• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

This is new computer I am getting for Christmas (Definitaly)

Started by Mitosis, December 10, 2003, 04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mitosis

Considering when I customised it the guy said it would be like 300 dollars cheeper I still got a great deal. Anyway if my parents dont change the price on me then I am getting this for sure!

Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Chassis Cicero Black ATX Tower
MotherBoard 865GA MotherBoard
CPU Intel Pentium 4 HT 3.0 GHz 800FSB
Memory  512 DDR (2x256m) (I might upgrade it higher.)
Hard-Drive 120GB, ATA100, 7200RPM 8 meg cache
CD-ROM/DVD DVD +/- RW Black
Floppy Drive 1.44 MB Floppy Drive Black
Video Card ATI Radeon 9200 or 9600 128MB DDR
Network Card Integreted 10/100 Network Intel Pro
Sound Card Integreted Audio Realtek ALC650
Speakers Speakers
Keyboard MS Black Multimedia Keyboard English
Mouse USB Optical Mouse
Productivity Suite Microsoft Works 7.0 English
System Warrenty 1 Year Limited Desktop Warrenty
Moniter 15"Flat Screen
All that for only 1500, my friends tell me thats a great deal and it is I guess. I just cant damn wait for Christmas. Comments are welcome ;)

Banana fanna fo fanna

You want a CRT if you want to do gaming. You also want XP Pro.

Here's my specs for my xmas machine, if you're interested:

- P4 3.0 ghz
- Unsure about graphics card, any suggestions? I'm thinking a plain Radeon 9800.
- 1 GB dual channel ddr ram (2x512)
- 36GB 10,000 RPM Raptor drive
- 120GB 7200 RPM HDD #2
- SB Audigy Gamer w/ 3 piece speakers
- Samsung 19" flat CRT
- First bay: DVD-ROM, second bay DVD+/- RW
- Onboard gigabit ethernet, USB, firewire
- ASUSp4C800-E Deluxe 800mhz FSB motherboard

And a killer black case that changes colors :)

Mitosis

Quote from: St0rm.iD on December 10, 2003, 04:14 PM

And a killer black case that changes colors :)
Chameleon? How much is your machine going to be worth anyway? Oh and my case is going to be so 1337 and seksi. Ill modify this with the url of my case in a bit.
Okay these are like the cases I will order.

and

Ill will probably get the spiderman one cause' its the best!! ;)
Oh Trust this is Canadian dollars and the moniter is like 300 but yeah I dont think it should add 700 lol.

hismajesty

Quote from: Mitosis on December 10, 2003, 04:06 PM
Considering when I customised it the guy said it would be like 300 dollars cheeper I still got a great deal. Anyway if my parents dont change the price on me then I am getting this for sure!

Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Chassis Cicero Black ATX Tower
MotherBoard 865GA MotherBoard
CPU Intel Pentium 4 HT 3.0 GHz 800FSB
Memory  512 DDR (2x256m) (I might upgrade it higher.)
Hard-Drive 120GB, ATA100, 7200RPM 8 meg cache
CD-ROM/DVD DVD +/- RW Black
Floppy Drive 1.44 MB Floppy Drive Black
Video Card ATI Radeon 9200 or 9600 128MB DDR
Network Card Integreted 10/100 Network Intel Pro
Sound Card Integreted Audio Realtek ALC650
Speakers Speakers
Keyboard MS Black Multimedia Keyboard English
Mouse USB Optical Mouse
Productivity Suite Microsoft Works 7.0 English
System Warrenty 1 Year Limited Desktop Warrenty
Moniter 15"Flat Screen
All that for only 1500, my friends tell me thats a great deal and it is I guess. I just cant damn wait for Christmas. Comments are welcome ;)

Your speakers own man :P. Also, your friends are wrong..in August when I got my new computer I got the excact same for the most part (except switch p4 to AMD and exclude the monitor) for $836 USD. If you take out my nifty case/cathodes/fan control it would of been about $720. I doubt that a monitor and a keyboard added ~700 dollars to the price.

Edit: Forgot to include that I built mine; thus, lowering the price.

Stealth

I'd drop the DVDRW drive to a CDRW or one of those newfangled combo DVD/CD/CDRW drives unless you're absolutely going to HAVE to burn CDs -- it's a huge chunk of change that could be better used. I'd get at LEAST a 9600 Pro, if you can a 9800 of some sort.

Also, Microsoft Works 7.0 English is a horrible piece of crap. You're better off with OpenOffice -- get rid of this sub-standard, useless Microsoft piece of trash.

Finally, I'm not a fan of flat screen LCD monitors -- they're usually about twice the price of comparable flat-glass CRT monitors, and they can be blurry (although this is improving). In fact, for the price of your average 15" LCD monitor you can easily get a top-notch Samsung or ViewSonic flat-glass CRT monitor.

Have a look at the system I'm setting up for a friend of mine: (Note that he doesn't need speakers, so they're not included.)

YaBB forums don't like tabs, so here's the textfile with the system.

We'll be overclocking the Athlon and getting up to at least about the equivalent of an XP 3000+ -- and all this for less than you're paying for that system.

CRT yes, but XP Pro no -- it's a waste of the additional $80 the Pro license costs, unless you're getting it illegally. Home works absolutely fine.
- Stealth
Author of StealthBot

MyndFyre

Yes, in America (and everywhere else they speak English), we spell the word "definitely" - from the root word "finite."  Remembering that it is from "finite" is the easiest way to remember that it is spelled "definitely," not "definately."

This actually isn't meant to flame you....  It's a common misspelling, and you just got to be the one who receives my post bitching about it.  :)  Cheers
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

Grok

You should let our knowledgable visitors help you build a system.  Can you definitely spend $1500 on it?  If so, I'm sure the guys here can post you links to specific components to buy and come up with something great.

Your details are a bit incomplete and the values of those items vary widely based on what is really purchased.

For example, an "ATI 9200 or 9600 128" price can be any one of many different cards, ranging in price from $75 to $190.

Your motherboard, "865GA", just indicates the Intel chipset, but not the motherboard manufacturer and their model number, so we're unable to look at the features, company, and their support policies/website are important.

Hmm, practically none of your items list brand and model .. for $1500 I can build you two systems with those specs with crappy components.

And screw Microsoft Works.  That's pure junk.  Put $0 next to it so you don't think you're getting something good.

15" monitor? CRT or LCD?  A generic 15" monitor is cheapo.

Post way more detail on your components if you want any help.

Mitosis

Quote from: Grok on December 10, 2003, 04:51 PM
You should let our knowledgable visitors help you build a system.  Can you definitely spend $1500 on it?  If so, I'm sure the guys here can post you links to specific components to buy and come up with something great.

Your details are a bit incomplete and the values of those items vary widely based on what is really purchased.

Your motherboard, "865GA", just indicates the Intel chipset, but not the motherboard manufacturer and their model number, so we're unable to look at the features, company, and their support policies/website are important.

FRIG SORRY PRESSED POST WHEN I DIDNT FINISH MY REPLY

Um my parents said they will go as high as maybe 1600 or a bit over.
Since you say I didnt give any detial this is what I was reading.
http://www.wolfness.com/upload/Illgetmoredetials.jpg
Oh I will also look for the models and makes right now.
Pic was too big on here sorry bout that. Here is the link again of what I was reading my specs from.
http://www.wolfness.com/upload/Illgetmoredetials.jpg

hismajesty

I agree with Grok, convince your parents to allow you to build the computer. If they'll stick to the $1500 price tag you could easily build 1 1/2 :P - 2 computers with that.

Grok

Ah well that's going to be a generic system, you can count on it.  Talk to your parents and get the answer whether they're willing to purchase the parts on the internet and have you build the system, or have it built for you.  That answer is important on what your options become.

Mitosis

Quote from: Grok on December 10, 2003, 05:06 PM
Ah well that's going to be a generic system, you can count on it.  Talk to your parents and get the answer whether they're willing to purchase the parts on the internet and have you build the system, or have it built for you.  That answer is important on what your options become.
I can do pretty much anything accept purchase over the internet my parents just told me. I could tell someone what I want to do with a computer and they could build it for me, or I can tell the parts that I want. Doesnt really matter to them, only purchasing over the internet I cant do. My dad and I have also been looking for computer stores in Barrie but Future Shop was fine my mom said so thats why we went with that.

Grok

OK, but get your quote updated to include both BRAND and MODEL # for each and every component on the list.  You should ask them to itemize the list too.

I just build a great system for a coworker with $800.  Bought him an ASUS Motherboard P4P800, Pentium IV 2.4 Ghz, 512MB Kingston DDR 533 memory, Western Digital 120GB 8MB HDD, ATI Radeon 9200 SE (he's not a gamer, just programmer)....and so on.

You're going to get generic junky parts with that system unless you make them list the components by brand and model.

Hostile

Ok, granted I get huge discounts for saying this very thing in the average day, this one is free. You really need to get a system that comes with a full warrenty kid. You don't know how to take care of a system, so I recommend the onsite labor, and possibly accidental damage protection and stuff from a vendor like dell/gateway/compaq. You'll also get a much better system, considering the one you're telling us about right now is a total peice of crap, well its worth about $750 thanks to the cpu being about 300 and the dvd burner being atleast 100. :p Now refresh my memory are you canadian and is this canadian money or USD?
- Hostile is sexy.

Mitosis

K Grok Im going back there this weekend so Ill get them to print it all out for me (hopefully they can). Hostile, yes I am Canadian thats why its so expensive to you guys I guess. My friend Mike and I have been searching the company sites to see there prices on the stuff and if its cheaper we go to Future shop and tell them and they drop the price down and give us a 10 percent difference.

Hostile

Ok, First YaBB sucks, i tried responding and my session timed out??!

Second: Stealth you're forgetting one thing, that Mitosis is a newbie in every which way someone is categorized as a newbie. Mitosis despite the fact you're canadian and that system probably only costs about $1200 here, thats still way too expensive. Your system sucks and on top of it you sound like you're going to build it yourself (which you obviously aren't and should not do so, its stupid for you to do this. Your parents are stupid as well if they think its a better thing to buy offline, you'll get a better system from one of those providers like I said assuming they will sell to you and offer service in your area.

Quote from: Grok on December 10, 2003, 05:19 PM
You're going to get generic junky parts with that system unless you make them list the components by brand and model.

Ya, and to top it off Intel doesn't even make a 865GA chipset :p and their 865GV has integrated graphics and is a peice of shit.

Quote from: Stealth on December 10, 2003, 04:46 PM
I'd drop the DVDRW drive to a CDRW or one of those newfangled combo DVD/CD/CDRW drives unless you're absolutely going to HAVE to burn CDs -- it's a huge chunk of change that could be better used. I'd get at LEAST a 9600 Pro, if you can a 9800 of some sort.

Also, Microsoft Works 7.0 English is a horrible piece of crap. You're better off with OpenOffice -- get rid of this sub-standard, useless Microsoft piece of trash.

Finally, I'm not a fan of flat screen LCD monitors -- they're usually about twice the price of comparable flat-glass CRT monitors, and they can be blurry (although this is improving). In fact, for the price of your average 15" LCD monitor you can easily get a top-notch Samsung or ViewSonic flat-glass CRT monitor.

Have a look at the system I'm setting up for a friend of mine: (Note that he doesn't need speakers, so they're not included.)

YaBB forums don't like tabs, so here's the textfile with the system.

We'll be overclocking the Athlon and getting up to at least about the equivalent of an XP 3000+ -- and all this for less than you're paying for that system.

CRT yes, but XP Pro no -- it's a waste of the additional $80 the Pro license costs, unless you're getting it illegally. Home works absolutely fine.

XP Pro is the only acceptable form of Windows XP, however paying $80 for a bundled version loaded with all the bloat like MS Works is not worth getting, better off gettin seperate full version somewhere.

I just bought a Dell 2001FP 20.1" LCD monitor with 1600x1200 resolution, 16ms responce time, 600:1 contrast ratio, DVI and alot of nice features like PIP. It holds very true to its specs and is about the best LCD monitor I've ever seen (its very cheap too, only like 700 for me and 750 USD for the public atm on their site.) There is a good review for it here: http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1918 and I am using it for gaming. I see minimal blurring when moving rapidly and the only time i saw somewhat unacceptable blurring was twice during the 3DMark03 benchmark demo and surprising saw almost no blurring when I popped in 2 Fast 2 Furious dvd.
- Hostile is sexy.