• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

.net on linux, unix and mac, its finally here!

Started by quasi-modo, July 05, 2004, 10:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quasi-modo

Novell finally released mono version 1.0, its been in beta stages for a while and people have been using it for a while, but this is the first full version.
http://www.mono-project.com/about/index.html
It supports vb.net and c#.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:04:19) nick is a turtle: Right now im not paying the power bill though
(00:04:33) nick is a turtle: if i had to pay the electric bill
(00:04:47) nick is a turtle: id hibernate when i go to class
(00:04:57) nick is a turtle: or at least when i go to sleep
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

c0ol

Yea ive just gotten into Mono and c# on linux, its real cool.  im gonna be working on some bnetish things with MonoDevelop i think.

quasi-modo

I can't wait till they finish the vb.net. I plan on running a SuSE asp.net server.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

Banana fanna fo fanna

Mono isn't ready yet. It's ASP.NET performance blows ass, and without support for WinForms, a large majority of .NET apps won't run.

Regardless, Mono/.NET are the future.

c0ol

Quote from: $t0rm on July 21, 2004, 09:57 AM
Mono isn't ready yet. It's ASP.NET performance blows ass, and without support for WinForms, a large majority of .NET apps won't run.

I use gtk# :)

MyndFyre

Quote from: $t0rm on July 21, 2004, 09:57 AM

On top of Gtk#, you should be able to run it with WINE.

Yes yes, post disparaging remarks about WINE here.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

Banana fanna fo fanna

The whole point of mono, as I see it, is to run .NET apps on both Windows and Linux. At this point, it doesn't.

c0ol

windows.forms work using winelib does it not?

as in not running it w/ wine but it actaully using winelib to provide access to win32 api natively.

quasi-modo

Well you can run asp.net 1.1 on mono and run c#, like mono works just fine for that. So when they finish vb.net I will be able to run my scripts on linux. But atleast asp.net is cross platform now.
WAR EAGLE!

Banana fanna fo fanna

quasi-modo

Quote from: $t0rm on July 21, 2004, 05:46 PM
It's still slow ass.
well its still new... asp.net 1.1 is still buggy. Look at the damn session state, its not reliable at all. How often does a session even last to the default 20 minutes... rarely. I use cookies more then the session because I can depend on a good old cookie. But asp.net 2.0 will fix this, and hopefully it will clean up the output for some of the validator controls and all. I do not use them because they output bad html, I just use my own js and a server side script as a backup (but even if I get rid of some of the add in stuff asp.net still does so much for me that asp classic does not, it does not make me any slower to do stuff this way).
WAR EAGLE!

Banana fanna fo fanna

quasi-modo

Quote from: $t0rm on July 22, 2004, 11:11 AM
That post makes me glad I don't use ASP.NET :)
eh you decided not to? Asp.net still rules despite 1 or 2 bugs. When the next version comes out there will be still more new features and they will work out the kinks.
WAR EAGLE!

Banana fanna fo fanna

I settled on FastCGI, Python, and 2 libraries for python: jonpy and PyMeld