• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Earth splash into Sun

Started by iago, September 10, 2003, 04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iago

There will always be people complaing; I vote we just detonate an explosion in such a way that it will send the earth hurdling into the sun.  That's the only way to shut everybody up.
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Adron

Quote from: iago on September 10, 2003, 04:51 PM
There will always be people complaing; I vote we just detonate an explosion in such a way that it will send the earth hurdling into the sun.  That's the only way to shut everybody up.

That's a great idea. It would finally end all suffering and bring peace to the world. Who wouldn't want that?

Grok

Quote from: Adron on September 10, 2003, 05:44 PM

That's a great idea. It would finally end all suffering and bring peace to the world. Who wouldn't want that?

Sounds good to me, let's start a new project.

I'm skeptical whether we can generate sufficient force to cause the Earth to fall into the Sun within our lifetimes.

Any of you physics/calculus people know the mass of the earth, it's angular velocity, trajectory, etc, and the formulae necessary to calculate a sufficient force to cause us to change orbit enough to hit the sun within 40 years?

Soul Taker

Sounds like the explosion itself would probably kill us before we hit the sun.

iago

Quote from: Grok on September 10, 2003, 05:50 PM
Quote from: Adron on September 10, 2003, 05:44 PM

I'm skeptical whether we can generate sufficient force to cause the Earth to fall into the Sun within our lifetimes.

Well, I'm 20, and I can expect to live till about 70, so let's aim for about 51 years :)

Adron

How much energy do we need? Is it similar to the earth's kinetic energy?

iago

Well, I heard somewhere that the earth weighs 6 terragrams, which would be 6000 gigagrams, 6,000,000 kilograms, or 6 billion grams.  Correct me if I'm wrong there :)

Since the formula is F=ma, to get reasonable acceleration (let's say, 1000 (km/h)/s) we would have to put 1000 * 3.6 = 3600m/s^2 accelleration onto it, so the necessary force would be 3600 * 6,000,000,000,000 or 21,600,000,000,000,000J of force on it.  Good luck! :-)

EvilCheese

A small antimatter explosion in the path of the planet should do it.

Or we could always vent the warp plasma. That normally works. :P

Adron

Quote from: iago on September 11, 2003, 12:14 PM
Well, I heard somewhere that the earth weighs 6 terragrams, which would be 6000 gigagrams, 6,000,000 kilograms, or 6 billion grams.  Correct me if I'm wrong there :)

Since the formula is F=ma, to get reasonable acceleration (let's say, 1000 (km/h)/s) we would have to put 1000 * 3.6 = 3600m/s^2 accelleration onto it, so the necessary force would be 3600 * 6,000,000,000,000 or 21,600,000,000,000,000J of force on it.  Good luck! :-)

Try calculating the kinetic energy of earth instead and see if we want to land it over a period over 50 years what power input we need to feed it.

j0k3r

Note: We will burn up far before we actually hit the sun...

I say we make solar powered jetpacks and attach it to the back of the earth, so the closer we get the more power we get! Thereby eliminating some of our suffering...

Or we can slowly push the earth closer with small explosions over a couple years.
QuoteAnyone attempting to generate random numbers by deterministic means is, of course, living in a state of sin
John Vo

Grok

Quote from: Adron on September 11, 2003, 11:55 AM
How much energy do we need? Is it similar to the earth's kinetic energy?

Some portion of it.  Remember the gravitational acceleration will play a factor in helping us along.  We just need a powerful enough nudge to slow down.

I'd think we merely have to slowing down some so that our "falling" towards the sun isn't equalled by our perpendicular kinetic energy.

Are we on the right track?

Grok

Some algorithms to start us on our journey to the sun.

http://www.edu-observatory.org/eo/algorithms.html

http://www.xylem.f2s.com/kepler/

http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/eph_info.html

Our position on a given day( the Earth-sun "ephemeris"):
 http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/cgi-bin/eph

http://www.fourmilab.ch/cgi-bin/uncgi/Solar

Remember, I don't have the math knowledge to do this.

Soul Taker

Quote from: j0k3r on September 11, 2003, 03:28 PM
Note: We will burn up far before we actually hit the sun...

I say we make solar powered jetpacks and attach it to the back of the earth, so the closer we get the more power we get! Thereby eliminating some of our suffering...

Or we can slowly push the earth closer with small explosions over a couple years.
May wish to note that the earth rotates every day, so the 'back' of it is not the back for long!

Hitmen

Let's hope no might-be terrorists read this. You could be giving them ideas!

iago

Terrorists want to get their point across.. if everybody was dead, there would be nobody to say, "Damn, we should have listened to their demands!"