• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Driving Rants

Started by Grok, March 09, 2004, 11:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SNiFFeR

I learned how to drive a stick shift today.

It was so much fun, till I killed the car :(

Meh

Quote from: iago on March 09, 2004, 02:07 PM
You don't drive, do you?
Next year I will be able too. I have a Moped till then.

iago

Quote from: K on March 09, 2004, 03:11 PM
Quote from: iago on March 09, 2004, 01:37 PM
Quote from: Grok on March 09, 2004, 12:38 PM
3 lanes?  When was the last time he was in Atlanta, 1960?  They are 6 or 7 lanes each direction.

hmm, probably a couple days ago, a week ago at the absolute most.  Maybe it was a different state, though.. but I'm pretty sure he said Atlanta (thus, Georgia).

I live in Atlanta when I'm not at school.   I-285 is the perimiter that goes around the greater Atlanta area and I-75 goes through the city; larger trucks are not (supposed) to take I-75 through the city, but rather take 285 around.  Because of this, 75 is not a bad place to drive except through downtown at rush hour, but 285 can be awful -- the amount of trucks on it is obscene -- merging on with all of them can be an intense moment.  

Georgia 400 is our version of the Autobahn.

Edit:  Going through the city, 75 is ~4/5 lanes in one direction, but you can't stay in the 1st/2nd right lane because they usually turn into exit only lanes.

Edit 2:  iago, I will let you in on a little secret.  The posted speed limit of 65mph is a clever government joke.  Most drivers will drive between 70 and 80 if it's not too crowded.

Yeah, truck drivers know exactly how much they can push the limit by.  Plus, they are always in communication with each other, so, if there IS a speed trap, they know about it in advance.  Plus, police (in general) are more lenient with "professional drivers" than with the general public.

Plus, my stepdad normally drives nights (8pm - noonish, often later) to avoid traffic and to make sure that when he sleeps he can find a place to park.
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Adron

I typically drive at 120-130 when the speed limit is 110. Most cars tend to be going at just above 120.

Meh

It is more safe to drive faster than slower on freeways as you are more aware of the dangers and take more care.

iago

Quote from: Adron on March 10, 2004, 11:41 AM
I typically drive at 120-130 when the speed limit is 110. Most cars tend to be going at just above 120.

With the petal all the way down, my car would do 120(km/h) so I can't really beat that :)

Hazard

The thing I hate the most are "Mexican Roadblocks." This is when two cars take up both lanes of traffic going the exact same speeds.

"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." --John Wayne

iago

Quote from: Hazard on March 10, 2004, 03:14 PM
The thing I hate the most are "Mexican Roadblocks." This is when two cars take up both lanes of traffic going the exact same speeds.

I can't say I've ever heard that particular racist expression before, but I DO hate it when idiots "go slow in every lane beside each other."

Adron

Quote from: iago on March 10, 2004, 01:29 PM

With the petal all the way down, my car would do 120(km/h) so I can't really beat that :)

That sounds slow... Sure you calculated it right?

iago

Quote from: Adron on March 11, 2004, 03:01 AM
Quote from: iago on March 10, 2004, 01:29 PM

That sounds slow... Sure you calculated it right?

I didn't calculate anything, I took it on the highway and held down the petal for a couple minutes, till it stopped accelerating, then looked at the speedometer.  The most I've ever done is 135km/h, but lately I could only get to 120km/h.  It was a PoS car :)

Adron

Quote from: iago on March 11, 2004, 10:46 AM
I didn't calculate anything, I took it on the highway and held down the petal for a couple minutes, till it stopped accelerating, then looked at the speedometer.  The most I've ever done is 135km/h, but lately I could only get to 120km/h.  It was a PoS car :)

Oh right, you use real units. Hmm, I suppose it was just a PoS car then...

Naem

Grok: one explanation to your plight is that cars are using you as a "blocker." If you're going a significant amount over the speed limit then people will usually stick close to you so you get pulled over and not them. I did this about a week ago and it worked like a charm because the cop pulled over the people in front of me, but not me. It's wise to not stay too close to your blocker.

Although I really can't explain why they would match your speed at 45.
اگر بتوانید این را بهخوابید ، من را "پی ام" کنید

Adron

One possible problem with that is that police in moving vehicles with cameras might be more likely to get the rearmost vehicle?

Naem

If they're behind you, yes, or if they are coming from an onramp (which you should be looking for anyway). Typically they're somewhere in front of you.
اگر بتوانید این را بهخوابید ، من را "پی ام" کنید

Grok

Quote from: Naem on March 18, 2004, 06:20 PM
Grok: one explanation to your plight is that cars are using you as a "blocker." If you're going a significant amount over the speed limit then people will usually stick close to you so you get pulled over and not them. I did this about a week ago and it worked like a charm because the cop pulled over the people in front of me, but not me. It's wise to not stay too close to your blocker.

Although I really can't explain why they would match your speed at 45.

I really believe people are "driving dumb".  That is they have their hands on the steering wheel, their foot on the gas pedal, and their eyes straight ahead, but barely know they are driving.  Probably in a conversation with another person, listening to the radio or something.  They get in this zone where they feel like they're driving "with traffic", even if I'm the only other car on the road.  When I suddenly slow down (to let them go on by), they slow down too, reactionary.  When I speed up, their dumb minds realize they're going too slow, so speed up again.

And I do not block for anyone.  I go my own speed, and if someone wants to be a leech, I will separate myself from them somehow, even if I have to stop and get some water.  Mostly I go right at speed limit, up to 10mph over.

|