• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Visual Basic . NET

Started by bRoKeN, February 21, 2004, 07:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bRoKeN

Okay, well i was going to start by learning Visual Basic and i went to the book store and baught a book but it seems to teach Visual Basic . NET. I just wanted to know is VB and VB.NEt = same thing or like if i learn VB.NET i can work with VB also? And what's the diffecrence.

hismajesty

They are very different in my opinion.

bRoKeN

I was told its more advanced, For advanced programming.

Dark-Feanor

Visual Basic .NET is basically a more object oriented version of Visual Basic 6. If you know one of them, you could probably program in the other without really having to learn anything new.
- Feanor[xL]
clan exile
Firebot
iago: "caps lock is like cruise control for cool"

MyndFyre

Quote from: DaRk-FeAnOr on February 23, 2004, 11:28 AM
Visual Basic .NET is basically a more object oriented version of Visual Basic 6. If you know one of them, you could probably program in the other without really having to learn anything new.

This is correct.  As a matter of fact, it's quite easy to learn VB 6 once knowing a .NET language (I went from JavaScript to JScript.NET to C# to VB .NET to VB 6).
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

Adron

Quote from: Myndfyre on February 23, 2004, 05:25 PM
This is correct.  As a matter of fact, it's quite easy to learn VB 6 once knowing a .NET language (I went from JavaScript to JScript.NET to C# to VB .NET to VB 6).

Are you generally backwards? :P

K

Quote from: DaRk-FeAnOr on February 23, 2004, 11:28 AM

I will stick to the stance that going from VB6 to a .NET is more difficult.  You are more likely to use legacy functions from the Microsoft.VisualBasic namespace than the more object oriented System.* namespaces - for example Open / Print / Close for file IO instead of using a System.IO.Filestream, InStr() instead of String.IndexOf(), Mid$() instead of String.Substring().  You get the picture.  VB.NET lets you do a lot of things not standard to the CLR in the name of compatability (globule modules ...)

Sure, youre code will work, but it's kind of like writing C code in C++.  

Grok

In my VB.NET and ASP.NET projects, I still write code with VB6 keywords, methods, properties.  It will take more time and experience to write VB.NET the way it was intended.

Adron

Quote from: K on February 23, 2004, 05:39 PM

I use strcpy, memcpy & co a lot in C++ code actually. And besides, Mid is shorter than Substring and InStr is shorter than IndexOf, so they're more efficient to use.

K

Quote from: Grok on February 23, 2004, 05:48 PM
In my VB.NET and ASP.NET projects, I still write code with VB6 keywords, methods, properties.  It will take more time and experience to write VB.NET the way it was intended.

Exactly what I'm saying.

Quote from: Adron on February 23, 2004, 06:06 PM

I use strcpy, memcpy & co a lot in C++ code actually. And besides, Mid is shorter than Substring and InStr is shorter than IndexOf, so they're more efficient to use.

Ok, so maybe my analogy was flawed  ::)
Do you write code like this in C++ projects?
void rbtree_init(Node* root);
void rbtree_destroy(Node* root);
void rbtree_fixup(Node* x);
Node* rbtree_find(int key);
void rbtree_insert(int key);

Adron

Hmm, no, I'd probably use a class for that particular case. But I do use printf type functions in C++. Another example of using "legacy" functions...

quasi-modo

VB6 and vb.net are very similar the majority of the time syntax wise. But vb.net offers a butt load more power then vb6 when you get into the meat of it. I went striaght from vb6 to vb.net with ease. I have been using asp.net for about a year and find vb.net much easier to use then vb6. When you say vb.net is much more object oritned then vb6 it is an under statement, vb.net is completly object oriented, where as it would almost be a joke to call vb6 the least bit object oriented.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:04:19) nick is a turtle: Right now im not paying the power bill though
(00:04:33) nick is a turtle: if i had to pay the electric bill
(00:04:47) nick is a turtle: id hibernate when i go to class
(00:04:57) nick is a turtle: or at least when i go to sleep
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

Dark-Feanor

I will stick to the stance that going from VB6 to a .NET is more difficult.  
Not if you already understand OO programming.
- Feanor[xL]
clan exile
Firebot
iago: "caps lock is like cruise control for cool"

quasi-modo

Quote from: DaRk-FeAnOr on February 24, 2004, 07:31 PM
I will stick to the stance that going from VB6 to a .NET is more difficult.  
Not if you already understand OO programming.
yes you can do everything in vb.net you can do in vb6 with the same or greater ease. You do not even need to fully understand OO to use vb.net, but eventually it will come in handy.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:04:19) nick is a turtle: Right now im not paying the power bill though
(00:04:33) nick is a turtle: if i had to pay the electric bill
(00:04:47) nick is a turtle: id hibernate when i go to class
(00:04:57) nick is a turtle: or at least when i go to sleep
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

MyndFyre

Quote from: Adron on February 23, 2004, 05:33 PM

Are you generally backwards? :P

hehe, no.  I learned JavaScript first because it is a client-side web language.  Then I went to JScript.NET when I got into server-side junk.  C# was being touted by Microsoft for the .NET platform so I picked that up, and once I had that, VB .NET was a breeze.  Having been looking at code samples, all the other VB-centric stuff (such as vbCrLf and vbRed, all that fun junk) was easy to pick up for VB6.  :p
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.