• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Wierd problems

Started by Mitosis, June 17, 2004, 07:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spht

Quote from: Eibro[yL] on June 17, 2004, 10:01 PM
Quote from: Myndfyre on June 17, 2004, 06:07 PM
Quote from: iago on June 17, 2004, 11:10 AM
(if you're using Internet Explorer, there's no telling what can install itself, since any site can run any arbitrary piece of software).

Only if you're a total dumbass.
No, MyndFyre. Obviously nothing has happend to you yet, given that attitude. For the time being, consider yourself lucky.

You don't need luck if you follow simple guidelines for browsing the internet.

Keep up to date on security patches; only allow script things (active scripting, ActiveX applets, JavaScript) for trusted web sites, if you're going to allow it at all; and don't run your browser with full administrative privileges.

I've been using Internet Explorer for years and have never had a problem.  Consider me lucky?  No.

Mitosis

So you just have to know what your doing, and you will be fine.

j0k3r

I've noticed alot of people in vL mentioning not running IE in administrative, maybe someone can explain how to do this without 2 users (possible?) and why it works (I have an idea, but I'd like to see if it's right).
QuoteAnyone attempting to generate random numbers by deterministic means is, of course, living in a state of sin
John Vo

iago

Quote from: j0k3r on June 18, 2004, 05:39 AM
I've noticed alot of people in vL mentioning not running IE in administrative, maybe someone can explain how to do this without 2 users (possible?) and why it works (I have an idea, but I'd like to see if it's right).

You technically shouldn't run _anything_ as administrator.  But you would need a second user to do that.
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

K

If you're on an NT based OS you can right click on IEXPLORE.EXE and choose "Run As..."

iago

Quote from: K on June 18, 2004, 10:54 AM
If you're on an NT based OS you can right click on IEXPLORE.EXE and choose "Run As..."

Quotewithout 2 users
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Spht

Quote from: j0k3r on June 18, 2004, 05:39 AM

I have two accounts: Administrator and Peasant.  I log in to Windows with Administrator, but run Internet Explorer as Peasant.  Peasant is a very restricted account which, if a web site managed to avoid all my other restrictions configured in Internet Explorer (which I listed in a previous post) or exploited something else, would not be able to "install programs or make potentially damaging changes to the system files and settings."