Peace.

Eibro

Quote from: cefx on May 28, 2004, 02:34 AM
Howdy,

Has anyone bought/read/used this book?

Opinions/comments welcomed.
I'm on a mission.

Peace.
I've read bits and pieces. IMO, it's a very difficult read compared to other books. I wouldn't recommend starting here, there are better books for a beginner.
Eibro of Yeti Lovers.

Adron

It's a great book though. For all the competent readers out there, it's just what you need!

Grok

The book is a concise explanation of the language, including the design considerations for the features.  The author goes into minor detail about the tradeoffs made when developing and evolving C++ from the days of "C with Classes" until its later versions.

If you have a structured mind, and like reading technical texts which build logically on previous concepts, you will greatly enjoy this book.

Tuberload

Quote from: Grok on May 28, 2004, 11:39 PM
The book is a concise explanation of the language, including the design considerations for the features.  The author goes into minor detail about the tradeoffs made when developing and evolving C++ from the days of "C with Classes" until its later versions.

If you have a structured mind, and like reading technical texts which build logically on previous concepts, you will greatly enjoy this book.

Ah the best review yet! I will be buying this book as soon as I build up my desire to venture into C++. ;D
Quote"Pray not for lighter burdens, but for stronger backs." -- Teddy Roosevelt
"Your forefathers have given you freedom, so good luck, see you around, hope you make it" -- Unknown

cefx-

I don't have any programming background...so of course I'm not *starting* with that book.

I'm reading through the tutorial on cplusplus.com.  It's brief, but it outlines a lot of stuff.  But what do I know? lol.

Anyways, the book should be coming in a week or two..plenty of time to buy a computer, set up *nix (Screw Windows.  Heh.) and finish with cplusplus.com
cefx
Technodev.org (future project) / UnixPartisan.org
Future dictator

Fire

It's an excellent reference for you to use.

Mephisto

Note: Beginners should not use this book.  Before purchasing familiarize yourself with basic C and C++ at http://www.cprogramming.com or other tutorials.  I read through it at a local bookstore recently and found that it expected you to know some of the basics and vaguely went over some of them...

cefx-

Update:
The local store didn't have the book in stock, so I ended up ordering The C Programming Language by Kernigan and Ritchie

How the tides turn, heh.  I think I'd rather C, learn that for a year or two, then venture to C++...(further down the road: Assemble?! I wish..)

On a lesser, and virtually unimportant note:
Mephisto,

Woah!  That's so incredibly observant of you!
Please read Grok and Adron's post.
Thank you.

Cheers.
cefx
Technodev.org (future project) / UnixPartisan.org
Future dictator

iago

Quote from: cefx- on June 09, 2004, 12:36 PM
Update:
The local store didn't have the book in stock, so I ended up ordering The C Programming Language by Kernigan and Ritchie

I keep that book by my computer, although I don't really use it anymore.  Definately a good book, though, since they invented the language :)
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Grok

Quote from: Mephisto on June 09, 2004, 02:58 AM
Note: Beginners should not use this book.  Before purchasing familiarize yourself with basic C and C++ at http://www.cprogramming.com or other tutorials.  I read through it at a local bookstore recently and found that it expected you to know some of the basics and vaguely went over some of them...

Where did you find it to be vague?  I thought it was incrementally educational.  Not once did I find a section that introduced new material that would not be explained until later, unless it referenced that later section.

Arta

I think it's a great book, I'd recommend it.