• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Memory Tweak ?

Started by o.OV, December 25, 2003, 09:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

o.OV

If this really does help a bot work faster then maybe it could ban those proxy loaded floodbots.

I could find nothing on google about DCM.
If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts. - Albert Einstein

Dark-Feanor

QuoteI heard about a memory tweak somehow related to the abreviation "DCM".
If this really does help a bot work faster then maybe it could ban those proxy loaded floodbots.
Does anyone know how DCM works and how to use it?

Less RAM usage does not mean that your program will run faster. It is generally the opposite. More RAM usage = Faster. I have never heard about DCM, but the best way to try and ban floodbots would be to make your algorithms subtler/faster/better. There have been many posts on the forum about help in banning floodbots. Check out this one if you have any other questions about it:
http://forum.valhallalegends.com/phpbbs/index.php?board=17;action=display;threadid=3231;start=msg25644#msg25644
- Feanor[xL]
clan exile
Firebot
iago: "caps lock is like cruise control for cool"

Yoni

What is this thread about?

Quote from: DaRk-FeAnOr on December 25, 2003, 10:22 AM
Less RAM usage does not mean that your program will run faster. It is generally the opposite. More RAM usage = Faster.

It is true that in computer science, there are sometimes algorithms which sacrifice memory to gain speed. But saying this is a general rule is bad. If a program is meant to be fast, its speed will probably be directly proportional to the expertise of the programmer rather than to its memory usage, which may vary as a side effect.

o.OV

Less RAM usage does not mean that your program will run faster. It is generally the opposite. More RAM usage = Faster. I have never heard about DCM, but the best way to try and ban floodbots would be to make your algorithms subtler/faster/better. There have been many posts on the forum about help in banning floodbots. Check out this one if you have any other questions about it:
http://forum.valhallalegends.com/phpbbs/index.php?board=17;action=display;threadid=3231;start=msg25644#msg25644

Thanks for the link. I have read that post before but failed to notice Stealth's mention of memory priority.

QuoteStealth: I have also introduced code to change the RAM priority of the program during EFP to High, which should help on slower or low-memory machines. Normal priority is restored once the feature is turned off.

Skywing

Quote from: o.OV on December 25, 2003, 10:43 AM

Thanks for the link. I have read that post before but failed to notice Stealth's mention of memory priority.

QuoteStealth: I have also introduced code to change the RAM priority of the program during EFP to High, which should help on slower or low-memory machines. Normal priority is restored once the feature is turned off.
I have no idea what "RAM priority" is.

Maddox

Quote from: Skywing on December 25, 2003, 11:01 AM
Quote from: o.OV on December 25, 2003, 10:43 AM

I have no idea what "RAM priority" is.

I think he means process priority.
asdf.

Dark-Feanor

Quote from: Yoni on December 25, 2003, 10:34 AM
What is this thread about?

Less RAM usage does not mean that your program will run faster. It is generally the opposite. More RAM usage = Faster.

It is true that in computer science, there are sometimes algorithms which sacrifice memory to gain speed. But saying this is a general rule is bad. If a program is meant to be fast, its speed will probably be directly proportional to the expertise of the programmer rather than to its memory usage, which may vary as a side effect.
I was just trying to clear up "o.OV"'s misconception that when your program uses less RAM, the program runs faster, which is obviously not the case.
- Feanor[xL]
clan exile
Firebot
iago: "caps lock is like cruise control for cool"

Skywing

Quote from: Maddox on December 25, 2003, 11:10 AM
I think he means process priority.
Ah.  That doesn't sound like such a great idea.  For instance, lots of CD-burning programs set themselves at high priority to help protect against a buffer underrun; I wouldn't want a B.net bot coastering my CDs.  In any case, this introduces a fairly nasty DoS problem if some flaw in the bot makes it possible to remotely induce lots of cpu usage; consider that the shell runs at normal priority, by default, which would make it possible for the bot to make the shell unresponsive.  If cpu usage is such a problem, it would probably be best to fix the slow algorithm.

hismajesty

Quote from: o.OV on December 25, 2003, 09:33 AM

If a floodbot was connected via a proxy, wouldn't it be slower as opposed to a floodbot connecting directly to battle.net?

[edit]Typo[/edit]

Skywing

Quote from: hismajesty on December 25, 2003, 03:27 PM
Quote from: o.OV on December 25, 2003, 09:33 AM

If a floodbot was connected via a proxy, wouldn't it be slower as opposed to a floodbot connecting directly to battle.net?

[edit]Typo[/edit]

As has been stated so many times now, it is possible to construct a flood attack that does makes response times irrelevant with respect to stopping it.

o.OV

thanks for your input on this matter.
flooders on proxies are a bit slower.
i heard from some such as Gangz that they were able to ban a small number that were loaded on proxies.
i would try it for myself but i am on a 56k modem.
though one ban may not be something to rejoice about.
the flooder that is flooding may be reusing a single key over and over.
its worth a shot.

iago

Quote from: o.OV on December 26, 2003, 07:07 AM
thanks for your input on this matter.
flooders on proxies are a bit slower.
i heard from some such as Gangz that they were able to ban a small number that were loaded on proxies.
i would try it for myself but i am on a 56k modem.
though one ban may not be something to rejoice about.
the flooder that is flooding may be reusing a single key over and over.
its worth a shot.

Although this has been said again and again, if it can be banned then it's a poorly written floodbot.  A good floodbot can join/leave a channel in exactly 0 seconds, or that's the way it seems to the client.
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*