Previous topic - Next topic

Which do you prefer?

iostream
6 (46.2%)
stdio
7 (53.8%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Arta

Just wondered. I'm definitely a stdio man.

Eibro

I generally use streams, as they're easily extensible.
I use boost::format for anything that needs to be formatted.
Eibro of Yeti Lovers.

iago

I use both, depending on the situation.  But I try to stay consistant in a single project.

Overall, I use iostream more.  I like to stay modern, stick with C++ syntax, especially if I'm using classes.  I use new, iostream, fstream, etc.
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Moonshine

Whilst stdio still has its uses (I especially like the ease of use with the va_list style function parameters), I'll have to go with streams; for they're more extensible, and type-safe.

Adron

stdio is my thing. With it, power is at my fingertips.

iostream is nice for when you have projects with lots of classes that you want to be able to stream in and out.

wut

stdio, because I'm much more apt to use C (although I usually compile my code with g++ anyways because I like C++ type checking)

Eibro

Quote from: Moonshine on November 19, 2003, 05:28 PM
Whilst stdio still has its uses (I especially like the ease of use with the va_list style function parameters), I'll have to go with streams; for they're more extensible, and type-safe.

Quotestdio, because I'm much more apt to use C (although I usually compile my code with g++ anyways because I like C++ type checking)
Honestly, if you two haven't already, i'd check out boost::format. Typesafe, printf-like, and uses a typesafe method for variable length argument lists. Best option i've seen for formatting.
Eibro of Yeti Lovers.

Kp

Quote from: Eibro on November 19, 2003, 09:12 PMHonestly, if you two haven't already, i'd check out boost::format. Typesafe, printf-like, and uses a typesafe method for variable length argument lists. Best option i've seen for formatting.
But does it compile into as good an assembly as doing printf? :)  Also, there's the obvious issue that it won't work at all in C programs.
[19:20:23] (BotNet) <[vL]Kp> Any idiot can make a bot with CSB, and many do!

iago

Quote from: Kp on November 19, 2003, 09:38 PM
Quote from: Eibro on November 19, 2003, 09:12 PMHonestly, if you two haven't already, i'd check out boost::format. Typesafe, printf-like, and uses a typesafe method for variable length argument lists. Best option i've seen for formatting.
But does it compile into as good an assembly as doing printf? :)  Also, there's the obvious issue that it won't work at all in C programs.

I have no idea how printf works once it does the call, to parse in the stuff, but I DO know how cin/cout parses the stuff.  So for that reason, iostream!

I though kp would have more to say, I was waiting for his incisive, case-breaking argument! :(

Arta

As was I. I'd be interested in an explanation of the way printf compiles. I've often wondered how it is as fast as it is, with the amount of parsing/concatenation it must do.

Kp

Quote from: iago on November 20, 2003, 12:58 AM
Quote from: Kp on November 19, 2003, 09:38 PMBut does it compile into as good an assembly as doing printf? :)  Also, there's the obvious issue that it won't work at all in C programs.

I have no idea how printf works once it does the call, to parse in the stuff, but I DO know how cin/cout parses the stuff.  So for that reason, iostream!
If you've looked at the same asm that I have for how cin/cout work when you do a complex output (i.e. the following code sample), I'd be surprised to hear you say that.  From g++ 3.3.1:

// asm output of cout << "String" << (int) 0 << "hmm" << *argv;
// passed call names back through demangler to make it readable
movl    $LC0, 4(%esp)
movl    $std::cout, (%esp)
call    std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char> >& std::operator<< <std::char_traits<char> >(std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char> >&, char const*)
movl    $0, 4(%esp)
movl    %eax, (%esp)
call    std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char> >::operator<<(int)
movl    $LC1, 4(%esp)
movl    %eax, (%esp)
call    std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char> >& std::operator<< <std::char_traits<char> >(std::basic_ostream<char, std::char_traits<char> >&, char const*)
movl    %eax, %edx
movl    12(%ebp), %eax
movl    (%eax), %eax
movl    %eax, 4(%esp)
movl    %edx, (%esp)

// asm output from printf ("String%dhmm%s", 0, *argv);
movl    12(%ebp), %eax
movl    (%eax), %eax
movl    %eax, 8(%esp)
movl    $0, 4(%esp)
movl    $LC0, (%esp)
call    _printf

It's also worth noting that doing cout << "hmm" << "beh" will result in two calls, but that printf ("hmm"   "beh"); will not because the compiler can concatenate hmm and beh into a single string, which is then passed to printf.

Quote from: iago on November 20, 2003, 12:58 AMI though kp would have more to say, I was waiting for his incisive, case-breaking argument! :(
I was in a hurry.

Quote from: Arta[vL] on November 20, 2003, 07:46 AM
As was I. I'd be interested in an explanation of the way printf compiles. I've often wondered how it is as fast as it is, with the amount of parsing/concatenation it must do.
If you mean how the caller compiles, it's shown above.  I'd have to go find a copy of printf source to show you how the function itself is compiled.  My recollection is that it works so quickly because it can directly output any character which isn't a % sign, then go into a switch if it receives a %.  That switch handles the various cases (s, c, i, d, f, etc.) in different ways, then reverts to copying non-% data directly to output.  A further optimization would be to simply scan forward til a % (or nul) is found, output everything seen so far, then handle the character that stopped the search.  Repeat as necessary.

[Edit: moved the commentaries that label the code.  Quote tags don't like bold, apparently.  Also fixed issue where subscripting argv confuses the forum.  There needs to be some symbol other than brackets to indicate markups.]

iago

A function call isn't awfully slow, though, but I wonder how much slower iostream actually is?

Also note that in modern computers the speed of displaying text to the screen is hardly an issue.  

And you still haven't covered the part about how iostream is expandable :P

Adron

Quote from: Kp on November 20, 2003, 09:28 AM
It's also worth noting that doing cout << "hmm" << "beh" will result in two calls, but that printf ("hmm"   "beh"); will not because the compiler can concatenate hmm and beh into a single string, which is then passed to printf.

What about cout << "hmm" "beh" ?

Kp

Quote from: iago on November 20, 2003, 12:25 PM
A function call isn't awfully slow, though, but I wonder how much slower iostream actually is?

No, but  look at how much space the iostream call sequence took up vs. how much space the printf call took.

Quote from: iago on November 20, 2003, 12:25 PMAnd you still haven't covered the part about how iostream is expandable :P

Why would I? :)  I rarely deal with programs where it's appropriate for objects to go printing themselves.

Quote from: Adron on November 20, 2003, 01:11 PMWhat about cout << "hmm" "beh" ?

That should get concatenated by the compiler too.

iago

Quote from: Kp on November 20, 2003, 04:44 PM
Quote from: iago on November 20, 2003, 12:25 PM

No, but  look at how much space the iostream call sequence took up vs. how much space the printf call took.

So just becuase it makes longer assembly, it's worse?  That's hardly an argument, especially if each of those calls go to a short function and a single printf call goes to a large complicated function.