• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Fun with hardware replacement

Started by Zakath, September 08, 2003, 05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zakath

Here we are making sure my roommate's computer works after replacing his power supply. :)
Quote from: iago on February 02, 2005, 03:07 PM
Yes, you can't have everybody...contributing to the main source repository.  That would be stupid and create chaos.

Opensource projects...would be dumb.

iago

I don't see the humour, although I had a friend who used to have a computer without much of a case, so it pretty much looked like that anyway :)
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Yoni

Bah, not as many wires as there should be.

I once had an eviler situation - connecting a HD of one computer to another computer. I was only going to copy whatever data to the host computer before reformatting the HD in question, and preferred to not transfer it over the LAN for reasons I can't now recall.

So instead of removing the HD (which would mean unscrewing some screws, etc.) I just opened both computers and connected the power and IDE cable from the host computer to the HD in the second computer. I wish I had a camera, it looked like a 21st century heart transplant :)

iago

Why cross the power over?  Should just use comp1's power and comp2's IDE cable, then turn them both on :)

Soul Taker

Everyone should have thumbscrews for their computer so they don't need to use a screwdriver to unscrew things!
http://www.thinkgeek.com/pcmods/cables/5b70/

j0k3r

Quote from: iago on September 08, 2003, 08:38 PM
Why cross the power over?  Should just use comp1's power and comp2's IDE cable, then turn them both on :)

I'd guess that the second computer doesn't have power for whatever reason...
QuoteAnyone attempting to generate random numbers by deterministic means is, of course, living in a state of sin
John Vo

iago

All you need to do is plug it in and turn it on, nothing would actually have to be working.  Unless the powersupply is shot :-/

Adron

Yoni

Don't remember... Didn't have enough free power outlets to plug in the second computer, I think.