• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Active System Information Updates

Started by Mephisto, May 24, 2004, 10:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mephisto

Recently I've been working on a program which actively updates your system's current information on Windows NT 4.0+.  I'm wondering though if anyone has used a program like this.  Typically a window that has a list of system informations like CPU usage, memory allocated, memory avaliable, page file, etc. etc. -- does anyone know of any free ones?  I'd like to get some ideas from them.  If one came with the source that'd be even better.  Thanks...

Just an example of what you might see in the window:

CPU Usage: 55%
Memory Avaliable: 403MB
Memory Used: 7021MB
Drive C Space: 4GB
IP: 63.241.83.7
etc.

Grok

I might should not tell you this, but you have taken the first step to becoming a decent programmer.  What has at some point driven many good programmers is an innate (maybe insane?), obsession with learning and understanding all the low-level mechanisms associated with their computer and operating systems.

When evaluating people on their computer I.Q., I often ask them distributed and varied, but surgical, questions about their systems.  Like, "describe to me the partition tables and how they are used in the PC boot sequence."

Mephisto

:)  I remember how excited I was when I first disected a computer, and how insanely excited I was to see it boot up while looking inside, though I was disapointed because I thought I was going to see eletricity, heh.  But that was some time ago.  ;)

effect

Why ask for something when u know its all on pscode?, (I guarentee there are more 100 examples of what your asking for)
Quote from: Mangix on March 22, 2005, 03:03 AM
i am an expert Stealthbot VBScript. Recognize Bitch.

Mephisto

Quote from: effect on May 24, 2004, 11:30 PM
Why ask for something when u know its all on pscode?, (I guarentee there are more 100 examples of what your asking for)

Not very accurate to assume someone would know where those places are, because I for one don't.  Thanks, though...

effect

Uve been here for 200 odd post's now , i assume people with any programming experience (who are serious) and who have been here for that amount of time  know about the existance of pscode.

Mephisto

Looking at the Website I see it's relatively shit and pointless...I don't see why you would think everyone who is *serious* about programming would know about it...The server is also extremely slow...

effect

Quote from: Mephisto on May 24, 2004, 11:51 PM
Looking at the Website I see it's relatively shit and pointless...I don't see why you would think everyone who is *serious* about programming would know about it...The server is also extremely slow...

Oh yea , your just ignoring the million lines of source code that resides there?

Fr0z3N

Rules before posting:

1. Google
2. PSCode
3. Forum Search

Posting is usually my last resort because everything has been asked you just have to find the answer.

Eibro

taskmgr.exe displays most of that.
Eibro of Yeti Lovers.

Maddox

GetSystemInfo() and GlobalMemoryStatus() is what I looked up from DMBot.

As for getting the WAN IP, I know of no standard way of getting it without some sort of remote server.
asdf.

Grok

Quote from: effect on May 25, 2004, 12:19 AM

Oh yea , your just ignoring the million lines of source code that resides there?

You're in desperate need to read "Second Foundation" by Isaac Asimov.

effect

Quote from: Grok on May 25, 2004, 01:33 AM
Quote from: effect on May 25, 2004, 12:19 AM

You're in desperate need to read "Second Foundation" by Isaac Asimov.

"thall shall not smigten thy heathen but let him into thy house"

wildstab at what your getting at  :P

Tuberload

Since we are recommending books for people to read, Mephisto:

A Lesson in Personal Empowerment
by John J. Murphy
Quote"Pray not for lighter burdens, but for stronger backs." -- Teddy Roosevelt
"Your forefathers have given you freedom, so good luck, see you around, hope you make it" -- Unknown

Eli_1

I'm glad to see the regular forum flamers were able to stop by and waste everyone's time -- again.