• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Anyone ever took VisualBasic 1 course?

Started by OuTLawZGoSu, March 11, 2004, 10:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OuTLawZGoSu

I just wanna know what they teach there.
I'm taking that class in about 5 months, since I already know some stuff on Vb. Shoul dbe easy.

Raven

I recall taking an introductory programming course in VB back in my Soph. year of HS. I didn't pay too much attention, but I think we got up to arrays. It was the first time, if I recall correctly, that the course was even being offered, so it was probably easier than in subsequent years. But if you know VB, I'd imagine you'd be fine in your class.

iago

When I took vb in highschool, it was pretty easy.  A lot of emphasis was put on style (like changing Text1 to txtCost).  We learned all the basics, and then other stuff up to control arrays and some graphics stuff ( dragging icons, etc )
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Stealth

Quote from: iago on March 11, 2004, 11:36 AM
When I took vb in highschool, it was pretty easy.  A lot of emphasis was put on style (like changing Text1 to txtCost).  We learned all the basics, and then other stuff up to control arrays and some graphics stuff ( dragging icons, etc )

We did this, with a strict emphasis on naming conventions and good code style. That should help you out quite a bit if you use it. :)

The class explained in detail much of the basic stuff, including variable types, scope, controls and their uses, etc.

We also went into user-defined types, various types of arrays, array traversal, and multi-form projects, coordinated through a Sub Main().
- Stealth
Author of StealthBot

Grok

When I teach programming, I emphasize #1) how to think, and #2) how to learn.

MyndFyre

Quote from: Grok on March 11, 2004, 03:02 PM

Then it won't be a public school.  You're not allowed to teach kids in public schools how to think.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

Newby

Closest thing to programming at my school is an HTML class.

EDIT -- The high school I'm going to is named 'Valhalla' :D!
- Newby

Quote[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

Quote<TehUser> Man, I can't get Xorg to work properly.  This sucks.
<torque> you should probably kill yourself
<TehUser> I think I will.  Thanks, torque.

iago

Quote from: Myndfyre on March 11, 2004, 08:55 PM

Then it won't be a public school.  You're not allowed to teach kids in public schools how to think.

I learned how to think a lot in highschool.  Especially in Physics and Chemistry, where I didn't learn much else (since I haven't done them in over 2 years) I still use some of the methods I learned.
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

MyndFyre

Quote from: iago on March 11, 2004, 09:49 PM
Quote from: Myndfyre on March 11, 2004, 08:55 PM

I learned how to think a lot in highschool.  Especially in Physics and Chemistry, where I didn't learn much else (since I haven't done them in over 2 years) I still use some of the methods I learned.

^^ sarcasm  ;)
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.