• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

In search of...

Started by UserLoser., November 26, 2003, 06:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UserLoser.

I believe it's an ASP/ASP.net interpreter?  Whatever the thing is called that translates the code in the actual page, back to the server and the server outputs sends it to the browsing user.  I need one that will work on Windows XP Home.  I had seliSoft's ActiveHTML, but that was only a trial and it costs money.  I'm using Abyss Web Server.

Skywing

Quote from: UserLoser. on November 26, 2003, 06:43 PM
I believe it's an ASP/ASP.net interpreter?  Whatever the thing is called that translates the code in the actual page, back to the server and the server outputs sends it to the browsing user.  I need one that will work on Windows XP Home.  I had seliSoft's ActiveHTML, but that was only a trial and it costs money.  I'm using Abyss Web Server.
This is exactly why you should get Windows XP Professional - among other things, it has IIS with ASP(.NET) support...

UserLoser.

I'm not to sure what IIS is, mind explaining?  Also, can it be downloaded (from ms?)/installed on to a XP Home system?

Skywing

Quote from: UserLoser. on November 26, 2003, 06:52 PM
I'm not to sure what IIS is, mind explaining?  Also, can it be downloaded (from ms?)/installed on to a XP Home system?
Microsoft's site provides information on IIS on Windows XP Professional.  I have no experience with trying to get it to work on Windows XP Home Edition.

Banana fanna fo fanna

IIS is Microsoft's crappy web server. Don't use it. Honestly.

UserLoser.

What would you suggest then?

MyndFyre

Actually, there's a way to install IIS 6 if you have any kind of WinXP Pro (e.g. the trial) CD on XP Home, let me see if I can dig it up somewhere at home.  You can also try Cassini Web Server, do a search at www.GotDotNet.com.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

Denial

yes get the newest iis the old ones 4.0 and such have easy exploits and you would soon be seeing cats all over your site.
Actus non facit reum nisi mens sit rea

Banana fanna fo fanna

Yes, Cassini is what you want.

UserLoser.

Well I searched for Cassini, i found it on Asp.net, but in the download you have to compile it... And it doesn't work for me, i guess i don't have the right compiler/whatever else is needed for it... Can someone compile the exe, dll, and upload it somewhere?

quasi-modo

cassini only accepts local requests so it is only going to work when you type http://localhost or http://yourlocalip etc.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:04:19) nick is a turtle: Right now im not paying the power bill though
(00:04:33) nick is a turtle: if i had to pay the electric bill
(00:04:47) nick is a turtle: id hibernate when i go to class
(00:04:57) nick is a turtle: or at least when i go to sleep
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

j0k3r

Quote from: peofeoknight on November 28, 2003, 02:36 AM
cassini only accepts local requests so it is only going to work when you type http://localhost or http://yourlocalip etc.
It's the same thing for Apache/PHPDEV, so I'll try to elaborate. Anything you want to run or have executed will probably have to go in a subfolder called 'www' (I'm assuming it's the similar to PHPDEV) in the folder where you start your program, but this is an assumption. When you open http://localhost it will probably look in that folder.
QuoteAnyone attempting to generate random numbers by deterministic means is, of course, living in a state of sin
John Vo

quasi-modo

I have used cassini. It is only going to work for testing purposes of a site but can't be used to host it. But about the folder thing, you can change the path but it recognizes that folder as a virtual directory. For example when I used it breifly for testing my pages before I had iis the folder was the same one I keep all of my work in. So if all of your files are in folder called "aspnet work" on your desktop, you would create a shorcut to cassini there and then go into properties and type in the path where it asks for the path.
WAR EAGLE!
Quote(00:04:08) zdv17: yeah i quit doing that stuff cause it jacked up the power bill too much
(00:08:50) zdv17: hibernating in class is cool.. esp. when you leave a drool puddle

Banana fanna fo fanna

What you'd do is hook up something like either a virtual directory, host, file type, or mod_rewrite rule in Apache to direct all ASP.NET requests to Cassini.

I forget exactly what it is. If it's important, I'll look it up for you.

quasi-modo

Heh, I can just let someone dl a copy of iis if they need it.
WAR EAGLE!