understand:
QuoteDiscovered: 18 hours, 26 minutes ago
Detection available: 18 hours, 26 minutes ago
They instantly had detection: :-/

Heh.  I noticed a new worm came out because my virus scanner didn't pick up the dog.scr attachment -- of all things, Outlook 2003 did.  ;)
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

iago

Quote from: Zorm on July 19, 2004, 05:19 PM

I was wondering about that myself, actually.  Generally worms are things that could happen when nobody is even touching the computer, and that spread through exploits.  But *shrug* MassMailers are normally called Worms, so who knows?

quasi-modo

Well netsky is a worm, it has its own built in smtp type of deal going on. Now there is something called html netsky, it is an html email but encorperates an ie exploit to run the attachments from the html, pretty slick.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

muert0

A mass-mailer is a worm because it self replicates.
http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/w/worm.html
To lazy for slackware.

iago

Hmm, it seems that you're right :)

Quote<networking, security> (From "Tapeworm" in John Brunner's
novel "The Shockwave Rider", via XEROX PARC) A program that
propagates itself over a network, reproducing itself as it
goes. Compare virus. Nowadays the term has negative
connotations, as it is assumed that only crackers write
worms.

Perhaps the best-known example was the Great Worm.

Compare Trojan horse.

From The Free Online Dictionary of Computing

muert0

Definitions seem about the same to me. And a mass-mailer propogates over a network through email, right? But I guess they don't move by thereselves because there's that one step that requires a retard to just open any random attachments. And they think I have a/v so I'm protected.
To lazy for slackware.

quasi-modo

Quote from: muert0 on July 20, 2004, 08:35 PM
Definitions seem about the same to me. And a mass-mailer propogates over a network through email, right? But I guess they don't move by thereselves because there's that one step that requires a retard to just open any random attachments. And they think I have a/v so I'm protected.
well thats the neat thing about html netsky, it realies on ie's crappyness to automatically run the attachments.
WAR EAGLE!

muert0

I block out any email with attachments.
To lazy for slackware.

quasi-modo

I should... but every so often friends send me stuff with attachments. unfortunatly they are the types of people that download coolsong.mp3               .exe on kazaa.
WAR EAGLE!