• Welcome to Valhalla Legends Archive.

PvPGN and BNet use different format for getadvlistex answer

Started by xpeh, March 06, 2010, 01:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MyndFyre

QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

Quote from: chyea on January 16, 2009, 05:05 PM
You've just located global warming.

xpeh

Most interesting, starcraft undestands both formats. How is it possible?
Is pvpgn's format some kind of old format?

Sveet

I thought PvPGN required a loader, and the loader changed some of the packets

MyndFyre

Quote from: Sveet on March 09, 2010, 09:06 PM
Correct.
QuoteEvery generation of humans believed it had all the answers it needed, except for a few mysteries they assumed would be solved at any moment. And they all believed their ancestors were simplistic and deluded. What are the odds that you are the first generation of humans who will understand reality?

After 3 years, it's on the horizon.  The new JinxBot, and BN#, the managed Battle.net Client library.

xpeh

Quote from: Sveet on March 09, 2010, 09:06 PM
Only for war3, since war3 has no other possibility to add server other than official battle.net. Other games do not require loaders.

And, as i wrote, starcraft undestands both formats.

Hdx

Thats because they are the same size, SC just handles the data how it always does.
But anyways, no one cares how PvPGN screws up.

Proud host of the JBLS server www.JBLS.org.
JBLS.org Status:
JBLS/BNLS Server Status

xpeh

But they have different positions!
The topic is not only about pvpgn, but also why clients work properly. Pvpgn surely won't use this format if it didn't work with clients.

MyndFyre

Quote from: xpeh on March 10, 2010, 08:19 PM
But they have different positions!
The topic is not only about pvpgn, but also why clients work properly. Pvpgn surely won't use this format if it didn't work with clients.
Why not take it to the pvpgn people? 

I realize the board is slow, but discussing pvpgn here is pretty much irrelevant.

xpeh

Because i'm not discussing pvpgn, i am discussing battle.net clients!!!!!. The question was - how can client find these values, if they are placed on different positions?

As for pvpgn, the probability they change something in 1.8.x is little - since anything work for game clients.

Hdx

Because SC doesn't give a shit about the 1st 8 bytes of the game info, it merely copies them to a buffer and never uses them again as far as I can see.
It uses the game statstring to get the game info.
Anyways, Once again, nobody gives a shit about PvPGN! Quit posting crap unrelated to real battle.net.

JBLS.org Status:
JBLS/BNLS Server Status

xpeh

Dude, it is related to battle.net clients, and if word pvpgn works on you like a red cloth on a bull, go to your retarded sbot forum and suck together with other idiots.

xpeh

Btw, is game type also encoded in statstring? And why all this info including locale id is sent if it's never used?

Hdx

Its not PvPGN itself that throws up a red flag, its the fact that it seems to be the only thing you know and you think it's the defacto implementation of BNCS protocol, and you use an old version of it at that.
Its a well known fact by anyone who has taken the time to look at PvPGN that it does A LOT of things incorrectly, they use the many defunct or unused parts of the protocol to guess and make there own version of the protocol.
If the development community around PvPGN was better we'd prolly invite more discussion of it.

As for why bnet still sends this data, once again, bnet does a lot of weird things, and sends a lot of data the clients don't actually use. I would assume they decided a ascii encoded comma separated string was more 'forward compatible' then the binary form of game info. It also allows for different types of formats in the same message block.

I don't remember when they changed the functional format, so I can't tell you why they did it. But anyways, about 5 mins of poking around in Battle.snp showed me exactly why they were allowed to get away with these types of things. Maybe you should try it, it'll teach you a lot about the current state of the Bnet protocol, and get you more in tuned to what you should actually care about when it comes to what PvPGN does.

JBLS.org Status:
JBLS/BNLS Server Status

Sveet

Hdx i would be interested in learning how to "poke around" battle.snp

also, i thought this argument could have been ended by saying "this is discussion about battle.net clients not PvPGN clients"