• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Drive letter revolution. (Read this. It will rock your world.)

Started by Yoni, July 11, 2004, 08:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoni

In old times, computers had only floppy drives. The drive letter A: was chosen, and B: for a secondary drive (if any).

When hard drives became standard hardware in computers, the next letters were used - C:, D: and so forth, for hard drive partitions. When optical drives (CD-ROM, etc.) were introduced, they also used the next letters.

Today, we are in modern times. Floppy drives are antiques.

Today, while setting up my new computer, I realized that I haven't been using floppy drives for years. On my old computer's motherboard, the floppy drive IDE port has a few broken pins, which means I'm unable to use it. It's been like this for about 2 years, and it never bothered me! On the new computer, the first thing I did when getting it was open it, and physically remove the floppy drive. I did this before even starting it up for the first time.

Modern computers usually have one or two optical drives. A computer with a DVD-ROM + a CD-RW drive is a common sight. However, floppy drives are completely useless.

The revolution immediately follows:

Assign the drive letter A: to the primary optical drive, and the drive letter B: to the secondary optical drive (if such exists). Drive letters C-Z will be all hard drives and network drives.

So simple, yet so brilliant. Why didn't anyone think of this before?

hismajesty

Floppies are still used widely in my school, and probably others. I use my thumbdrive so I don't care either way, but eh.

Zorm

Most people don't use their optical drives like they do a floppy drives. A better replacement would be reserving A: and B: for use with removeable usb/firewire harddrives and memory sticks. Then atleast it would serve the same general purpose if nothing else :p
"Now, gentlemen, let us do something today which the world make talk of hereafter."
- Admiral Lord Collingwood

Thing

You all sound like Winders users to me.  Down with drive letters!!!
That sucking sound you hear is my bandwidth.

Soul Taker

I use D: through I: right now as optical drives and virtual optical drives, so only having two letters reserved for them would suck.

quasi-modo

I have no need for the floppy. I use usb flash memory for just moving a file or two to another pc. Also my mp3 player doubles as a 40gb usb hard drive, I can move files from pc to pc with that.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:04:19) nick is a turtle: Right now im not paying the power bill though
(00:04:33) nick is a turtle: if i had to pay the electric bill
(00:04:47) nick is a turtle: id hibernate when i go to class
(00:04:57) nick is a turtle: or at least when i go to sleep
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

iago

Quote from: Thing on July 11, 2004, 08:20 PM
You all sound like Winders users to me.  Down with drive letters!!!

iago@laptop:~$ mount
/dev/hda5 on / type ext3 (rw)
/dev/hdc on /mnt/cdrom type iso9660 (ro,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
usbfs on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
/dev/sda1 on /mnt/usbhd type ntfs (rw,uid=1000,umask=0077)
iago@laptop:~$

Owned!
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*