• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Ways the RIAA can cacth you downloading music

Started by SiMi, September 28, 2003, 10:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SiMi

What are some ways the RIAA can cacth you downloading music?
Can they cacth you downloading music on kazaa lite?
Can they cacth you downloading music on internet web pages?
Is there something that can hide your ip from the RIAA so they wont cacth you?

MrRaza

They way I believe the RIAA does it is by searching for random users and downloading music files off of there computer, then logging the username and ip. By doing this, the user has successfully "shared" music, illegally. Thus, having done this, RIAA can now sue the user.

Grok

Sounds more like the user can sue the RIAA for hacking and unlawful breaking and entry into their computer systems, theft of copyrighted material, and so forth.

MrRaza

SiMi

Quote from: Grok on September 28, 2003, 11:12 PM
Sounds more like the user can sue the RIAA for hacking and unlawful breaking and entry into their computer systems, theft of copyrighted material, and so forth.
Well not all of the time, lets say they are downloading our music from Kazaa (which is a P2P network). Then again the makers of Kazaa can sue the RIAA (I hope).

Banana fanna fo fanna

They can and they are.

Basically they search for files and record everyone's IP who reports the result back to them.

iago

Do what I do.. disable sharing and move to Canada! .. though, one or the other should work :)

Just don't let word of that get out :)
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Soul Taker

iago

Arki

QuoteWell not all of the time, lets say they are downloading our music from Kazaa (which is a P2P network). Then again the makers of Kazaa can sue the RIAA (I hope).

http://forum.valhallalegends.com/phpbbs/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=2835

Hazard

I believe the RIAA has a crystal ball they use to crack down on media pirates. The Onion supports my theory.

"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." --John Wayne

Yoni

No, noone can sue the RIAA. They're godly.

Hitmen

Quote from: Yoni on October 03, 2003, 11:28 AM
I don't see how the RIAA taking files you have specificly set aside to be shared is theft or unlawful breaking and entering. And they're stealing from who? Themselves? Last time I checked that's not illegal :-\

iago

Quote from: Hitmen on October 03, 2003, 01:55 PM
Quote from: Yoni on October 03, 2003, 11:28 AM
I don't see how the RIAA taking files you have specificly set aside to be shared is theft or unlawful breaking and entering. And they're stealing from who? Themselves? Last time I checked that's not illegal :-\

Read the article that was linked there.. that's not what they're suing for at all.

Hitmen

I was replying to what Grok/Yoni said. That article has nothing to do with what they or what I said.