• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

AP Computer Science Courses

Started by Hazard, February 24, 2004, 04:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hazard

This is strange...

First off, I'm pissed that my school has decided to disconinue the AP Computer Science course but that isn't my point. My point is, isn't it strange how the majority of schools have switched over their programming for AP Comp Sci to Java programming rather than C, C#, and C++? Has anybody else run into this in their classes?

"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." --John Wayne

Kp

Yes.  Java has became the new Pascal. :P
[19:20:23] (BotNet) <[vL]Kp> Any idiot can make a bot with CSB, and many do!

Hazard

But should it be that way? Will Java soon overtake the C languages as the programming language of choice?

K

Quote from: Hazard on February 24, 2004, 04:33 PM
This is strange...

First off, I'm pissed that my school has decided to disconinue the AP Computer Science course but that isn't my point. My point is, isn't it strange how the majority of schools have switched over their programming for AP Comp Sci to Java programming rather than C, C#, and C++? Has anybody else run into this in their classes?

They've switched over because the AP board changed it.  Sure, they could continue teaching in c++ at the class level, but why do that when the exam is going to be in java?  I was lucky enough to take the class last year when it was still taught in c++.

Adron

Quote from: Hazard on February 24, 2004, 04:40 PM
But should it be that way? Will Java soon overtake the C languages as the programming language of choice?

No.

Just like Pascal isn't the programming language of choice. It's just something that makes them feel good.

dxoigmn

Quote from: K on February 24, 2004, 04:40 PM
I was lucky enough to take the class last year when it was still taught in c++.

Same here, except 2 years ago.  The only problem, a lot of my college CS courses are in java (except for 1 class so far that was in swindle). But, it really isn't that hard to understand java.

iago

I have to admit that since I've been programming Java a lot, going back to C is difficult.  Java takes care of so much, like hashtables, networking stuff, file i/o, etc., that when I go back to C and have to write everything myself it's a real pain.
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Banana fanna fo fanna

Same here. I've always wanted to "be a man" and make my language C++, but I really can't find a use for where it would be best for what I'm doing.

Raven

I had a semester and a half of AP Comp Sci back in HS. From what I heard, this year the College Board switched the AB exam from C++ to Java, and so all courses that prepare you to take the exam, consequently, must switch their curriculum to Java as well. I believe the A exam has been in Java since last year. I don't know if it's that amazing of an idea, since as far as I know, most college's introductory Comp Sci courses are still being taught in C and C++. I guess the CB assumed that if someone learned Java, they'd have no trouble really understanding C++.

j0k3r

Even up here in Canada, the last year programming course (for highschool) is Java.
QuoteAnyone attempting to generate random numbers by deterministic means is, of course, living in a state of sin
John Vo

MrRaza

Not nessarily, at my old one, it was Visual Basic and some language I can't remember(created by someone from university of toronto) and at my new highschool its C++ and Java.

edit: Horrible Grammar and Spelling.

Hazard

So what do you all think of the switch? Good or bad?

Thing

Change is EVIL >:D

I can't believe they are changing From C to Java!  They should have never, ever, ever changed curriculum.  They should still be teaching COBOL and FORTRAN like when I was in college.

As far as I'm concerned, C is just the third letter of our alphabet and Java is what I drink in the morning, afternoon and night.  WTF happened to my Visual COBOL book?
That sucking sound you hear is my bandwidth.

Hostile

- Hostile is sexy.

j0k3r

MrRaza, the language is called Turing and was developed by students at UFT in the 80's. Visual Basic WAS the course, but it was booted out or something.

My guess is that they moved from C to Java for object oriented learning?

Cobol is useful, wish I was forced to learn it instead of turing.
QuoteAnyone attempting to generate random numbers by deterministic means is, of course, living in a state of sin
John Vo