• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Bots in Java - info please!

Started by After-Death, January 22, 2004, 07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kp

Quote from: hismajesty on January 23, 2004, 01:52 PM
Correct, Microsoft said C# was made up of (I'm doing this from memory so the percents will be a bit off possibly) 60% Java, 15% C++, 10% Visual Basic, and 15% new.

Syntax error: operator new with no associated type.  At least at one time, that syntax error would send VC into a loop until it hit 100 errors (in total), then reported encountering 102 errors. :)
[19:20:23] (BotNet) <[vL]Kp> Any idiot can make a bot with CSB, and many do!

R.a.B.B.i.T

C# (as described by Newby) is a VB GUI interface editor with C++ code syntax.

Tuberload

Quote from: R.a.B.B.i.T on January 23, 2004, 06:15 PM

I dont recommend listening to people with the name newby because they are giving you bad descriptions...
Quote"Pray not for lighter burdens, but for stronger backs." -- Teddy Roosevelt
"Your forefathers have given you freedom, so good luck, see you around, hope you make it" -- Unknown

R.a.B.B.i.T

Quote from: Tuberload on January 23, 2004, 10:32 PM
Quote from: R.a.B.B.i.T on January 23, 2004, 06:15 PM

I dont recommend listening to people with the name newby because they are giving you bad descriptions...

HAH!  His aim name is Newby1337.  He's trying to confuse me!!

Twin_One1

Microsoft has J++ which is a visual studio 6.0 thing, J# which is a .NET thing and comes with visual studio 2003 .net.  Then there is C# which is what I perfer, although J# is the same thing as java and has the sun packages (although i'm not sure what version) and it also has the .net packages.

Tuberload

Quote from: Twin_One1 on January 26, 2004, 01:32 PM
Microsoft has J++ which is a visual studio 6.0 thing, J# which is a .NET thing and comes with visual studio 2003 .net.  Then there is C# which is what I perfer, although J# is the same thing as java and has the sun packages (although i'm not sure what version) and it also has the .net packages.

J++/J# is not just like Java, and if you want to use Java I dont recommend using either of the two. I do not remember exact differences, I just remember Microsoft's Java compilers are somewhat of a joke when it comes to Java standards.
"Your forefathers have given you freedom, so good luck, see you around, hope you make it" -- Unknown

Twin_One1

You can take Java programs open it up in visual studio .net and compile it and have a working J# program.

Kp

Quote from: Twin_One1 on January 26, 2004, 02:08 PM
You can take Java programs open it up in visual studio .net and compile it and have a working J# program.

but are you guaranteed that a program which compiles with no warnings/errors in J# will compile on a true to-spec Java compiler?  If the IDE allows Microsoft extensions without warning, you may very easily be writing code that isn't truly Java.
[19:20:23] (BotNet) <[vL]Kp> Any idiot can make a bot with CSB, and many do!

Twin_One1

QuoteMicrosoft's newly released Visual J# .Net Beta 1 -- a full clean-room Java implementation -- offers Microsoft Visual J++ (VJ++) developers a migration path to .Net for their VJ++ projects. While J# successfully converts a range of compiled Java code into .Net binaries, its JDK support remains frozen at Java 1.1.4 and the .Net binaries work only on Windows.

http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-11-2001/jw-1121-iw-jsharp.html

Twin_One1

I don't think there are major differences between Java and J# except for the .NET packages and its missing a couple of Sun's packages.

Whoops, I meant to click modify :(

Tuberload

QuoteMicrosoft's newly released Visual J# .Net Beta 1 -- a full clean-room Java implementation -- offers Microsoft Visual J++ (VJ++) developers a migration path to .Net for their VJ++ projects. While J# successfully converts a range of compiled Java code into .Net binaries, its JDK support remains frozen at Java 1.1.4 and the .Net binaries work only on Windows. (900 words; November 21, 2001)
To me the summary of that article says it all...

Edit: This is just an opinion, but I will never use J# because I see it as just another way for Microsoft to try and control everything.

Edit: Did you even read that article before posting?

Twin_One1

I read it a while ago, then I just now went and found it again so I wouldn't be basing my statement on memory.

MyndFyre

Quote from: Twin_One1 on January 26, 2004, 02:08 PM

Not quite...

IIRC, Microsoft reached the settlement with Sun that they could only distribute Microsoft versions of the JDK up to 1.1.4.  Because of this, you can't directly migrate apps from JDK to J# (for instance, I tried to compile Joscar, and there were about 40 classes missing from support because 1.1.4 is so old).  

While you would like to think that those are the only three languages that gave to C#, here's what I can figure:

RAD support from Visual Basic, along with properties and events (also related to COM and IDL).
Pointer support, operator overloading, and general syntax (such as ; to end a statement) from C/C++.
Class structure from Java.
Structured Exception Handling based on Ada (IIRC).
Value types, enumerations, and delegates are new.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

Tuberload

Quote from: Twin_One1 on January 27, 2004, 10:27 AM
I read it a while ago, then I just now went and found it again so I wouldn't be basing my statement on memory.

Ok, because that whole article basicaly explains why J# is not Java...

|