• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Main Menu

WLAN

Started by jigsaw, February 27, 2004, 03:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jigsaw

Got a few lucent orinoco gold cards pcmcia off ebay... Damn 2k prof hates the drivers or software or wep or something... it wont connect to net, yet it shows connection and status to my AP... anyone every experience this problem... gr... frustrating...

mynameistmp

Is WEP enabled on your AP ?

What kind of AP is it ?Can you ping the AP ? Is the AP directly connected to the internet ?
"This idea is so odd, it is hard to know where to begin in challenging it." - Martin Barker, British scholar

jigsaw

Sony AP... WEP 128. AP goes to modem/route combo unit for dsl.

mynameistmp

Try disabling WEP on the AP if that's possible. If so, see if that works.
it wont connect to net, yet it shows connection and status to my AP

Also, can you ping the AP from the node? The idea with this question is to isolate wether the problem is node -> AP, or AP -> WAN.
"This idea is so odd, it is hard to know where to begin in challenging it." - Martin Barker, British scholar

Hostile

I still don't understand why the hell you're buying a 802.11b wlan pcmcia card when your laptop has integrated 802.11b/g card in it, which would be better.
- Hostile is sexy.

Hitmen

Integrated cards are usually garbage, and have really short range.

Hostile

- Hostile is sexy.

mynameistmp

I still don't understand why the hell you're buying a 802.11b wlan pcmcia card when your laptop has integrated 802.11b/g card in it, which would be better.

The Orinoco Gold cards have a built in adapter for an antenna. The range on the cards is ~same afaik, but it is easy to increase an Orinoco card's range considerably via antenna because of the adapter. I've had to pull a LinkSys card apart in order to connect a 'pigtail' because I was too lazy to mail order an Orinoco card.

Also, there has been good cross-platform developement of drivers for Lucent Tech. Orinoco cards.

muert0

To lazy for slackware.

jigsaw

Actually the laptop I am referring to is my IBM Thinkpad T22 that dual boots 2k prof and gentoo... Orinoco cards work very well with *nix systems. Tis why I have it.

mynameistmp

Also, there has been good cross-platform developement of drivers for Lucent Tech. Orinoco cards.

muert0

Saw this: http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/weblog/view/wlg/448

thought it went with this... sorta.
To lazy for slackware.