• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

D2 in Window Mode vs Full Screen

Started by j0k3r, March 06, 2004, 07:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

j0k3r

This blows me away... Thought someone should know about it :P

Running diablo 2 in full screen mode in act5 I have about 40fps.
Running diablo 2 in window mode in act5 I have about 220fps.

I'm sure you guys knew about this, why is it like this? If someone is interested in it then just ask I'll post up how to do it.
QuoteAnyone attempting to generate random numbers by deterministic means is, of course, living in a state of sin
John Vo

K

Quote from: j0k3r on March 06, 2004, 07:49 PM
This blows me away... Thought someone should know about it :P

Running diablo 2 in full screen mode in act5 I have about 40fps.
Running diablo 2 in window mode in act5 I have about 220fps.

I'm sure you guys knew about this, why is it like this? If someone is interested in it then just ask I'll post up how to do it.

I always play in windowed mode so I can talk on AIM/ listen to iTunes without Alt+Tabbing.  Plus I get weird graphics problems full screen.  

Skywing

Me too.  I even went so far as to write a program to let me play games in windowed mode if they weren't designed to allow it.

I have nVIDIA to thank for this, since they seem unable to write drivers that work properly in fullscreen (after something doesn't clean up DirectX properly in fullscreen, the drivers seem to get confused into thinking that nothing should be allowed to switch video modes anymore).

j0k3r

Quote from: Skywing on March 06, 2004, 09:23 PM
I have nVIDIA to thank for this, since they seem unable to write drivers that work properly in fullscreen (after something doesn't clean up DirectX properly in fullscreen, the drivers seem to get confused into thinking that nothing should be allowed to switch video modes anymore).

Ah I remember having that problem on my old card which I had for a couple years, I also remember fixing it once... just once.

Or maybe I didn't just fix it once, I remember being able to fix one of the problems by starting the game back up and exiting properly, maybe that was it?

GoGo ATI.
QuoteAnyone attempting to generate random numbers by deterministic means is, of course, living in a state of sin
John Vo

Soul Taker

Might be because you can't use the 3d perspective in windowed mode.

j0k3r

Quote from: Soul Taker on March 07, 2004, 12:02 AM
Might be because you can't use the 3d perspective in windowed mode.
Elaborate?
John Vo

Soul Taker

Well when you run the video test program, you can select to run D2 with 2d or 3d settings.  If you choose 3d, in full-screen mode you can use the 3d perspective, which is much better looking.  In windowed mode, it doesn't allow you to use 3d perspective (it's grayed out in the options if you look).

iago

That's true, in fullscreen go to menu (esc)/video options and turn off perspective.  I get MUCH better performance with that off.
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Etheran

Quote from: Skywing on March 06, 2004, 09:23 PM
Me too.  I even went so far as to write a program to let me play games in windowed mode if they weren't designed to allow it.

Can you send me that program?

Skywing

Try clicking on the link I helpfully provided in my post...

j0k3r

Skywing -- As far as I can tell it only supports starcraft/diablo/warcraft ii, not diablo ii or warcraft iii.

I can upload it somewhere, and create a simpler version of the 'how to'
file (the current file contains alot of junk if you just want to window it). There are also lots of other options you can use (like go straight to the bnet log in screen), you'll have to look through the 'how-to' file for that though.
John Vo

iago

Quote from: j0k3r on March 09, 2004, 08:22 AM
Skywing -- As far as I can tell it only supports starcraft/diablo/warcraft ii, not diablo ii or warcraft iii.

file (the current file contains alot of junk if you just want to window it). There are also lots of other options you can use (like go straight to the bnet log in screen), you'll have to look through the 'how-to' file for that though.

I would imagine that, when he wrote it, he didn't care about games that could natively fun in windowed mode.
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

j0k3r

Quote from: iago on March 09, 2004, 08:49 AM
Quote from: j0k3r on March 09, 2004, 08:22 AM

I would imagine that, when he wrote it, he didn't care about games that could natively fun in windowed mode.
What?

Since he didn't write it someone else did, and everyone I know that plays D2 wants to get their hands on it...
John Vo

j0k3r

As promised, here's the file (http://www.clanpc.net/dw-d2loader.zip), I found no virus but you might wanna take the 2 seconds to scan anyways.

Also, don't need the CD to play with this :), there's a file in the zip that tells you what you need to do for everything.

I'll do the 'how-to' later.
John Vo

UserLoser.

Or you could use the "-w" command-line on Game.exe