• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

New Computer!

Started by AssassinRC, November 28, 2003, 09:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AssassinRC

Well, a fairly standard post to re-introduce myself into the vL forum community. I'm Assassin~{RC}, member/leader of the Royal Council on USEast. I've been hard at work lately, so with some of the extra cash I have set aside I decided I was interested in purchasing a new computer. I know the owners of the company DirectPC.ca (Beetek) on the west coast in Richmond, BC (That's in Canada for you slow ones out there.), and they gave me a great deal on a high end gaming system.

- 3.2ghz Pentium 4 (800mhz FSB / With HT Tech)
- ASUS P4C800 Deluxe Motherboard
- 1024mb Corsair DDR 3700
- 250gb 7200 rpm Serial ATA
- Radeon 9800 XT 256mb
- Sound Blaster Audigy ZS2

Those are the base specs I suppose. In terms of case, cooling, etc:

- 21 Inch Thermaltake Highest Xaser III V2000A Super Tower (Aluminium)
- Thermaltake Volcano 12
- Thermaltake Hardcano 12
- Thermaltake 480W Power Supply
- 2 Neon Light Sound Sensitive ( Blue )
- 1 Case fan (w/color led)

- No monitor / keyboard / etc as I already have them.

Total price: 1800$ CDN

Keep in mind i've never been much of a gaming enthusiast, or much for wanting to add tacky things like "neon lights" inside my cases. However, they said they'd add both of them for free because i'm a premium customer so I didn't object. This computer isn't much of an upgrade over the one I have now (A 2.66ghz P4 / 120gb / Radeon 9700 Pro), but my little brother has struggled gaming on a machine that was running at 800 mhz, so i'm giving him my old computer as a Christmas present. Aren't I just sweet! Hehe.

warz

Quote from: AssassinRC on November 28, 2003, 09:48 AM[08:18:42] <Assassin~{RC}> No thanks wewt, no need to answer someone at a level as low as yours. Later.

Extremely sweet. </sarcasm-due-to-bad-first-impressions>

AssassinRC

Momo, what was I supposed to think of someone using an account I didn't recognize pestering me through whispers with a dnd message telling me to answer in the channel? Come now, that's so... Assassin 1997'ish.  ;)

wut

So what if the guy has a condescending disposition -- he's giving his brother a 2.6 P4!

AssassinRC

Yeah... he's a good kid. He doesn't ask for much around the house, and he's a 25 hours a day kind of a gamer. It just seems like the nice thing to do! The car accident I was in a while back has brought me a lot closer to my family.

Skywing

This 2.4GHz P4/64MB GeForce Go 4200/512MB RAM laptop hasn't really had any problems running anything.  You upgrade too often :p

AssassinRC

I know it totally must come across that way, but I was stumped what to get the kid for christmas and a little upgrade every now and then doesn't hurt right?  :P

j0k3r

Quote from: AssassinRC on November 28, 2003, 10:46 AM
I know it totally must come across that way, but I was stumped what to get the kid for christmas and a little upgrade every now and then doesn't hurt right?  :P
Quote from: AssassinRC on November 28, 2003, 09:48 AM
Total price: 1800$ CDN
Mind sparing a *little money for a *little upgrade?
QuoteAnyone attempting to generate random numbers by deterministic means is, of course, living in a state of sin
John Vo

AssassinRC

Ugh, this must have across really bad eh Joker? I don't think I mentioned it was a *little money anywhere did I? And technically it's still only a little upgrade. I'd probably be willing to lend you some if Christmas wasn't so near.

j0k3r

Quote from: AssassinRC on November 28, 2003, 11:27 AM
Ugh, this must have across really bad eh Joker? I don't think I mentioned it was a *little money anywhere did I? And technically it's still only a little upgrade. I'd probably be willing to lend you some if Christmas wasn't so near.
Haha, little upgrade associates with little money.

Naw, I'm set with my computer, I don't think I need to upgrade anything.
QuoteAnyone attempting to generate random numbers by deterministic means is, of course, living in a state of sin
John Vo

AssassinRC

Hehe fair enough. What do you have for a system anyways? :)

j0k3r

Intel Pentium IV 2.39 GHZ
533FSB
512 DDR (333MHZ)
40 Gig Maxtor 7200RPM (*2)
DVD/CDRW Combo
350Watt powersupply
Radeon 9700 Pro

Works great for me.
John Vo

iago

Hell I'm using 1.33ghz, 512 DDR, shared video.  And it works great!  
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

AssassinRC

Doh, maybe i'm just too picky. I'm just totally an eye candy sort of guy! I love having things loo the way companies intend them too, or better. It's somewhat the same reason I was a bigger fan of playing PSX on a computer using an emulator rather than on the console itself. The textures and graphics aren't even comparable they look so damn good! I am somewhat kicking my ass though, the day after I put my order in I learned Alienware began catering to CDN customers, and i've been dying to have one of those odd looking bugged out towers sitting on my desk.  ;D

Hostile

- 1024mb Corsair DDR 3700

DDR PC3700 Ram is quite pointless unless you plan on overclocking your FSB. PC3200 is as fast as the 800Mhz FSB on the P4 will go otherwise, perhaps would have been better off getting the Low Latency Corsair DDR modules.

A 2.66ghz P4 / 120gb / Radeon 9700 Pro

I'm running a 2.66Ghz P4 B cpu, 1 GB RDRam PC1066 ram, 30GB+120GB 7200rpm Ultra ATA hd, Audigy 2 ZS Platinum, Radeon 9700 Pro and a 21" FD Trinitron monitor (btw what monitor are you using?) anyways... I have yet to use the full potential of my system but I suppose it never hurts if you have the money. I'm currently already looking at getting a new system but for the sole purpose that my old comp before this one died and was my test system (developed software, evulation software, untrusted software) and I find it hard to live without which is my main motivation behind wanting a new system. (Buy new gaming system or possibly just a workstation, then use this one as test system. Finally, I'm not sure if it worth getting a new system now unless youre the type of person who only gets a new system when its needed. Granted theres always some new amazing technology right around the corner, but with new video card chipsets not far off and intels prescott cpus and the chipset that will come with that it's fairly wise to say that they are worth waiting for.

As far as alienware systems.... well screw those. They still use Intels 875P MB which is good but the Asus P4C800-E is much nicer, when Asus first released their 875P mb (the P4C800) it was perfect, oh yeah except for being cheap and not paying the extra $5 for intels patented CSA "direct to northbridge" gigabit ethernet chip and had a 3Com gigabit ethernet chip which went through the southbridge which already has a 1 gigabit (266 megabyte) per second max, which seemed like a cheap imitation for their highend reputation. So there for with intels CSA technology saved any ethernet traffic, which freed more southbridge bandwidth for SATA hds and soundcards/pvrs or whatever. Should also note the SATA hds already cant use full capacity of of their speed so its somewhat notable that its not always wise to think they are a -huge- improvement with the exception of cabling and their -potential-. Either way congradulations, I would not in a million years try to discourage you buying this due to the fact that is an awesome price and well basically all the other kids who are whining out of jelousy don't have a job and well whats the point in having a job when you're young and have as few responcibilities as you will in your life (besides maybe car/insurance payments and cloths or entertainment costs) if you can't blow most of it on the things you want.
- Hostile is sexy.