• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Win2k3 Server, Web Edition

Started by MyndFyre, March 24, 2004, 08:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MyndFyre

Anybody know if Win2k3 Server, Web Edition, allows you to set up the Email Server Role?  It may mean a $20/month difference for me to get that vs. a Standard Edition server.  I'd like to save the money if I can.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

Hostile

All versions of Windows 2003 Server have full editions of IIS 6.0, I'm not sure if you mean something besides but you can go on microsofts side and find a comparison between the editions, just so you're aware of all the variations. :p
- Hostile is sexy.

MyndFyre

Quote from: Hostile on March 24, 2004, 11:30 PM
All versions of Windows 2003 Server have full editions of IIS 6.0, I'm not sure if you mean something besides but you can go on microsofts side and find a comparison between the editions, just so you're aware of all the variations. :p

MS's website is really general about what IIS includes.  You can set up a Web Server Role in Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition, as well as a separate Mail Server role.  The Mail Server allows you to run a POP3/SMTP server.

Still not sure, and I don't want to take the couple hours to re-format my extra NTFS partition and re-install Windows Server, now Web Edition, just to check for this one feature.  If anybody *happens* to know, I would appreciate the enlightenment.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Hostile

Though I wouldn't doubt potentially a less common service in the more expensive editions, both include "full" versions of IIS 6.0. If you haven't noticed, IIS includes their web, ftp, and mail servers.
- Hostile is sexy.

MrRaza

Quote from: Hostile on March 25, 2004, 11:33 AM
Though I wouldn't doubt potentially a less common service in the more expensive editions, both include "full" versions of IIS 6.0. If you haven't noticed, IIS includes their web, ftp, and mail servers.

I like to use Apache 2.0.49, but that's just my preference.

MyndFyre

Quote from: MrRaza on March 25, 2004, 05:22 PM
Quote from: Hostile on March 25, 2004, 11:33 AM

I like to use Apache 2.0.49, but that's just my preference.
Unfortunately Apache doesn't support ASP.NET, which is my primary development/deployment platform.