• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Newbie needs guidance

Started by DarkWater, December 05, 2003, 10:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarkWater

Hello everyone.

I am a south jerseyian living in NC with my wife and kids. I'm 32 years old and have only taken one computer class in my life! So... there is a bit of catch-up work for me to do. I work on electronics supporting an industrial facility. I am currently taking an A+ and OS class.  Could use a good glossary and some help with command line.

MoNksBaNe_Agahnim

if by command line you mean MS Dos commands (I haven't slept for 3 days bare with me lol) go to run/cmd/enter then type help -- lots of options there, also you can google for it, Net help is for networking abilities, i.e. net send - net view -- ect... and such, if you are talkling about dos commands, be a little more specific and I'll see if i can be of any help...i have a feeling you needed to know NONE of this haha

edit: Oh ya and welcome :)

edit #2: Don't mess with deltree :P bad bad function! hehehe -- think it is disabled in XP but even then don't do it hehe deltree allows you to delete the specified drive or the windows tree lol

Adron

Quote from: MoNksBaNe_Agahnim on December 05, 2003, 11:05 PM
edit #2: Don't mess with deltree :P bad bad function! hehehe -- think it is disabled in XP but even then don't do it hehe deltree allows you to delete the specified drive or the windows tree lol

The function you're looking for in XP is "rd /S /Q c:\windows".

The function you're looking for in linux is "rm -rf /"

Skywing

Quote from: Adron on December 06, 2003, 06:01 AM
Quote from: MoNksBaNe_Agahnim on December 05, 2003, 11:05 PM

Wouldn't that be %SystemRoot%? You don't have to install to c:\windows...

Adron

Quote from: Skywing on December 06, 2003, 10:28 AM
Quote from: Adron on December 06, 2003, 06:01 AM

Wouldn't that be %SystemRoot%? You don't have to install to c:\windows...

True, but I tried to keep the example simple - don't want to confuse a newbie with environment variables when the point is the name of the function.