• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

Argh! Frustrated!

Started by MyndFyre, July 21, 2003, 04:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MyndFyre

Hey folks...

[vL], I love your site.  Fantastic...  I can't wait to see the rest of the content when it gets posted.  :-)  I've only recently discovered your guys' site.

Anyway, I'm trying to get onto B.net, and I have about 3 or 4 dozen features I want to incorporate into a Bot, the biggest of which is integration into my website through a web service... but the problem is that I've only been programming in .NET.  That's what I've learned on, and while I'm pretty darn good at writing in C# and Visual Basic, blasted if I look at some C code.  It's like kryptonite to Superman.

I have a nice relational database, some plans for a really nice plugin API that is completely event-driven, etc., and most of all I was really impressed with EternalChat's clan support since Blizzard just released it (so I'd like to add that, too).  But I can't figure out this packet stuff!

I mean, maybe if I could see a list of the algorithms, I could do it without looking at anybody's code.  I mean, if I could see:

Send over socket:
0x04
(DWORD) Product ID
0x0e
Close socket

I could probably do it.  But who's willing to share _all_ of your algorithms with me, or whatnot?  I mean, shoot, I'm looking over the BNLS protocol and then boom!  I need to know about the Battle.net chat protocol as well.  Argh!

Anyway, sorry to vent and rant here.  I really appreciate the [vL] forum here and all the great programming stuff around.  If anyone's willing to take me under their wing here (or to slap me around and tell me to quit whining), my clan e-mail is [email protected], or catch me on AIM as DarkTemplar AoA.

Thanks folks.  I appreciate the help.  =)

--Rob
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

Eibro

Eibro of Yeti Lovers.

Grok

Quote from: Myndfyre on July 21, 2003, 04:28 AMblasted if I look at some C code.  It's like kryptonite to Superman.

Superman understands kryptonite perfectly well.

iago

It's more like kryptonite to The Hulk.. he has no idea what it is :)
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

DarkMinion

QuoteI'm looking over the BNLS protocol and then boom!  I need to know about the Battle.net chat protocol as well.

Allow me to translate into two different languages:

AOLer:
IMM LOKNG OV3R DA BNLS PRO2COL AND THEN BOM11!11!! OMG WTF I NED 2 KNOW ABOUT DA BATLEN3T1!!1 CHAT PRO2COL AS WEL!1!!!!! OMG

Newbie:
I don't know what the hell I'm doing, can someone please give me code so I don't have to do any work?!?!??!?!!? THX ^_^

Eternal

QuoteIf anyone's willing to take me under their wing here (or to slap me around and tell me to quit whining)

<Gets in the first slap>
^-----silly Brit
-----------------------------
www.brimd.com

Camel

Quote from: Grok on July 21, 2003, 06:35 AM
Quote from: Myndfyre on July 21, 2003, 04:28 AMblasted if I look at some C code.  It's like kryptonite to Superman.

Superman understands kryptonite perfectly well.

But he can't look at it.

Camel

Quote from: DarkMinion on July 21, 2003, 07:22 AM
QuoteI'm looking over the BNLS protocol and then boom!  I need to know about the Battle.net chat protocol as well.

Allow me to translate into two different languages:

AOLer:
IMM LOKNG OV3R DA BNLS PRO2COL AND THEN BOM11!11!! OMG WTF I NED 2 KNOW ABOUT DA BATLEN3T1!!1 CHAT PRO2COL AS WEL!1!!!!! OMG

Newbie:
I don't know what the hell I'm doing, can someone please give me code so I don't have to do any work?!?!??!?!!? THX ^_^

You forgot the ";~~~~~."

MyndFyre

LoL thanks fellas for the encouraging remarks.  No, I'm not an AOL LUser (my mom is tho  :P) but I am definitely a newb to the socket communications crap.  Tho, I am more than happy to code whatever I need to.

I've tried several times to get into BNetDocs but whenever I go I get a nice notice that "We're sorry, but BnetDocs is currently unavailable."  If anyone has it cached or offline, that would be great =) ty

--Rob
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

iago

Arta's offline for a few days, so that might explain it :-)
This'll make an interesting test for broken AV:
QuoteX5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Adron

And btw, if you show us some progress, you're likely to get a lot of help. For now, you're classified as "lots of ideas, lots of talk, but will there be anything once he realizes it's lots of work?". Noone wants to spend lots of time helping you unless you're spending really lots of time yourself. You're supposed to be doing the major part of the work, not people on the forum.

Most people can think of 3 dozen features they'd like to have in their bot, but few actually add them.

tA-Kane

Quote from: Adron on July 22, 2003, 08:36 AMMost people can think of 3 dozen features they'd like to have in their bot, but few actually add them.
I'll get around to doing that... eventually...
Macintosh programmer and enthusiast.
Battle.net Bot Programming: http://www.bash.org/?240059
I can write programs. Can you right them?

http://www.clan-mac.com
http://www.eve-online.com

Camel

Quote from: Adron on July 22, 2003, 08:36 AMMost people can think of 3 dozen features they'd like to have in their bot, but few actually add them.

Tip to the people Adron is referring to: keep a changelog and a wishlist. Example.

MyndFyre

Tonight (at work) I plan on sitting down and doing some high-level planning and then designing a user interface; I think for now, I'll make it event-driven and set up some kind of Battle.net fake (just so that I can see how everything responds) and also set up the core plugin API.  I'll keep you posted and will probably set up a site on my clan's site.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.  =)