• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

USB Harddrives

Started by iago, December 29, 2003, 08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iago

Has anybody used a USB harddrive of a decent size?  I was looking at a 120GB that uses USB 2.0.  It looks nice, and it would be great for what I do (ie, have it hooked up to my laptop at home, but pull it off for school/work).  I just worry about the speed, though, will I be able to play games/stuff like that off it, or is it too slow?

Anybody ever used one of these before?
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Hostile

Well... Possibly. You should be able to play most games considering the main amount of slowness will come while loading, and USB 2.0 is hardly slow but I would recommend those things mainly for storage.
- Hostile is sexy.

hismajesty

Weren't you just bragging about how you didn't need one of these due to your schools network? :P

iago

Me?  Hardly.  I've been wanting a new hard drive forever.  Right now I use my other computer's drive to store all my crap on, but that's slow and non-portable.

A usb drive would be great, though, since I'm also going to get a dvd burner, and this would make it better to burn crap for my friends, or between my laptop/desktop/etc.

hismajesty

Ah, I was thinking you were going to be using it for transfering files, etc.. Which you said you'd rather do with your network/ftp. Sorry.  ;)

iago

That too, but outside my LAN it's a slow transfer.  But I still don't remember saying that :P

hismajesty

Ugh, maybe I'll look for the quote later.

iago

Ok, I bought one:
$300 base
- $40 instant rebate = $260
- 10% because the box was open
+ 14% tax = $266
- $80 mail-in rebate = $186.

<edit> exact number was $186.75.  Damn I'm good at guessing! :)

I was happy with that :)

It's 120gb, 7200rpm, usb2.0.  So far, it's great to use.  For anybody with a laptop, I would highly recommend usb!

Stealth

14% tax? Crazy Britons.
- Stealth
Author of StealthBot

iago

Quote from: Stealth on January 12, 2004, 08:51 PM
14% tax? Crazy Britons.

Well, our Prime Minister was voted in based on the fact that he would eliminate GST (7%).  He was quoted promising it at least 4 times. Here we are 14 years later, and he just retired, and he recently said he never promised anything like "dat"

Newby

120 gig?

Damn, that's insane.
- Newby

Quote[17:32:45] * xar sets mode: -oooooooooo algorithm ban chris cipher newby stdio TehUser tnarongi|away vursed warz
[17:32:54] * xar sets mode: +o newby
[17:32:58] <xar> new rule
[17:33:02] <xar> me and newby rule all

Quote<TehUser> Man, I can't get Xorg to work properly.  This sucks.
<torque> you should probably kill yourself
<TehUser> I think I will.  Thanks, torque.

Stealth

Quote from: iago on January 12, 2004, 09:06 PM
Quote from: Stealth on January 12, 2004, 08:51 PM
14% tax? Crazy Britons.

Well, our Prime Minister was voted in based on the fact that he would eliminate GST (7%).  He was quoted promising it at least 4 times. Here we are 14 years later, and he just retired, and he recently said he never promised anything like "dat"

Do you have to pay sales tax on Internet purchases as well? We get a break over here -- very few (if any) states require you to pay sales tax on internet purchases unless the company you're buying from is based within your state.
- Stealth
Author of StealthBot

Arta

Adron

muert0

9% here
and 120gb isnt that big they got 500gb externals
To lazy for slackware.