• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Wanting to join --

Started by ShadowEmpire, August 04, 2003, 09:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arta

I agree, and I also agree with grok. It would be much better to keep track of every user's idle time and then have a .kick/banidleusers command. I think there's a degree to which automation should be avoided, apart from autobans and suchlike.

Also, once again, I'd like to voice my strong objection to protect/protectvl being turned on or off automatically.

Raven

We prefer silence. We'd rather have it blank for when someone says something intelligent and people who were afk at the time could notice it, instead of having the "good" posts be drowned out by:

[11:23:09]<*>: YONI HWO DO I USE BINARYHAT?!?!?!?!?!

[09:33:02]<*>: CAN I HAVE A BNLS ACCOUNT?

[09:34:50]<*>: YUO GUYS ARE GAY! YUO GUYS ARE GAY!

[14:33:55]<*>: SKYWNIG ARE YOU DER?!?!

[11:23:09]<UserLoser.> [insert text here]

and so on. You get the picture.  ;)

iago

Quote from: Kp on August 08, 2003, 11:52 AM
I had previously not heard views from anyone who found it desirable to listen to a batch of unknown users talking among themselves without any input from the members / channel regs.  In all the occasions of that which I have witnessed, the unknown users are acting inane or discussing topics in which I have no interest (and I would be surprised if it interested others, since the topic is frequently the number of wins/losses on [vL]Grok and Winner[vL]).

Also, to address a minor point, the decision is not random at all.  All automoderation is fundamentally event-driven -- the rules are only checked when the bot wakes up to process incoming traffic from the server.  Thus, you can predict with pretty good accuracy when a "random" event will occur, providing no one else intervenes first or reconfigures it. :)

I don't think anybody has a problem with "randomban", more with "random bans".  It's idlekick/idleban that are an issue here.

I agree that idlekicking or idlebanning people is rather bad, since it does encourage people to make noise rather than sit quietly.  I'd prefer somebody to sit quietly if they don't have anything to say.  Perhaps somebody should post a poll about this?  I would, but I think people are tired of my polls :D
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Grok

Quote from: Kp on August 08, 2003, 11:52 AM
I had previously not heard views from anyone who found it desirable to listen to a batch of unknown users talking among themselves without any input from the members / channel regs.  In all the occasions of that which I have witnessed, the unknown users are acting inane or discussing topics in which I have no interest (and I would be surprised if it interested others, since the topic is frequently the number of wins/losses on [vL]Grok and Winner[vL]).

Also, to address a minor point, the decision is not random at all.  All automoderation is fundamentally event-driven -- the rules are only checked when the bot wakes up to process incoming traffic from the server.  Thus, you can predict with pretty good accuracy when a "random" event will occur, providing no one else intervenes first or reconfigures it. :)

We've already tried the keyword ban, ala "winbot", and that sadly turned into an attraction.  So I cannot suggest banning people who talk about the wins/losses on those names.  However maybe you can add filters to your client if there are certain things you do not wish to view?  *win||loss*grok||winner*

Similar to what you point out, I do not feel in most cases that I am really missing anything by these people being autokicked.

However, as a member, I don't think the bot should have an opinion.  ZeroBot was never voted as a member, and should not be making kick/ban decisions on its own, even if it thinks that "If a member was present, he would kick/ban this person now".

P.S.  The exception being rules to which I think nobody objects?  Like spam bans.  I don't believe I've ever heard a member complaint about Zerobot making that decision.

ShadowEmpire

Hey Grok, can we talk sometime about be joining?  Perhaps we can get to know eachother better, and I can get on your good side ;)

iago

So what Grok's saying is that we have to make ZB a member of the clan.. all we need is for 2 leaders to approve him and the members to vote on him :)

mavrick_kr

I just want to get to know everyone so I can chat with vL members in a while. Considering I dont to be banned on site. Read all the rules. So basically if they dont like you, then you get banned.

Hazard

It isn't so much if they like you or not. Its whether it looks like it would be fun to ban you or not.

!~!HaZaRD!~!

"Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway." --John Wayne

j0k3r

Quote from: mavrick_kr on August 09, 2003, 11:48 PM
I just want to get to know everyone so I can chat with vL members in a while. Considering I dont to be banned on site. Read all the rules. So basically if they dont like you, then you get banned.
Anyone understand what he said?

The Idle Kick/Ban is good if you guys use the channels for yourselves, there are plenty of communities people can go to to learn Binaryhat, and they can come to the site to get a BNLS account, so there isn't really any need for them to be in the channel anyways.
QuoteAnyone attempting to generate random numbers by deterministic means is, of course, living in a state of sin
John Vo

iago

People complain that they want to get to know members by staying in the channel.  The problem is, most people are annoying/stupid...

Raven

Quote from: iago on August 10, 2003, 08:33 AM
People complain that they want to get to know members by staying in the channel.  The problem is, most people are annoying/stupid...

Prettymuch that. People say they want to "get to know members" because they want to get into the clan. It takes waaaay more than that. So they hang around in the channel, and then start asking about joining, which results in a ban (those that complain about being banned don't really improve their chances either ;) ).

hismajesty

hehe, think of it this way you guys are very popular and have tons of adoring fans that drool at the sighting of you.

j0k3r

Quote from: Raven on August 10, 2003, 09:26 AM
...(those that complain about being banned don't really improve their chances either ;) ).
Doesn't hurt their chances either  :P

Aye, this clan (like most "l337" clans) with even a few intelligent members is highly regarded because of the friendships of the members and the independantness(sp?word?) of it.
QuoteAnyone attempting to generate random numbers by deterministic means is, of course, living in a state of sin
John Vo

hismajesty

yep id prefer to lead a small clan with smart people over a big or semi big clan with dumb people (which i have now)

Raven

Doesn't hurt their chances either  

You're right, things that don't exist really can't be hurt, can they? ;D

|