• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Question with Apache and DNS

Started by Crypticflare, December 03, 2003, 08:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crypticflare

I setup apache on one of my older computers, I'd just like to mess around with it and such, I have a domain name thats not propregated to any nameserver right now. Is it possible to direct the non-used domain name to my current computer thats running apache? If so, I've been looking through the apache manual and I'm having a troublesome time where to edit the changes for it at. Oh I am setup behind a router, which could lead to difficulties I suppose.. Still any suggestions would be nice.

Banana fanna fo fanna

You need to set it up with whoever you registered it with. If you're running your own nameserver, you have to configure BIND with it, which is usually setting up a .hosts file in your namedb.

I don't know if this is what you're asking, but are you trying to set up a virtual host?

Crypticflare

Well what I'd like to do is just have my domain: www.cfdesigns.org point to the apache thats installed my computer, since I don't have any host space to use.. I'm doing this for pure learning. But I'm really sorta clueless on what my next step would be.

Banana fanna fo fanna

Whoever you bought the domain from will have some kind of control panel. See if you can point the domain at your machine's IP address. It'll take a while for it to take effect.

j0k3r

Quote from: St0rm.iD on December 04, 2003, 02:27 PM
Whoever you bought the domain from will have some kind of control panel. See if you can point the domain at your machine's IP address. It'll take a while for it to take effect.
About 24 - 48 hours for the registrar to take update.
QuoteAnyone attempting to generate random numbers by deterministic means is, of course, living in a state of sin
John Vo

CrAzY

Quote from: j0k3r on December 04, 2003, 08:44 PM
About 24 - 48 hours for the registrar to take update.

Normally a bit more than that, I'd say 48-96 Hours...
CrAzY

j0k3r

I've never had it take over 2 days, I'm registered with godaddy.com.
QuoteAnyone attempting to generate random numbers by deterministic means is, of course, living in a state of sin
John Vo