• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Win vs. Linux (Zone-H)

Started by Archonist, May 08, 2004, 09:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archonist

quasi-modo

I believe it. The majority of servers out there are linux based. I see headlines on internet.com about flaws in different distros of linux that allow for denial of service attacks etc. But what servers are running from bsd? I have never heard of server running from it. I mean you either have a windows or a linux server in this day and age, thats where its at.
I would aggree that windows does have its fair share of vulnerabilities, greater then that of linux, becuase the majority of computer users are on windows, and the majority of windows users are people like me mom that like to open every attachement and download mp3.exe on kazaa. But as far as server use goes, if the admin knows what he is doing windows should be pretty secure.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:04:19) nick is a turtle: Right now im not paying the power bill though
(00:04:33) nick is a turtle: if i had to pay the electric bill
(00:04:47) nick is a turtle: id hibernate when i go to class
(00:04:57) nick is a turtle: or at least when i go to sleep
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

Archonist

Quote from: peofeoknight on May 08, 2004, 10:10 AM
I believe it. The majority of servers out there are linux based. I see headlines on internet.com about flaws in different distros of linux that allow for denial of service attacks etc. But what servers are running from bsd? I have never heard of server running from it. I mean you either have a windows or a linux server in this day and age, thats where its at.
I would aggree that windows does have its fair share of vulnerabilities, greater then that of linux, becuase the majority of computer users are on windows, and the majority of windows users are people like me mom that like to open every attachement and download mp3.exe on kazaa. But as far as server use goes, if the admin knows what he is doing windows should be pretty secure.

Your kidding, right? I know alot of servers running BSD, for instance my host, Slacktech, and my website, http://nixfree.slacktech.com. Where did you get your information from? Servers only run from linuxs or windows? That's totally NOT true.

Grok

Quote from: Archonist on May 08, 2004, 10:19 AM
Quote from: peofeoknight on May 08, 2004, 10:10 AM

Your kidding, right? I know alot of servers running BSD, for instance my host, Slacktech, and my website, http://nixfree.slacktech.com. Where did you get your information from? Servers only run from linuxs or windows? That's totally NOT true.

Try not to take things people say too literally.  You'll end up in arguments all day.  He was saying that most everyone is running Windows or Linux as their servers.

Archonist

Quote from: Grok on May 08, 2004, 10:25 AM
Try not to take things people say too literally.  You'll end up in arguments all day.  He was saying that most everyone is running Windows or Linux as their servers.

No he wasn't. If you read his post it states

QuoteBut what servers are running from bsd? I have never heard of server running from it. I mean you either have a windows or a linux server in this day and age, thats where its at.

Meaning, There are no servers running BSD which is not true.

hismajesty

He said he's never heard of a server running *BSD, now he has.

Grok

Quote from: Archonist on May 08, 2004, 10:27 AM

QuoteBut what servers are running from bsd? I have never heard of server running from it. I mean you either have a windows or a linux server in this day and age, thats where its at.

Ugh.   Look up the term "literally".  I rest my case.  "Try not to take things people say too literally.  You'll end up in arguments all day."

Do you, for even a moment, believe he was saying that everyone runs only one of Windows or Linux?  If so, you're dumb as a rock.

Archonist

Quote from: Grok on May 08, 2004, 12:35 PM

Ugh.   Look up the term "literally".  I rest my case.  "Try not to take things people say too literally.  You'll end up in arguments all day."

Do you, for even a moment, believe he was saying that everyone runs only one of Windows or Linux?  If so, you're dumb as a rock.

No, I don't belive that, nor did I say that. I also don't feel like arguing all day and I did misread his post.

iago

This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

hismajesty

I had an argument in French once,  it was something along the lines of "what's dumber a rock or dirt?"

Thing

QuoteYOU SHOULD SEND ALL THIS ANALYSIS AND THESE GRAPHS IN /DEV/NULL

The most important part of that article.
That sucking sound you hear is my bandwidth.

quasi-modo

Yes I was lol.
But what servers are running from bsd? I have never heard of server running from it.
even if you do take what I said literally, I said I have never head of a server running from it.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

Forged

The Biggest PVPGN server Enders runs off of BDS.
QuoteI wish my grass was Goth so it would cut itself

Banana fanna fo fanna

Look at Netcraft top uptimes, and you'll see a ton of BSD servers :)

quasi-modo

what kind of servers are we talking about now? Still http? Or game, app, irc,  ftp, proxy, what?
WAR EAGLE!