• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Languge war thread, spawned from topic "BnetD"

Started by WiLD, January 10, 2004, 10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banana fanna fo fanna

VB is the worst language to do that in.

Edit (Yoni): Split topic (original), changed split thread's title.

UserLoser.

Quote from: St0rm.iD on January 10, 2004, 10:35 PM

just because you can't get it working in python, it's ok :P

Banana fanna fo fanna

Quote from: UserLoser. on January 10, 2004, 10:36 PM

Been there done that in VB, Java, and Python. Have to say that VB was the most painful.

Atom

Actually VB is quite appropriate. Unless you want to run it in a linux enviroment, which is the trend is serious server apps. VB being a rapid application dev, will speed up the process of coding, and you dont need super fast ASM code (like you would in a data crunching 3d game), your code will generate a lot faster then the data will be sent over your data.
I am back! aINC is dead, ThinkTank PRO is alive.
VB, JAVA, ASM, C, its all yummy to me.

Grok

Quote from: St0rm.iD on January 10, 2004, 10:56 PM

Been there done that in VB, Java, and Python. Have to say that VB was the most painful.

If it's all the same to you, could we do without the predictable St0rm.iD anti-VB reply to so many posts?  It's going on how many years now?  Everyone knows your opinion.  Btw, just because you couldn't get something working in VB doesn't mean it can't be done easily.  You had limited to no training, experience, or knowledge on which to base the assessment.  But I'm not looking for an argument, just asking you to stop the tired chanting.

Banana fanna fo fanna

Quote from: Grok on February 10, 2004, 12:09 AM
Quote from: St0rm.iD on January 10, 2004, 10:56 PM

If it's all the same to you, could we do without the predictable St0rm.iD anti-VB reply to so many posts?  It's going on how many years now?  Everyone knows your opinion.  Btw, just because you couldn't get something working in VB doesn't mean it can't be done easily.  You had limited to no training, experience, or knowledge on which to base the assessment.  But I'm not looking for an argument, just asking you to stop the tired chanting.

fooey. :(

taylorjonl

Quote from: Atom on February 09, 2004, 04:25 PMActually VB is quite appropriate. Unless you want to run it in a linux enviroment, which is the trend is serious server apps. VB being a rapid application dev, will speed up the process of coding, and you dont need super fast ASM code (like you would in a data crunching 3d game), your code will generate a lot faster then the data will be sent over your data.

I would say that VB is appropriate for any GUI code but for actual functionality I prefer C/C++.  I hate VB as it is Microsoft exclusive and would rather use a Java frontend.  I still haven't learn VB and don't think I ever will as I have alternatives.

Grok

Quote from: taylorjonl on February 16, 2004, 01:24 PM
Quote from: Atom on February 09, 2004, 04:25 PMActually VB is quite appropriate. Unless you want to run it in a linux enviroment, which is the trend is serious server apps. VB being a rapid application dev, will speed up the process of coding, and you dont need super fast ASM code (like you would in a data crunching 3d game), your code will generate a lot faster then the data will be sent over your data.

I would say that VB is appropriate for any GUI code but for actual functionality I prefer C/C++.  I hate VB as it is Microsoft exclusive and would rather use a Java frontend.  I still haven't learn VB and don't think I ever will as I have alternatives.

Why don't you hate Java for being Sun exclusive?

Mesiah / haiseM

Quote from: Grok on February 16, 2004, 04:44 PM
Quote from: taylorjonl on February 16, 2004, 01:24 PM

+1 for excellent comment.
]HighBrow Innovations
Coming soon...

AIM Online Status: 

Kp

QuoteI would say that VB is appropriate for any GUI code but for actual functionality I prefer C/C++.  I hate VB as it is Microsoft exclusive and would rather use a Java frontend.  I still haven't learn VB and don't think I ever will as I have alternatives.

VB is (afaik) exclusive to Windows OSes.  Java works on Windows, Unixs, and probably even some embedded devices.  Thus, Java is more portable.

[edit: quote tags were damaged somehow.  Fixed now.]
[19:20:23] (BotNet) <[vL]Kp> Any idiot can make a bot with CSB, and many do!

Tuberload

Quote from: Kp on February 16, 2004, 05:42 PM
QuoteI would say that VB is appropriate for any GUI code but for actual functionality I prefer C/C++.  I hate VB as it is Microsoft exclusive and would rather use a Java frontend.  I still haven't learn VB and don't think I ever will as I have alternatives.

VB is (afaik) exclusive to Windows OSes.  Java works on Windows, Unixs, and probably even some embedded devices.  Thus, Java is more portable.

+1 for an excellent comment. ;D
Quote"Pray not for lighter burdens, but for stronger backs." -- Teddy Roosevelt
"Your forefathers have given you freedom, so good luck, see you around, hope you make it" -- Unknown

Grok

Quote from: Kp on February 16, 2004, 05:42 PM

The comparison was not about portability.  He said it was Microsoft exclusive.  I pointed out that Java is Sun exclusive, and drew a direct parallel opposed to his argument.

Don't suppose I'll get +1's from Java people for stating such an obvious truth though.

Banana fanna fo fanna

i gave you a +1 :)

Kp

Quote from: Grok on February 16, 2004, 09:38 PMThe comparison was not about portability.  He said it was Microsoft exclusive.  I pointed out that Java is Sun exclusive, and drew a direct parallel opposed to his argument.
Don't suppose I'll get +1's from Java people for stating such an obvious truth though.

Then what was it about?  I fail to see how Java is "Sun exclusive" (in large part because I don't know what you mean by such a construct).  I also don't know what was meant by "Microsoft exclusive" if we aren't discussing portability, but you're not the one that stated that one.
[19:20:23] (BotNet) <[vL]Kp> Any idiot can make a bot with CSB, and many do!

Tuberload

To me the word fits Microsoft perfectly. To use any of their products, you are almost always required to run another product made by them, Windows. I think Bill Gates is a brilliant man, who knows how to make money. I personally have no problem with Microsoft, but they try and dominate every aspect of the computer industry and that bugs me.

The only way I see Java as being Sun exclusive is because they have taken Microsoft to court over J++. Once again Microsoft tried to dominate a growing technology. Sun also allows access to their technology on numerous operating systems, so I fail to see how they are excluding anyone.
Quote"Pray not for lighter burdens, but for stronger backs." -- Teddy Roosevelt
"Your forefathers have given you freedom, so good luck, see you around, hope you make it" -- Unknown