Previous topic - Next topic

Lenny

Quote from: o.OV on February 20, 2004, 10:26 PM
to get 0ms lag you don't actualy
wait for the server to send 0x25
you send it before and you don't respond
to their 0x25 packet

That is only upon logon...

Having any ping value on battle.net has no bearing on the 0x25 battle.net sends you in channel
The Bovine Revolution
Something unimportant

Live Battle.net:

WARNING: The preceding message may have contained content unsuitable for young children.

Mesiah / haiseM

That is correct, no matter what, your going to receive 0x25, and the only time it affects your ping is during login, if you ignore it, -1ms, if you delay it, you get a larger ping, if you send it before they do, 0ms, but once your logged in, you will receive it reguardless, and it will not affect anything.
]HighBrow Innovations
Coming soon...

AIM Online Status: 

Arta

If I may interject:

SID_NULL (0x00) has absolutely nothing to do with your latency. You can send it or not, Battle.net does not process it. Battle.net will send it to you regardless of whether you send it or don't. It's good practice to send it, because the game clients do.

SID_PING (0x25) is what effects your latency. I don't really care about getting 0/-1 ping, but if you do, I'm pretty sure that it works like this:

To get -1 ping, simply ignore all incoming ping messages from Battle.net;
To get 0 ping, send a ping message before you receive Battle.net's initial ping message. Most people accomplish this by sending SID_PING along with their initial logon packet, be it SID_AUTH_INFO (0x50), SID_CLIENTID (0x05), or SID_CLIENTID2 (0x1E).

The normal, best practice approach to handling ping requests is to immediately reply to any ping message you receive, with the value contained in the message. It's worth noting that this may not necessarily be a DWORD.

As far as I am aware, how you deal with the initial ping has absolutely no bearing on whether or not Battle.net sends you regular ping messages after logging on. It definitely has no bearing on whether or not you receive SID_NULL, as they are two completely different concepts - SID_NULL is designed to detect network failures, SID_PING is used to detect network latency.

Edit:

SID_PING and SID_NULL also have nothing at all to do with the chat plug, which indicates lack of UDP connectivity. By sending SID_UDPPINGRESPONSE (0x14), you inform Battle.net that you have received its UDP pings, and thus do not get the plug. You should send this value when you receive the UDP message PKT_CONNTEST2 (0x09) from Battle.net, but since the UDP ping value has thus far always been 'bnet', most people just send SID_UDPPINGRESPONSE along with their CD key message (whichever one it may be), or similar.

Kp

Quote from: Arta[vL] on February 21, 2004, 04:11 AM

I'm not certain, but I believe you only need to ignore the first one.  Also, if you ignore all ping requests and your client doesn't otherwise generate activity, the server may decide that your client process has become hung and will terminate your connection.

As far as I am aware, how you deal with the initial ping has absolutely no bearing on whether or not Battle.net sends you regular ping messages after logging on. It definitely has no bearing on whether or not you receive SID_NULL, as they are two completely different concepts - SID_NULL is designed to detect network failures, SID_PING is used to detect network latency.

Yes, but as above, failure to generate any outbound traffic (responding to SID_PING counts as outbound traffic) will eventually get you dropped.

SID_PING and SID_NULL also have nothing at all to do with the chat plug, which indicates lack of UDP connectivity.

Agreed.  Since the real clients use the same location onscreen to display latency/UDP nonsupport, many people seem to associate the two.  However, as you say, there is no technical relation.
[19:20:23] (BotNet) <[vL]Kp> Any idiot can make a bot with CSB, and many do!

o.OV

Quote from: LoRd[nK] on February 20, 2004, 10:58 PM
battle.net does not send me 0x25 when I am in channel with 0ms lag
Ofcourse it does.

I have done my homework Lenny.
You've received an "F" on todays assignment, however you can makeup this assignment and turn it in no later than 2/23/04 for partial credit.

You obviously haven't tested my scenario yet buddy and you aren't my teacher.
When I said I have done my homework..
It is an expression similar to "I have done my research/tests".
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts. - Albert Einstein

o.OV

Quote from: Lenny on February 20, 2004, 11:14 PM
Quote from: o.OV on February 20, 2004, 10:26 PM
to get 0ms lag you don't actualy
wait for the server to send 0x25
you send it before and you don't respond
to their 0x25 packet

That is only upon logon...

Having any ping value on battle.net has no bearing on the 0x25 battle.net sends you in channel

I didn't say 0x25 in channel had anything to do with ping value. However if you send it once with the 0x1E/0x50 then you reply to bnet's 0x25 then you will get a normal lag bar. You misunderstood me.

o.OV

Quote from: MesiaH on February 21, 2004, 02:43 AM
That is correct, no matter what, your going to receive 0x25, and the only time it affects your ping is during login, if you ignore it, -1ms, if you delay it, you get a larger ping, if you send it before they do, 0ms, but once your logged in, you will receive it reguardless, and it will not affect anything.

Wrong.
I wouldn't be arguing this point if I didn't know what I was talking about.
Here is the log of the PacketIDs that come and go. TimeStamp included.

3:13:18 PM  < ChrW$(1)
3:13:18 PM  < 1E
3:13:18 PM  < 6
3:13:19 PM  < 25
3:13:19 PM  > 5
3:13:19 PM  > 1D
3:13:19 PM  > 25
3:13:19 PM  > 6
3:13:19 PM  < 7
3:13:19 PM  > 7
3:13:19 PM  < 2D
3:13:20 PM  > 2D
3:13:20 PM  < 36
3:13:20 PM  > 36
3:13:20 PM  < 29
3:13:20 PM  > 29
3:13:20 PM  < 14
3:13:20 PM  < A
3:13:20 PM  < C
3:13:21 PM  > A
3:13:21 PM  > F
3:16:14 PM  > 0
3:18:16 PM  > 0
3:20:17 PM  > 0
3:22:18 PM  > 0
3:24:19 PM  > 0
3:26:35 PM  > 0
3:28:21 PM  > 0

Eric

Quote from: o.OV on February 21, 2004, 03:29 PM
Quote from: MesiaH on February 21, 2004, 02:43 AM

Wrong.
I wouldn't be arguing this point if I didn't know what I was talking about.
Here is the log of the PacketIDs that come and go. TimeStamp included.

3:13:18 PM  < ChrW$(1)
3:13:18 PM  < 1E
3:13:18 PM  < 6
3:13:19 PM  < 25
3:13:19 PM  > 5
3:13:19 PM  > 1D
3:13:19 PM  > 25
3:13:19 PM  > 6
3:13:19 PM  < 7
3:13:19 PM  > 7
3:13:19 PM  < 2D
3:13:20 PM  > 2D
3:13:20 PM  < 36
3:13:20 PM  > 36
3:13:20 PM  < 29
3:13:20 PM  > 29
3:13:20 PM  < 14
3:13:20 PM  < A
3:13:20 PM  < C
3:13:21 PM  > A
3:16:14 PM  > 0
3:18:16 PM  > 0
3:20:17 PM  > 0
3:22:18 PM  > 0
3:24:19 PM  > 0
3:26:35 PM  > 0
3:28:21 PM  > 0

< and > appear to be backwards.

And as arta said, and what everyone here, except you, seem to agree apon:
If I may interject:

SID_NULL (0x00) has absolutely nothing to do with your latency. You can send it or not, Battle.net does not process it. Battle.net will send it to you regardless of whether you send it or don't. It's good practice to send it, because the game clients do.

SID_PING (0x25) is what effects your latency. I don't really care about getting 0/-1 ping, but if you do, I'm pretty sure that it works like this:

To get 0 ping, send a ping message before you receive Battle.net's initial ping message. Most people accomplish this by sending SID_PING along with their initial logon packet, be it SID_AUTH_INFO (0x50), SID_CLIENTID (0x05), or SID_CLIENTID2 (0x1E).

The normal, best practice approach to handling ping requests is to immediately reply to any ping message you receive, with the value contained in the message. It's worth noting that this may not necessarily be a DWORD.

Edit:

SID_PING and SID_NULL also have nothing at all to do with the chat plug, which indicates lack of UDP connectivity. By sending SID_UDPPINGRESPONSE (0x14), you inform Battle.net that you have received its UDP pings, and thus do not get the plug. You should send this value when you receive the UDP message PKT_CONNTEST2 (0x09) from Battle.net, but since the UDP ping value has thus far always been 'bnet', most people just send SID_UDPPINGRESPONSE along with their CD key message (whichever one it may be), or similar.

o.OV

Lord[nK]..
I agree with Arta for most of what he has stated.
And as he himself has stated..

As far as I am aware, how you deal with the initial ping has absolutely no bearing on whether or not Battle.net sends you regular ping messages after logging on.

Even he does not entirely know.. As he said before.. He doesn't care for -1/0ms lag so I don't blame him for not knowing.

And the "<" and ">" aren't backwards.
"<" is going out as in "<< cout"
and vice versa.

Lenny

battle.net does not send me 0x25
when I am in channel with 0ms lag
unless I send them 0x25 while in channel

Perhaps, you misunderstood me, I meant what Mesiah said....

Regardless of any ping you have, while in channel battle.net will still send you 0x25, whether you want to respond to it or not is your choice...

I believe we have all tested this....
The Bovine Revolution
Something unimportant

Live Battle.net:

WARNING: The preceding message may have contained content unsuitable for young children.

o.OV

Quote from: Kp on February 21, 2004, 11:44 AM

Yes, but as above, failure to generate any outbound traffic (responding to SID_PING counts as outbound traffic) will eventually get you dropped.

I disagree.
I have remained Logged In for over 45 minutes without sending ANYTHING to battle.net.
All I have recieved are 0x00 every 2 minutes or so.
Failure to reply to 0x25 will get the user disconnected from battle.net.(InChannel)

o.OV

Quote from: Lenny on February 21, 2004, 04:07 PM
battle.net does not send me 0x25
when I am in channel with 0ms lag
unless I send them 0x25 while in channel

Perhaps, you misunderstood me, I meant what Mesiah said....

Regardless of any ping you have, while in channel battle.net will still send you 0x25, whether you want to respond to it or not is your choice...

I believe we have all tested this....

All tested with the same scenario I have laid down before you?
I doubt that.
I have posted my PacketID log as you can see.
I argue this point with confidence because I have my test results to back me up.

Eric

Quote from: o.OV on February 21, 2004, 03:54 PM
Lord[nK]..

As far as I am aware, how you deal with the initial ping has absolutely no bearing on whether or not Battle.net sends you regular ping messages after logging on.

Even he does not entirely know.. As he said before.. He doesn't care for -1/0ms lag so I don't blame him for not knowing.

and vice versa.

> Outgoing
< Incomming

o.OV

Quote from: LoRd[nK] on February 21, 2004, 04:20 PM
Quote from: o.OV on February 21, 2004, 03:54 PM
Lord[nK]..

and vice versa.

> Outgoing
< Incomming

.. Ok, Lord[nK].
YOU WIN ~ !  :-*

Lenny

Quote from: o.OV on February 21, 2004, 04:11 PM
Quote from: Kp on February 21, 2004, 11:44 AM

I disagree.
I have remained Logged In for over 45 minutes without sending ANYTHING to battle.net.
All I have recieved are 0x00 every 2 minutes or so.
Failure to reply to 0x25 will get the user disconnected from battle.net.(InChannel)

"I have remained Logged In for over 45 minutes without sending ANYTHING to battle.net."

is inconsistent with

"Failure to reply to 0x25 will get the user disconnected from battle.net.(InChannel)"

How did you stay on for 45 minutes?
The Bovine Revolution
Something unimportant

Live Battle.net:

|