• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

C++ tutorial & reference websites

Started by MoNksBaNe_Agahnim, December 05, 2003, 07:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoNksBaNe_Agahnim

Its gets annoying reading people asking about books and tutorials on "x" language all the time when it has already been posted 20 times before it. I realize people are looking for ways to learn and need help and I am all for that, so why not gather the top 5 books/web sites that are recommended for each language and make a sticky.

C++

1) www.gametutorials.com
2) www.cplusplus.com
3) www.msdn.com
4) Dietel and Deitel, C++ How to program 4th ed. - never used but supposed to be the best book out there.
5) Sam's Teach Yourself "x" Language in 21 days/24 hours - I didn't like too much but they have a vast selection to choose from and it was a decent starting point

thetempest

C++

http://cplus.about.com/library/blcplustut.htm

Maddox

asdf.

Raven

Dyndrilliac

www.gamehackers.net has several books for c++ available for download for free in .pdf(Acrobat Reader) format. These books include but are not limited to Sam's Teach Yourself C++ in 21 Days and C++ Programming For Dummies.
Quote from: Edsger W. DijkstraIt is practically impossible to teach good programming to students that have had a prior exposure to BASIC; as potential programmers they are mentally mutilated beyond hope of regeneration.

MoNksBaNe_Agahnim

If you are to get a book I would strongly recommend getting a Dietel and Dietel book, all of them have an ant on them so its easy to find by browsing. I have bought/checked out/borrowed many C++ books including C++ for dummies and a couple of Sam's and I find them not very good, Dietel and Dietel is by far the best series out there for new learners and they have stuff in their books for advanced programmers such as parsing XML, networking, GUI, and much more.

NeBuR

I recommend the book "Industrial Strength C++", by Mats Henricson and Erik Nyquist, Prentice Hall PTR, 1997, ISBN 0-13-120965-5. It's based in the previous work "Programming in C++, Rules and Recommendations", by the same authors, 1990-92, Ellemtel Telecommunication Systems Laboratories.

These two are not C++ tutorials or reference guides, but a programming well-defined model, which includes all aspects of programming in C++ (including, but not limited to, style). Although I'm not agree with all it's contents, I've found them very interesting. They two are avalaible in the Internet, but now I don't remember where. However, I think that finding them will be an easy task.

DVX

don't get teach yourself c++ in 21 days :P

Adron

Quote from: DVX on February 21, 2004, 06:48 PM
don't get teach yourself c++ in 21 days :P

Seemed really good when I read it.

Hitmen

Maybe he means don't get teach yourself VC++ in 21 days?  :-\

iago

That's probably a common name; an author/publisher would be helpful.
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

j0k3r

C++ For Dummies by Stephen Randy Davis is what I have, it works, I'd recommend it.
QuoteAnyone attempting to generate random numbers by deterministic means is, of course, living in a state of sin
John Vo

muert0

Just for reference the books on .pdf at http://www.gamehackers.com/ are down for right now. I'll post when they are back up.
Also thanks for the references.
To lazy for slackware.