• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Why Battle.net?

Started by iago, January 02, 2004, 04:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iago

Battle.net has stability issues occasionally, poor moderation capabilities, has a closed protocol, and some other issues, so why do we even use it for chatting?

IRC, on the other hand, has good moderation, many different servers, open protocol/servers, and supports other things like secure SSL encryption easily.  So why do we feel the need to use battle.net to chat?
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Stealth

So that we're not broadcasting our IP addresses to people who shouldn't have them? *shrug*
- Stealth
Author of StealthBot

iago

Quote from: Stealth on January 02, 2004, 05:07 AM
So that we're not broadcasting our IP addresses to people who shouldn't have them? *shrug*

It only broadcasts your ip if the servers does it.  On the server I use, my ip is masked and it shows up as, "vL"

Naem

اگر بتوانید این را بهخوابید ، من را "پی ام" کنید

Raven

Battle.net is calmer than IRC. For our purposes, it suits us just fine.

iago

Quote from: Raven on January 02, 2004, 10:56 AM
Battle.net is calmer than IRC. For our purposes, it suits us just fine.

I don't see what you mean by calmer.  If you mean less traffic, then why not just use a private or, at least, a special server?  I use Slacktech's (thanks to tmp) and there's very little traffic there.

I'm still not seeing a good reason for choosing battle.net over irc :)

Skywing

I use Battle.net because I play Blizzard games and/or talk to people who play Blizzard games...

Raven

Quote from: Skywing on January 02, 2004, 01:59 PM
I use Battle.net because I play Blizzard games and/or talk to people who play Blizzard games...

That is, ofcourse, one of the more standard reasons. Please don't forget, we are a battle.net clan afterall. If you want to meet elsewhere with other people, that's easily your prerogative. :)

iago

I can't remember the last time I've seen or heard of anybody else in the clan playing a blizzard game, though!  I've been playing a little solo d2 lately, but that's aboot it..

Spht

Quote from: iago on January 02, 2004, 11:18 PM
I can't remember the last time I've seen or heard of anybody else in the clan playing a blizzard game, though!  I've been playing a little solo d2 lately, but that's aboot it..

Just got out of a game a Brood War. You probably don't know when I play a game because I don't broadcast it in the channel...

Hostile

Ok, one simple concept... There really isn't a point to use battle.net anymore in compared to IRC other then the fact that if vL hosted an IRC server it would come under constant attacks by certain dumbasses. You have to understand, we don't have to maintain battle.net either. I'm not saying it would be hard to maintain an IRC server but you're forgetting one thing. Despite that all of rarely if ever play battle.net games, it is where we all met. There will come a time where we will have to move somewhere else (because theres a good chance WoW will be the beginning of the end of battle.net), but until we have to its really pointless to move. Not to mention trying to get everyone to agree on common substitute. Once again the only reason behind battle.net being mutually agreed apon is because thats where we all met. Try getting Kp on MSN or Skywing on IRC. Its not just them, because I wouldn't use things like ICQ or whatever else for that matter. I've tried suggesting to Skywing about something like BotNet channels but it's too soon to tell right now.

PS: Well, I think for like Me/Grok/Adron theres a mutual feeling that we have played far too much Starcraft to continue anymore (specially considering we played almost every night in January/February) so yeah, we're either on a break from that or totally finished with it. Diablo 2, well despite 1.10 patch I played that game way too fucking much. I can't even stand to be on it, it is sheer boredom. Heres a little surprise though, I've been playing Warcraft 3 lately, even started to make a toy for it and well even when World of Warcraft comes out there is like a 99% chance I am getting it if it turns out to be a good game. (Its looking very very good at the moment)
- Hostile is sexy.

wut

Quote from: Hostile on January 03, 2004, 02:42 AM
Ok, one simple concept... There really isn't a point to use battle.net anymore in compared to IRC other then the fact that if vL hosted an IRC server it would come under constant attacks by certain dumbasses. You have to understand, we don't have to maintain battle.net either. I'm not saying it would be hard to maintain an IRC server but you're forgetting one thing. Despite that all of rarely if ever play battle.net games, it is where we all met. There will come a time where we will have to move somewhere else (because theres a good chance WoW will be the beginning of the end of battle.net), but until we have to its really pointless to move. Not to mention trying to get everyone to agree on common substitute. Once again the only reason behind battle.net being mutually agreed apon is because thats where we all met. Try getting Kp on MSN or Skywing on IRC. Its not just them, because I wouldn't use things like ICQ or whatever else for that matter. I've tried suggesting to Skywing about something like BotNet channels but it's too soon to tell right now.

PS: Well, I think for like Me/Grok/Adron theres a mutual feeling that we have played far too much Starcraft to continue anymore (specially considering we played almost every night in January/February) so yeah, we're either on a break from that or totally finished with it. Diablo 2, well despite 1.10 patch I played that game way too fucking much. I can't even stand to be on it, it is sheer boredom. Heres a little surprise though, I've been playing Warcraft 3 lately, even started to make a toy for it and well even when World of Warcraft comes out there is like a 99% chance I am getting it if it turns out to be a good game. (Its looking very very good at the moment)

You wouldn't need to host your own net to use IRC -- you could use one of the larger, public networks that already have dumbasses packeting them :-P.  Look at Fatal-Error for example, they have a channel on Freenode; a very good tech-oriented network with an open source ircd, IPv6 support, and a whole bunch of other shit that battle.net doesn't have.

Hostile

Well that kind of sacrifices one of the reasons to move to a different server then, we won't have control over it.
- Hostile is sexy.

iago

You still have a lot more control than battle.net.  For example, there's a mode where nobody in the channel can talk except for people designated by ops.  There's a way to lock a channel so nobody else can join.  That's only to name a couple.

Hostile

Yes, There are ways to keep channels hidden, moderated, and trust me, I could be wrong but I almost certain you're just going through a phase. Yes, it theoretically could be better but hosting the server wise would be more of a pain, and the clients down right suck. mIRC is ok, but then most of the good offshoot scripts for mIRC end up never getting updated. (IRCap, ircN, Invision) and like I said, the whole endevor would be pointless atm. Don't think I'm disregarding it as a phase, but know that I went through it too. I thought IRC was great, but something about it gets terribly boring after time. :P Perhaps since its only purpose is for chatting or bad experiences, who knows.

PS: Ok, he finally updated Invision I guess I was wrong on that one. :p hehe since you're most likely using mIRC, try Invision. It uses a modified script with mIRC executable. http://invision.lebyte.com
- Hostile is sexy.